1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brau Bros. - Bancreagie Sour Peated Ale

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BottleCaps80, Dec 26, 2013.

1. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Anybody know any more about this beer? I'm assuming it will be the next large format release from Brau Bros? I was initially thinking maybe it's a smoked Berliner Weisse or something, but the ABV is much too high for that at 11.5%. Is it their Scotch Ale that's been soured with Lacto/Pedio or something?

[​IMG]
    BrettHead likes this.
  2. theCoder

theCoder Savant (330) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

3. jkwikkel

jkwikkel Aficionado (235) Iowa Mar 18, 2008

Had it at the brewery last month. It was decent. Really confused about the relationship between it and the peated scotch Bancreagie.
  4. BottleCaps80

So I'm assuming the Scotch Bancreagie is NOT the base beer that just been soured then? Yeah, that is strange they keep the association to Bancreagie, unless that's where they get the peat used or something?
  5. mjryan

mjryan Savant (480) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Could it be a ramped up, soured version of Bancreagie perhaps?
  6. BottleCaps80

I'm really interested to try this beer. Sounds as though it could be very unique. Hope we see it in Iowa!
  7. jkwikkel

I'm sure I'll see plenty of it in Sioux Falls otherwise.

Lol, my coworker is bragging to me about getting his sister hammered at the brewery in Marshall this past weekend.
  8. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

Looks interesting. I want to like their regular Bancreagie so bad but there's almost no carbonation which just kills it for me.
  9. DrZeus10

DrZeus10 Savant (265) Minnesota Jun 1, 2013

From MNBeer.com:
    "Brau Brothers barrel-aged, a bigger, smokier version of Bancreagie for about 8 months and soured it with lacto."
  10. BottleCaps80

Wow...that sounds great!
  11. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

I hope it is intentionally sour, as opposed to being a follow up to their Rye Wine and BBQ that got infected.

/me crosses fingers :)
    bwiechmann and maximum12 like this.
  12. morimech

morimech Advocate (675) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Did you not read two posts up?
    Cyclone8 likes this.
  13. BottleCaps80

This is getting bottled today!
  14. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

Style wise, it sounds like they took the concept for an old ale, and applied it to a scotch ale. Maybe

Either way, I want
  15. egrace84

egrace84 Champion (800) Illinois Mar 25, 2012

Guess I lucked out on my bottles of rye wyne and BBQ. Neither were infected. Didn't know there were infection issues w/ these two.
  16. BrettHead

I never had infected bottles of them either. I just meant maybe this was going to be a BA Scotch Ale and then things went south.
    bwiechmann likes this.
  17. BottleCaps80

Sounds like they added the lacto to intentionally sour this though. Doubt it was a mistake where they are turning lemons into lemonade?
  18. BrettHead

I hope it's intentional and look forward to trying it (it just sounds like an odd idea whereas a BA Scotch Ale would fit perfectly with the last 750ml hence me wondering). Perhaps it will be like BLVD Stingo which had a little lactic twinge, I could see that working. I was originally imaging much more sour than that.

Not trying to spread FUD was only mentioning it again to say to egrace84 I have had zero infection issues with Rye Wine or their BA Quad.
  19. jkwikkel

Looks like it hit Sioux Falls today. Might have to pick up a bottle or two tomorrow.
    BottleCaps80 likes this.
  20. Any sightings in MN yet?
  21. mnphish

mnphish Savant (365) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

Princeton's for those seeking this one out.
  22. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

[qdon't="BottleCaps80, post: 2051898, member: 712838"]Sounds like they added the lacto to intentionally sour this though. Doubt it was a mistake where they are turning lemons into lemonade?[/quote]
    I don't know. A number of their brews have a salty/smokey flavor. I've thought for a while that Bangreagie was some weird mistake and they decided to call it a peated Scottish ale. Probably wrong. Usually am. Whatever.
  23. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (740) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

I don't know. A number of their brews have a salty/smokey flavor. I've thought for a while that Bangreagie was some weird mistake and they decided to call it a peated Scottish ale. Probably wrong. Usually am. Whatever.[/quote]
    They use cherry wood smoked malt in Bancreagie that's why you're getting a smokey flavor.
  24. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Advocate (540) Iowa Jun 25, 2011

Per a convo with Brau Bros. twitter account, this will not be distributed to eastern Iowa. The distributor declined. Maybe if I bug enough beer guys and ask for it the distributor will change their mind? :(
  25. mia2000

mia2000 Disciple (60) Minnesota Oct 29, 2008

Has anyone seen this in the SW metro area (Chanhassen/Eden Prairie)?
  26. morimech

Just had this. A very impressive beer. More of a Flanders type of beer than a Scottish ale.
    BrettHead likes this.
  27. HoistinBrews

HoistinBrews Savant (370) Minnesota Mar 26, 2011

If you can't find any in that area go a little further down 5 to Waconia. Saw some there.
  28. morimech

Bought a couple more bottles today.
    HoistinBrews likes this.
  29. I second this..tried it at Northgate in Blaine yesterday from a growler. Definitely more Flanders style. I picked up a couple bottles to see how it develops, but it was very tasty right now.
  30. theCoder

theCoder Savant (330) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Same here...had a number of both of those, no infection.
  31. BrettHead

Can't say I care for this one. Very light on the sour. I'm getting a lot of apple juicy flavor that just isn't working for me.
  32. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (230) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

I haven't seen this in the Metro area. How limited is this?
  33. morimech

It hit the western fringes of the metro a couple weeks ago. I know Princeton's got some. Maybe the distributor just has not released it to stores yet or maybe South Dakota got it all:).
    McRyan likes this.
  34. We got a crap ton in Sioux Falls. I locked it up wen it came out and that was well over a month ago now. Still available here if you're looking for it. Not sure on the distribution around Minnesota.
  35. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

i had read your comment before picking up a bottle so it's possible (likely) that this somewhat tainted my view but i also got this impression...it was a really weird beer. i can see why someone might like it as there was a lot going on, but it lacked the sour punch i was hoping it would have.
  36. jkwikkel

werd, I can't believe how much I've seen at hy-vee
  37. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (230) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

Picked up the last bottle at Surdyk's for $13.99. Anyone like enough to hoard a few bottles to age?
  38. morimech

I have a couple that I am planning to age a bit. Try it in six months and a year.
    McRyan likes this.
  39. supersly52

supersly52 Disciple (65) Iowa Oct 11, 2013

I had this about a week ago, I'm a huge sour fan but I didn't enjoy this at all. It had a weird sweet taste like a scotch ale but the sour didn't compliment it, I won't be having it again. It's disappointing because I really wanted to like this beer.
    BrettHead likes this.