1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breckenridge Brewery Will Take New Brewery, Jobs To East Coast

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Jason, May 8, 2012.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,330) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

2. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Currently you may not operate a brewpub in CO if you produce >60,000bbl/year. The bill at issue sought to increase that limit to 300,000bbl/year. It was opposed by distributors, retailers, and notably, other craft brewers, including New Belgium and Odell (source).

3. I get it. It seems like Colorado and the brewers/distributors who wanted to challenge this proposed bill want to avoid a system that encourages tied houses from emerging. Why should Breckenridge be allowed to do it but not Coors (a 300,000 bbl limit would prohibit Coors from operating in a similar fashion)?

This is a nuanced situation with no easy answers, but I'm not sure taking their brewery and playing in another state is the best option. Still, I don't blame them for wanting to expand - that's their prerogative.

4. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

There's probably room in East Colorado, er I mean Asheville.;)

5. God, Providence needs a good brewery. Bring it to MA/RI!

Horbar, Jake351 and ShogoKawada like this.
  6. Or the Nutmeg State - CT.

Jake351 and smutty33 like this.
  7. It's a good time to be a construction worker in Ashville.

8. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

We received this email from Breckenridge earlier today:

9. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

This is WestWard Expansion all in reverse and now bringing beer.

10. Just don't expect the same beer if they brew on the East Coast. Different water, eh?

11. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (435) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

Most professional brewing operations filter and purify their water before brewing, regardless of the water source. There are also lot of QA/QC steps that can fix minor inconsistencies.

12. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Good riddance to them and Flying Dog, I doubt their beer will be missed by enthusiasts. :cool:

13. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

They arent moving, they are building a new brewery in the east, not closing the current one.

14. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

That is unfortunate. :cool:

15. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

I'd miss Breckenridge a bit. Flying Dog, not so much. Kicked them out of my store when they moved.

ArrogantB likes this.
  16. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

At least its Breckenridge and not others that will be moving.One of my least favorite breweries in Colorado, though their Oatmeal Stout can hit the spot for me when the mood strikes. I'd miss that beer if it ever left the market. The rest of their stuff, not at all.

I always enjoyed hitting up their brewpub before/after a Rockies game but with Falling Rock right there they were often the second option. And it sounds like that will still be sticking around?

17. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Breckenridge has a partnership with Wynkoop & Stranahan's... it's VERY unlikely they'd move, they even stated they're expanding and maxxing out capacity for their BBQ location and just recently reinvented/remodeled their ballpark pub, which they wouldn't do if they were moving. It's just expansion plans.

While I don't drink Breckenridge that often, I did really enjoy Twenty their barrel-aged ESB and look forward to other barrel-aged beers from them.

18. Where did flying dog move to?

19. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Frederick, Maryland.

I think they still have a taproom in Denver, but it's open 4-hours during the week. Yes, you read that right. 4-6pm on Thursdays/Fridays. No brewing here though.

20. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

I have to agree, both Breckenridge and Flying Dog, of the beers I've had between them, neither have had me running back or seeking out more. Not bad, fairly average to underwhelming...which in this crowded field just doesn't make it. Yet they seem to get plenty of shelf space 'round these parts.

21. Have ties to CT and MA, as I lived in the 1st, and live in the 2nd..but lordy, please bring it to CT...
    they sorely need it....

BTW..their Vanilla Porter ain't bad...and entirely sessionable...

22. I say remove the limit all together. Sure BMC may open up brew house after brew house but, isn't that would free enterprise should be? The three tier system in itself is anti consumer, as is this law. Your consumer base for places like RAM, Rock Bottom, BJs, etc... will not flock to a place that serves water downed lagers.

Like any restaraunt bar/brew pub, beer and spirits provide anywhere from 40-70% of the revenue and even larger percentage of the profit. The demo that drinks lagers are those you find at Hooters, El Torito and Legends that check out Happy Hour and watch the games. They wouldn't make an effort to go to a place that brews their own Coors light on site with mediocre american cuisine. You look at places like Karl Strauss who are getting closer to 100K barrels and even they carry BMCs with their own products. Ram carries outside beers and a full spirit line as many BJs do.

In Ca I don't believe we have the same laws but it never ceases to amaze me how states make an effort to push jobs across county and state lines. We see it all the time in Ca and IL. Just look at the third wave of alcohol taxes in Crook County that further damages the hospitality industry.

Opening a brew pub (i.e. Beachwood BBQ) is the most efficient and lightest barrier of entry for potential brewing, bottling and distribution. For years the three tier system and the BMC stranglehold has done a good job stymying competition from craft brewers. Much of craft was built on word of mouth (look at San Diego and Chico) driven from local consumers. Laws like that in Colorado ensure that craft brewers are capped once they reach the critical mass necessary to truly compete on a state and national level.

23. Why? I don't think I have ever sought out any Breckenridge beer. I have had a handful and they all have been just "meh".

24. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

But who says they'd brew Coors Light? Or even keep the BMC name/label (like Blue Moon)?
    They (BMC) can see the elimination of this law as a chance to open brewpubs and brew non-BMC-like beer. AC Golden would have a place to rival RAM, RB, BJs etc, and perhaps even Mountain Sun, Bull/Bush and the other local brewpubs.
    Sure it's free enterprise, but some laws are needed to protect competition...not the competitors.

25. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

While Breck's not exactly on my list of favorite brewers, I think they're doing so well because they're targeting the audience who has moved past macro lagers, but might not be hunting for chocolate tamarind chai barrel aged imperial Kvass. I think that middle ground is a pretty smart business move.
    In terms of their beers, I like their Autumn and Christmas seasonals. I had a Summerbright next to a Bud and it was night and day better, but just as quenching.Their 471 big beers are flat-out good by almost any standards, although they can be pricy.
    They have their place, and they're really helped the fine folks at the 'Koop as well.
    If they were to leave (which they aren't at this point), I think they'd be missed.

26. Kinda what I was thinking...expanding doesn't make their beer any better. Lucky U is possibly the most flavorless IPA I've ever had.

kawilliams81 likes this.
  27. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Bring it to Michigan and see how good the beer scene is here. We always welcome new breweries!