1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brand Loyalty

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by therobot, Mar 2, 2012.

?

Rate your loyalty

1. Loyal

8.8%
  2. Semi-loyal

52.9%
  3. Can't nail me to one brewery, too much to try!

38.2%
  1. therobot

therobot Aficionado (215) Minnesota Jun 10, 2010

The question of brand loyalty, or lack there of, amongst my friends has come up many an evening. On my rounds of some of my regular beer blogs, I read this article (http://www.beerreviewsprofsudz.com/2012/03/craft-beers-problem.html) which touched on the issue more than I've seen on most blogs. While it still leaves an open ended question it's going to get me thinking about my beer habits and perhaps supporting the breweries I want to see stay in my market with a little more intention than I had before.

That being said I think that if I have regulars, others must too, and while the craft breweries may not have the brand loyalty the big boys (BMC) do, my fickle loyalty plus multiple others' probably result in a pretty solid base, at least I hope so because I don't see myself becoming a one brewery consumer anytime soon.

A brewery makes my regular list by having an all-around solid line-up, if they can meet my moods with an array of product, and I know they make a quality beer. My best example is Founder's, everything in their offering just does it for me and I know I'll enjoy a regular six-pack, seasonal, or specialty release from them.

What are your favorites? Do you think the exploratory nature of the craft beer enthusiast is detrimental to the market?

Cheers!

2. I have a fierce loyalty to any brewery that is not BMC. that being said, I try to balance buying lots of new beers I have not had the oppurtunity to try with buying local/regional beers.

3. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I'm not terribly loyal to any brewery, though I have a lot of favorites (Town Hall, Founders, Bell's, etc.).

That being said, there's only been a few days in the past 4-5 years when there's been no Surly in my fridge. They'd be the brewery with the most constant presence in my liver.

4. bound4er

bound4er Savant (435) Wisconsin Jul 4, 2007

I checked semi-loyal. If a brewery is gonna produce a mediocre beer, there's no way I am buying it no matter where my loyalties lie.

5. MidtownMark

MidtownMark Aficionado (130) Kansas Jul 15, 2005

I try to drink local when out... and when at home drink from anywhere... this is a problem at times.

6. MBrausen

MBrausen Savant (265) Minnesota May 24, 2011

Same. I drink Town Hall mostly when I do go out. Otherwise, I try all kinds of new beers whenever I can. Yeah I like Surly, and I buy a lot as trade extras, but it's usually only the seasonal beers that are in my fridge to drink. Otherwise, there is usually something new to try out there.

7. I too like to try new things... but I'm aware of the need to support the brands I value best with regular purchases. If we don't provide the needed level of financial support, we may began losing companies that do business here. I think this will be very important over the next few years as a substantial group of local start-ups hit the scene. With craft/specialty beer drinkers growing in number, the biggest question for me is will there be enough volume to support everyone?

Ungertaker likes this.
  8. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

I think there will be enough volume. It is the potential loss of those we already have that concerns me. I am not bound to anyone brand, but I do have my staples I purchase on a regular basis (Surly, Central Waters, Founders, Tallgrass (and Lift Bridge when they bottle Hop Prop) among others.

9. Otis32

Otis32 Aficionado (135) Minnesota Jan 1, 2011

I am more of a creature of habit and tend to be more loyal to styles than brands.

Pretty much at all times I like to keep a hoppy pale ale or an IPA in the fridge as well a darker malty beer. Right now I'm transitioning from Tyranena Oatmeal stout to the Brau Brothers Cherry Bean and my hop forward choice of the moment is Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. Next week I hope to grab some Tallgrass 8-bit.

In the context of the styles I often lean to the local brands but far from always.

10. I stick to almost all local brew when I go out(Surly, Fulton, Summit, Liftbridge) and when I am home its about a 50/50 mix. The reason I go for out of state beers is just because there are certain styles that I like that are just not made year around here or are just not made at all in MN. I like sours but we don't produce any unless you count Five or some of the other limited sours that have been produced. I also drink a lot of Double IPA's and Stouts but again the truly good ones made in MN seem are all very limited or seasonal products. When I have the urge for a RIS its tough to find a locally made one that is available in May. Anyway you get my point.

11. People in the beer industry have come to view the craft beer drinker as a person who is not brand loyal. Many of the distributors can't handle it and hope one day to see more loyalty in my opinion it will never happen again in regards to craft beer. They view the beer geek as a great drinker to try the latest, greatest thing but the distributor and retailer knows the honeymoon selling period to be less than three maybe four months tops. If it does not sell well it will be discounted and on to the next greatest brewery. They also know the beer geek to be the most vocal but they are in the minority the industry folks know they make up 1 to 5% of the buying public. Beer geeks love hoppy beer but the best selling brews are all well balanced beers made for the average craft beer drinker. Breweries who are a making out of balance hoppy beers with loads of flavor draw a chance of being a niche. Some breweries are fine with that but if they want to grow to the levels of New Glarus they better have a well balanced beer in their portfolio that sells. If we look at all the breweries making beer more than 100,000 barrels of beer almost all of them brew beer the average craft drinker likes. When breweries leave their home market the out of town distributor/retailer looks for some loyalty because it shows the beer will sell. It seems the beer industry loves and hates the beer geek they are loyal to a point.

CaptainBeir likes this.
  12. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

Very true! I think Lift Bridge and Summit are great examples (locally) of being well-balanced. I like the way they are seemingly following New Glarus' model. The beers that make up their main lineup of six-packs are very well-balanced, while their special release beers draw in the "beer geeks." Hopefully, more breweries will take this example, thereby allowing for both sustained sales and innovation that draws the 1-5%.