Brett - Other Than "Horse Blanket"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bramsdell, Nov 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mintjellie

mintjellie Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2005 Canada (ON)

Tack room, barn, hay, manure, plastic, damp soil.

2. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2012 Tennessee

Manure? Really? You think brett smells like shit and you drink it?

3. goodbetterbestbested

goodbetterbestbested Initiate (0) May 10, 2012 California

i encourage you to get a bottle of crooked stave WWB blue and tell me that's not the smell of straight horse shit

good straight horse shit though

4. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2012 Tennessee

If I could, I would. Can't quite pony up $300 and a trip to Colorado this year.

I live in the middle of a cow field, so maybe I just can't smell manure anymore.

5. goodbetterbestbested

it's not reserve society, it's been out for a while and shouldn't be hard to trade for. really weird interesting beer consider it if the opportunity ever arises :slight_smile:

6. goodbetterbestbested

and that's blue, not blueberry (indigo)

7. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

ISO: Beer that smells like straight horse shit FT: Walez bro'

8. corey0212

corey0212 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

That's it. I've got a long weekend, I'm gonna go see if I can find some horses and ask 'em if they'll let me check out their blankets. I really want to nail this shit down.

Prospero, atxdelivery and cfh64 like this.
  9. atxdelivery

atxdelivery Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2010 Texas

10. wonderbread23

wonderbread23 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2009 New York

Sounds like you are sensitive to certain phenolic compounds which brett can throw. Often described as burnt plastic, band-aid, rubber, etc.

Depending on the beer and strain, I often find brett quite fruity.

gueuzer likes this.
  11. BobZ

BobZ Savant (1,193) Jun 24, 2009 Massachusetts

Always get a kick out of those who describe "horse blanket" as a "road apple" scent/flavor! Really? Seriously? :confused:

"OMG this beer is awesome, it gives me the sensation that I'm tossing Mr. Ed's salad", wow, good for you!:wink:

This subset of beer drinkers should not be allowed around any livestock EVER:grimacing: or pets for that matter! :slight_smile:

cfh64 and ajthegreat like this.
  12. hopsputin

hopsputin Grand Pooh-Bah (4,017) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

13. kscaldef

kscaldef Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

Not a single reviewer of the beer seems to have picked up on this: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25191/83142/

14. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Brett produces phenols.
    Some give the clove and smokey aromas.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-ethylguaiacol
    4-ethyl phenol gives the barnyard and horsey aroma.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-ethylphenol

Ethyl Lactate gives the furity aroma.

A compound called tetrahydropyridines gives a urine aroma (often termed mouse urine).

You can look those up. Some of you will not be convinced though.

If you are more interested read this book.
    http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Brews-Culture-Craftsmanship-Tradition/dp/0937381861

gueuzer likes this.
  15. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2008 California

Generally speaking, it's more about the other senses than the aroma for me. It can be that funky smell, but I get it more in the taste and mouthfeel, specifically, really intense drying and a bit of spice.

Bad brett is straight up rotting band-aids (see: Two Blind Myces from Dogfish).

16. goodbetterbestbested

strange. i'm often amazed at what people write in their reviews, i think a good half of any given beer's reviews are just sort of bullshitted (bullshat?). there was no other way to describe this smell (maybe "forest floor" and "dirt" which people do say). my girlfriend and i both thought straight up horse manure. it also had big chunks of yeast to give that nice effect of drinking watered down horse shit.

all subjective i guess but my girlfriend and i often differ on tastes and smells, but were in complete agreement on this one.

17. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2009 Connecticut

Pony quilt

fmccormi, cfh64 and ilovermont like this.
  18. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2010 California

Brux did a lot of damage on my opinion of Brett.

19. mintjellie

mintjellie Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2005 Canada (ON)

I live on the edge of the city. Literally. I can walk 20 minutes north of my house and be surrounded by farm fields on all sides. In the spring, I can smell the manure on the fields when I walk out my front door, if the breeze is blowing from the north. It's not overpowering though, because of that short distance. If I were standing in the field, it would probably be unbearable. But when far enough away, when the smell is bearable and not overpowering, that aroma is actually very pleasant.

20. Stormfield

Stormfield Pundit (921) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

This. I'm with you. Except I think of cows instead of horses. In fact, whenever I am near a dairy farm, I say to my wife: "Smells like Brett, right?" To which she says, "yeah - gross."

To me, Brett smells like...
    1) Cow pasture
    2) Dairy farm
    3) Cow manure

MagillaGriller likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.