1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brauler

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by theCoder, Jan 21, 2013.

1. theCoder

theCoder Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

So I was heading to visit family in Duluth this past weekend and saw a post that well 2 things. Canal Park Brewing Company was open (yea it has been for awhile now, I just haven't been up there since it opened) and I saw they now carried The Brauler (http://thezythosproject.com/).

I was intrigued by these when they had their recent Kickstarter project that was quite successful for a CO2 system to keep The Brauler carbonated even after opening (well keep it carbonated longer). A stainless steel and dishwasher safe growler with a big 2.5" opening on top making pouring and filling super easy...awesome, oh and a Koozie for it with a nice shoulder strap for ease of carrying, neat. The price was a bit of a hit but after seeing it in person $50 with a free fill seemed minimal for the possible future use of it I'd get (especially as a homebrewer).

This thing is awesome, I'm glad I got it and it is really light even filled with beer. I regret this purchase no more and can't wait to show it off to friends tomorrow night as I pour out of it :)
    gpawned likes this.
  2. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

I've been meaning to pull the trigger on getting one of these as well, albeit from some online retailer. Seems like a great idea, & no need to worry about any sort of light getting in at all. Is a bit steep, but I think or will be worth it in the long run.
    theCoder likes this.
  3. theCoder

Yea, when I was chatting with whom I assume the owner/manager/brewer??? Not sure didn't exchange names, the wife and dog were in the car still hehe. He mentioned the only way to get them is find some sort of online retailer or order a pallet as the guys whom make these puppies don't sell them individually (aside form the recent Kickstarter). They'll also be carrying the CO2 recharger kit sometime in the spring.

Not bad beers at that brewery either BTW, I sampled a quick 3-4 of them before deciding to fill it with the Tripel. It was close though, that brown ale they have is fantastic.
  4. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Interesting concept. Checked their web site, and apparently my local homebrew store (Austin Homebrew Supply) carries them on site.

I'm assuming that these can be filled anywhere, yes? The key being the wide mouth, stainless steel, and the fact that the CO2 can be recharged? Interesting concept. I'll have to take a look at them next time I go over there to buy some wax.
  5. theCoder

They haven't released the CO2 add on yet. The brewery I bought it from said they'd be getting them in spring, it just uses those little CO2 cartridges (I know you can get them at cycling stores as the tiny tire pumps use them). So yea they could be refilled in a way :)

Depending where you live they could be filled yes. MN has some weird laws on filling growlers which the guy I talked to at Canal Park Brewing Co informed me how it is possible to fill growlers from other breweries and he is working with the other breweries in the area to do so.
  6. jsjames

jsjames Aficionado (145) Illinois Dec 24, 2008

I did pay the kickstarter campaign for the CO2 version. I think they ship next month? Sounded like a nice way to transport homebrew to parties.
  7. A local brewery has these (with their branding of course) made by Fifty/Fifty for pre-order. No CO2 like the brauler but seems solid. I wasn't able to find a site for Fifty/Fifty bottles/growlers. What do you guys think? No area brewers carry the Brauler yet.
  8. sharpski

sharpski Advocate (530) Oregon Oct 11, 2010

Those may be hydroflasks http://www.hydroflask.com/ but the lid looks a little different.
  9. antsmarchn

antsmarchn Zealot (90) New Jersey Mar 28, 2007

Does anyone have both the hydroflask and brauler? I want to know how they compare side by side. The hydroflask is better insulated, but the lid options of the brauler seem better. I never took advantage of the brauler on kickstarter and am still debating which to get.
  10. From what I understand, the CO2 lid was an added accessory after they invented the Brauler. That's how I ultimately heard about the Kickstarter project anyways, they were trying to create the CO2 lid to the already successfully funded Brauler. I've been intrigued by this as well, I would LOVE for someone to report back on their experience with the new CO2 lid to see how well it performs.
  11. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

12. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (575) Australia Dec 29, 2006

I picked one up at Christmas time from a bottleshop out here. Was $35, which isn't too bad when compared to the prices in the US for it (not often i can say that). Also works out pretty well when standard 64oz screw cap glass growlers usually get sold for $15 out here.

Really like it, nice and light and obviously keeps light out. Fills like a gas bottle with the condensation line on the outside from the change in temperature.
  13. $35 for the Brauler or one of the other stainless units?
  14. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (575) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Brauler
  15. MattNelson likes this.
  16. Sweet. I haven't seen it lower either. I might have to pull the trigger too. Let me know what you think if you get it.
  17. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I only speak German and English, so I may be wrong here, but my understanding is that the two dots are used in other languages, particularly Scandinavian languages, to significantly different effect than the umlaut. It may be that, in one of these languages, such a spelling would rhyme with growler.
  18. Zythos said they were trying to be tongue-in-cheek, but if they just did a modicum of keyboard research they could have got a spelling that'd rhyme and avoided an unintended laugh, just as if http://www.dumfart.at/ wanted sell tractors here but wanted to make sure their name would work first. ;) If you ask the average American what countries they associate with beer and where different types originated (especially those that use umlauts), I doubt they're going to start rattling off Scandinavian ones.
  19. Anyone have one of these now? I'm curious. Might try to stop at Pinocchio's (listed on Zythos' page) to see if they have them for sale. How do they hold up from a freshness perspective? The CO2 injector will be very interesting if / when that comes to fruition.
  20. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (925) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I need to buy one with CO2 system. Does any place sell it yet?
  21. switzer

switzer Savant (295) Oregon Jan 18, 2012

Which did you end up getting?