1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

Bramble Rye BCBS in Indy

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by awhipker, Feb 23, 2012.

1. awhipker

awhipker Aficionado (230) Indiana Oct 15, 2010

Did anyone ever see it on the shelves in Indy? I was lucky enough to be in the right place and the right time and got a bottle. I was talking to the beer guy at the southside Crown and he said they only got 2 for their store and 2 cases for the entire chain.

2. aasher

aasher Poobah (1,040) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

This is true. Crown got two and Kahns got two. I think Payless got one.

3. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

UPL got two as well

4. damngoode

damngoode Savant (325) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

Beer Sellar got a case, too.

5. biggred1

biggred1 Savant (350) Indiana Mar 27, 2008

Payless got 2 cases sir.

6. aasher

Yeah, but they fleece beergeeks. It's only what, $40 per bottle.

7. damngoode

If you've got the dime, why not splurge?

8. aasher

That's not the point. They're taking advantage of people. $35 for a King Henry? It costs them roughly 12.25 per bottle. That markup is absurd. Bramble cost less than $10 per bottle so $40 is beyond laughable. It's bad business practices and I know quite a few people who won't go there ever again because of this.

9. awhipker

awhipker Aficionado (230) Indiana Oct 15, 2010

I agree that it is a little absurd but that's the reality of what things have come to in the craft beer world. Restaurants, beer stores, and the like know the potential value of highly sought after beers and they will jack the prices up knowing that many craft beer drinkers will pay outrageous prices for it. However, I would expect to pay a premium for a bomber at a restaurant or craft beer bar. I once paid around $16-18 for a bomber of a Stone beer (dont remember which beer) at a restaurant in Chicago and was ok with that.

10. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I am one of those people that won't go there. Sure they are entitled to a mark-up, but at ~300-400% gouging I will choose to go without. I am sure that breaks a lot of Indy BAs hearts as it just means more for them :) There are many other places around town that will appreciate my business.

11. aasher

You missed the part where they had King Henry for $27 until they saw how badly people wanted it. Then they jacked up the price further. For reference sake, the Indy Cigar Bar had King Henry for $20. The Beer Sellar's actions are indefensible. They're fleecing beergeeks. We don't have to accept it.

MordorMongo likes this.
  12. damngoode

Wow, I didn't know about that price adjustment! I'll have to swing by Indy Cigar more often!

It IS a bummer to see that kind of price on a beer, but I try to factor in all the dough I'd have to spend to find it otherwise... It doesn't matter to me how much a place makes on the beer as long as I'm cool with the price. Yah, $40 is steep, but how else would I get it? I've run into the same problem with Pappy Van Winkle bourbon... I'd pay $10-12 for a shot, just to taste it since it sells out as soon as it hits the shelves and the 2ndary market tops $150 for a bottle (sigh). Don't get me wrong, I don't LIKE paying a lot for these rarities, but I DO like tasting them.