1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Stout vs KBS vs Parabola

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by LiquidCourage, Jan 4, 2013.

1. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Hmm that's interesting. I'd love to hear someone from deschutes chime in but I'm not sure if they have any people on BA.
  2. IMO Parabola is the best of the 3. KBS is delicious fresh, not as much with age. BCBS is delicious with age, and a hot booze bomb fresh. (That said, the 2012 BCBS is actually a very nice beer fresh.)

They're all great in different ways though.
    Lordkrystic likes this.
  3. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

I find this hilarious. Before the server crash people were freaking out and preaching that Abacus and Parabola were better fresh and fall off a cliff with age. I do agree though, I had a 2011 Batch 2 with six months on it and was superb.

For me BCBS has the biggest and best integrated bourbon profile. KBS is a solid coffee stout with a tamer bourbon profile. Parabola is somewhere in the middle.
  4. timfoolery

timfoolery Zealot (75) California Apr 16, 2012

Fascinating...so, are these just better aged then? Haha... Which do you prefer with the identical (or close to) amounts of aging between them? It's best to keep the ages the same in a head-to-head matchup, yes?
  5. phisigben

phisigben Savant (355) Kentucky Jan 8, 2009

Fresh:
    Parabola>KBS>BCBS

Aged:
    BCBS>KBS>Parabola
    luwak likes this.
  6. AttitudeBrew

AttitudeBrew Aficionado (120) Texas Aug 20, 2009

Ive had them all, They just dont come to my neck of the woods.
    I would have to go with KBS Parabola BCBS
  7. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I don't really know what you'd be looking for up here in RI. At least beer wise. We're coming up, though.
  8. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

I like to serve my beers side by side! Its the only way that I can tell which beer I like best.
  9. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Clear example of how subjective and fickle our palates can be!

Makes me want to get my hands on some Parabola to try.
  10. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

If we do these "vs" threads can we at least do it on beers that are somewhat similar? The only thing these 3 beers have in common is they're barrel aged...how bout bbpt5th vs bcbs or something where they're at least around the same abv and no extra ingredients like coffee or chocolate. Just a thought...no offense to the op.
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  11. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Best order to have them is done blindly..
    luwak and Jules11788 like this.
  12. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (390) California Feb 15, 2011

I like Parabola the best (though they're all fantastic), but apparently I'm in the minority on that one
    tacosandbeer and Lordkrystic like this.
  13. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (465) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

Agreed. Parabola was junk for B3.
  14. amp138

amp138 Savant (295) Rhode Island Dec 21, 2011

Rhode Islander here, wanna be friends
  15. I just figured those are the three best known, most "widely" available BA stouts. I'm sure if we searched high and low we might find a beer that is better than all three.

bbpt5th is not nearly as well known as the other three, so I figured I'd focus on them. More importantly, I have all three.
    tronto likes this.
  16. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Parabola for the win.

I once thought that KBS was king but after trying Parabola, I'll never look back. BCBS is pretty good but I think it's overrated slightly. :cool:
  17. Havent had Parabola but Ive had KBS and BCBS and I prefer KBS. It all depends on how much bourbon you want in your beer. BCBS is way stronger than KBS when it comes to the bourbon. I just think KBS is a lot smoother to drink
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  18. I'm a bigger fan of drinking one of them only in three consecutive nights.

That way you can enjoy the full aspects of what each have to offer on their own, whereas a clear winner is better determined.

I find when you try beers side by side, some offset the flavors of another, whereas you're not able to fully appreciate each one for what it is.

Then again, a solid pallate cleanser can cause a good debate to what I just stated...

My .02
  19. BCBS
    Parabola
    KBS
    All are really fantastic tho! I think aged in that order as well.
  20. My order of preference is:

1) Bourbon County
    2) Parabola
    3) KBS

This years Bourbon County is still a little hot, but it's not surprising considering that it's 15%. I can pretty much drink Parabola at any time. I'm not really too big of a fan of KBS. I had it side by side next to BCBS and it just seemed like it was lacking depth. All are good though and you'll like enjoy em all, so have fun.
  21. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

I find all 3 to be great beers for different reasons., but KBS is my favorite. I feel like it has a little more "finesse" to it
  22. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (215) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

When I had it at the PDX Brew Pub, the server told me that the recipe is the same, but the barrels are different every year depending on what is available. It's still ambiguous if it means they use fresh barrels of the same type every time, use approximately similar barrels depending on what's available, or if they deliberately experiment with the barrels from batch to batch.

At any rate, in the vertical tasting the 2011 version was markedly different from the other versions. I can't believe that the difference was due to aging since there was no similar difference between the older vintages, or even between 2012 and the older ones. I think it's more likely that they deliberately experiment with the barrels.
  23. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Just had my first KBS a few days ago (a '12) and though it was nice it certainly didn't live up to the hype around it. I also had my first BCBS a few months ago and it surpassed expectations. I have never had Parabola but I'm hoping to find some this year.
  24. Absolut

Absolut Savant (420) California Sep 19, 2011

i almost want to report you! but, as i watch people go to places with 80 taps and order corona i've learned taste is relative. and no, i dont mean to call you a Corona drinker!

love Parabola, never had the other 2. was outbid several times on Ebay before sales were stopped.
    Bakker likes this.
  25. That's just like, your opinion... man :)
  26. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

Everyone's opinion is subjective, so the only way to find out for is to drink them and decide for yourself. I suggest in this order if consumed in the same night: KBS -> Parabola -> BCBS.

Most of the posts have valid points, But since we're giving opinions my taste preference is as follows

1, BCBS
    2, Parabola
    3, KBS

I also found that they age best in that order as well.
  27. dbc5

dbc5 Savant (455) Ohio Jun 18, 2009

The correct answer is Bourbon Barrel Plead the Fifth ;). In all seriousness, both BB Plead and KBS are in my top 3. BCBS is also awesome. Never had the pleasure of enjoying Parabola.
  28. Bakker

Bakker Savant (285) Illinois Aug 1, 2010

I agree. Get yourself a bunch of glasses and run a flight.
  29. Parabola = #1
    KBS/BCBS = #2/#3 tie for me

Love all three!
    tacosandbeer and ChanChan like this.
  30. I had KBS and BCBS last night. Still a tie. One has a great coffee finsh, the other a strong bourbon finish. BCBS was finishing a little sweet last night, so if I was forced to, I'd put KBS ahead of BCBS. Still, KBS is almost impossible to come by in this part of the country and BCBS was rather easy to find...
  31. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

You have a weird Palate duderino!!
    mrkmrk and Lordkrystic like this.
  32. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

This guy gets it. BBPt5 is right up there in the conversation. It knocks Parabola on its ass. I waver between KBS, BCBS, and BBPt5, depending on the day.