1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon vs. Rye Whiskey Oak Aging

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by beertographer, Nov 27, 2012.

1. beertographer

beertographer Zealot (75) Colorado Aug 19, 2011

I brewed a breakfast stout that I'm about ready to rack to my secondary, but I'm not sure what to soak my oak chips in. I've got a bottle of Leopold Bros. Maryland Style Rye Whiskey but not sure if that would add too much of the rye spice and throw off the smoothness of the breakfast stout. Anyone have any recommendations for a favorite whiskey/bourbon they've used?
  2. I've said it before and I'll say it again.....Buffalo Trace!!!

But there are some others that I really enjoy: Elijah Craig 12yr, Maker's Mark, & Woodford Reserve.

I don't think the Rye Whiskey will add too much spice if you keep it to a minimum. I've had a handful of Rye whiskey barrel aged stouts, barleywines, scotch ales, etc. and I think it just integrates a nice subtle whiskey character while allowing the wood to shine more than a typical american bourbon - sure their is some spice, but if you use it wisely you can get it just right!

Cheers,

Kyle
  3. MrOH

MrOH Savant (440) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

If you're going for smooth, use a canadian or irish whiskey.
  4. +1 for Buffalo Trace. Reasonably priced and excellent bourbon.
  5. Completely agree with this. I added some rye whiskey (High West Double Rye) soaked oak cubes to a winter warmer and did not get much spice, if any, out of it. Still good though.
  6. I'm aging on oak cubes soaked for 3+ months in Forty Creek Rye. So far so good, and it's picking up a bit of rye character which I think matches the molasses nature of this beer well.
  7. d4radio

d4radio Aficionado (180) Colorado Jun 2, 2011

I have some oak staves from a recently cut up buffalo trace barrel if you'd be interested in those?
  8. So after aging for 2 months my winter warmer that was aged on rye whiskey soaked oak now has some nutmeg/ginger fllavors emerging will the fesh oak flavors are dissipating.