1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brett in GI Sofie/Matilda

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by joshrosborne, Mar 7, 2013.

1. joshrosborne

joshrosborne Savant (290) Michigan Jun 14, 2010

Has it been verified what strain of Brett is in Goose Island Sofie and Matilda? I've read Brett Brux somewhere online before, but I don't know if GI has ever confirmed.

Relatedly, if I wanted to make a starter up with the dregs of a four-pack of one or the other to pitch in secondary with sauvignon blanc grape concentrate for a tripel I'm brewing this weekend, anyone have any tips? Would getting the Brett built up take longer than a normal starter since it's slow moving on munching fermentables?

Thanks!

2. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

I believe that at least Sofie uses Brett C.

joshrosborne likes this.
  3. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

Brett is slow when it's in a secondary and forced to eat the complex "leftovers" that the primary Sacc strain couldn't ferment. In a simple starter, they're almost as fast as any other yeast. Also, if you're pitching the Brett into the secondary, the beer tends to be more "Bretty" if you underpitch somewhat. So if you're making a starter now to pitch later into your tripel, I'd say you're fine. If you're building a starter for a 100% Brett beer, I find you can't make too big a starter. This is all based on my own experience - YMMV. Good luck!

skivtjerry and joshrosborne like this.
  4. Thorpe429

Too late for an edit. Some of the posts on HBT.com speculate Brett B for Sofie as well, but I'd disagree after having had Sofie of all ages. Posts there discuss a barnyard leathery character, but the aged bottles of Sofie I've had have always been the more lemony pineapple of Brett C, but maybe that's just my palate and/or the lingering effects of the orange peel.

joshrosborne likes this.
  5. joshrosborne

I'm pitching the tripel on a WY 3522 cake in primary. Hoping to get down to 1.012 or so before racking to secondary, adding 2lbs of wine grape concentrate (I think it will add .2'ish to the gravity) and the Sofie/Matilda starter when racking to secondary. I'm sure I'll primary for 2-3 weeks before secondary.

6. Gmr75

Gmr75 Savant (380) Connecticut Apr 30, 2002

I agree totally Thorpe. I opened a 2 year old bottle last week,and it had huge pineapple notes - Almost to the level of a JP Wiezen Bam (I don't know if it's typical, but the last bottle I had smelled like fresh pineapples...). I wont even drink Sofie fresh anymore, as it's always a letdown compared to bottles with even just a year on them.

Thorpe429 and joshrosborne like this.
  7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I've consumed my weight in sofie, and have NEVER gotten barnyard or leather from it. Ever. My vote goes for c as welll.

MarcatGSB and Thorpe429 like this.
  8. Thorpe429

Haha, I think I'm getting close to that as well. Just kicked my sixtel of Sofie last week, which was quite disappointing. The good thing is that I'm replacing it with a keg of Saison Dupont. I think I'll be okay!

9. Gmr75

Ha! that's a tough problem to have. Saison Du Pont without the chance it'll be overly lightstruck (like half the bottles around here...), on tap - I feel for you! :D

10. Thorpe429

Absolutely! I had it on tap about a month ago and remembered how incredible it is when you don't have to worry about it being light struck.

11. Gmr75

it's a gorgeous beer when it's right. I love how some of the hop brightness shines through. I'm certainly jealous. I'm quite happy with my Tank 7 inspired Saison I have on tap right now, but it's not SDP.

Thorpe429 likes this.
  12. Thorpe429 likes this.
  13. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (510) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

Just a heads up, in my experience, the Brett in Matilda doesn't work. I let it go on a 1 gallon batch of Tripel that finished high and it didn't budge the FG, didn't do a pellicle, didn't impact the flavor... at all. After several months I finally pitched dregs from a RR Consecration and went wild/our instead of just plain wild. YMMV.

joshrosborne likes this.
  14. SFACRKnight

Not to thread jack but......
    Has anyone built up dregs from crooked stave?

15. od_sf

od_sf Savant (420) California Nov 2, 2010

I haven't, but I have from Stillwater (the excellent table beer) and he uses brettanomyces from a variety of sources, including strains from Crooked Stave. Pitched the dregs into a Belgian ale in secondary a few weeks ago, and it looks like it will be delicious.

16. joshrosborne

Which Stillwater bottle did you build up?

17. Sounds like Beer Table - Table Beer. I liked it, really on the funky end of things.

Thorpe429 likes this.
  18. od_sf

od_sf Savant (420) California Nov 2, 2010

Yes, it was beer table table beer, an amazingly flavorful beer for only 4.7 ABV. Found massive amounts of yeast at the bottom of the bottle too. :)

19. SFACRKnight

I'm hoping to build up the dregs from the saison artisanal. Looks like there is a nice coating of yeasties at the bottom. Did you guys flame the lip and add wort, or pitch the slurry into a starter?

20. Yes, I am trying to replicate Persica (definetly won't come close). First brewed a beer and used built up dregs from WWBO, then used the dregs from Persica in secondary. Put a shit load of peaches in it, should be ready some time after the summer.

The dregs from the Orange worked really well, stepped them up twice then in a gallon "batch" of beer and finally into the primary for the final beer. FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Thorpe429 likes this.