1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"Brettanomyces, a Funky Yeast, Makes Flavorful Beers"

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,515) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Checkout this piece by the New York Times on Brett beers with comments from brewers at Crooked Stave, The Lost Abbey, Green Flash, Jolly Pumpkin, Russian River and others.
    More:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/dining/brettanomyces-a-funky-yeast-makes-flavorful-beers.html

Slideshow:
    http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2013/01/02/dining/20130102-WILD.html

Thoughts?

2beerdogs and winbassett like this.
  2. I love Brett!!!

BdubleEdubleRUN likes this.
  3. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (340) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

Nice article about one corner of what's going on in craft brewing.

TheTimes owes us many more such articles about the many such niches. Every Wednesday, the Times has a dining section devoted to food and drink. There's usually a page devoted to wine. Is there anywhere near as much innovation and evolution--i.e., news--going on in the wine world as there is in the American craft beer industry right now? Every week, there ought to be at least one, if not multiple, articles on beer.

This is, after all, the golden age of American brewing. The paper of record shouldn't miss it.

If the Times wonders even for a moment why it is not bringing in new readers, why it is not reaching a new generation, it need look no farther than the beverage coverage in its Dining section. If there's not an article there every week, then we're not there every week looking for it.

SatlyMalty, mverity, luwak and 2 others like this.
  4. Well-done piece, but did Fromson feel obligated to use every single piece of reporting he did? The Green Flash chief executive quote didn't seem necessary at all.

Good read, though, and the ending with the Grossmans really emphasizes the innovation. I'd recommend this to those just getting interested.

5. SeaAle

SeaAle Savant (390) Washington Jun 24, 2012

Not a big fan of brett beers. I prefer the lacto sour beers more. Cascade Brewing in Portland, OR make excellent lacto sours.

Rocket80 and Czar_chasm like this.
  6. Interesting article.....I still don't understand sours. People get me to try them all the time and I still think they're just horrible....

Buttermilk likes this.
  7. Thevanpelt

Thevanpelt Zealot (80) Sweden Sep 6, 2012

I love brett beers, Anchorage is one of my favorite brewery's!
    Btw if you're in to brett beers you should check out the iipa with brett that To Øl and Mikkeller did.

BrewBoone likes this.
  8. mactrail

mactrail Champion (785) Washington Mar 24, 2009

White Labs has an informative list of brett strains, but scroll down for an interesting article by Tomme Arthur on the early days of brett experimentation by California craft brewers: http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/bacteria.html

9. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Good article, aside from the mistake of linking vinegar-like acidity to lacto bugs instead of acetobacter.

luwak and Gonzoillini like this.
  10. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I'm kind of surprised at the west-coast love in that article.

Now that I think of it, if I were from certain areas of Europe and reading that article, I might be a little miffed.

11. I like sours but im not quite sold on Brett. To me, brett kind of tastes like burnt plastic.

BeerSocrates12 likes this.
  12. Love you too man. Strictly platonic/10

13. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Decent read, gave me some insight on Brett.

14. Brettonomyces means "British Fungus" and was a characteristic of much British beer which was routinely aged in wood for long periods ; it would have been in IPA and old ales, Porter and even ordinary ales and beers (even Bass was found to contain it in the 1930s) yet this factor has been completely ignored in the article.

15. BeerNDoggerel

Actually, in just its second paragraph the article cites Chad Yacobson of Crooked Stave as recognizing that Brett "was common in beer before the advent of modern sanitation in the late 19th century," referring to Brett as "an old friend."

Later, the article speaks of "brewers' enthusiasm for reviving tastes of the past."

ChadCSU likes this.
  16. BeerNDoggerel

The article looks great in today's Dining section. The Times certainly spoke to the right people and created a nice introduction to a particular style of beverage.

Lift a glass to the possibility of many more such articles from the Times!

(Noting that the cover story of today's Dining section is essentially about coffee, my fear is the section's editors see today's edition as a one-off or at best occasional alternative beverage edition--back to nearly exclusive wine coverage next week.)

ChadCSU likes this.
  17. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

I'm not usually a fan of Brett, however the 100% Brett Autumn Maple from the Bruery was VERY good.

18. Anyone know how much alcohol will be added to an ave. strength stout (say 5.6%) if it sits on Brett for a year?

19. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I'm a big fan of brett when it is complimentary. It can add subtle nuances that can be blissful. (Sofie, Bruery Easter Saison, Fantome Saisons) but not a big fan when the Brett smacks you in the face, and tastes and smells like a horse pissed in your beer and filtered it through a diaper. (Avery 15th anniversery, almost every brett-homebrew I've had)

Curt1 likes this.
  20. I was wondering what happen to the thread i started this morning! lol

brianthelion23 likes this.
  21. Thevanpelt

Thevanpelt Zealot (80) Sweden Sep 6, 2012

A couple of other good brett beers are Femne Fatale Brett by Evil Twin and Brett & No Mices from Westbrook

22. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Indeed, somebody pointed this out to the author apparently:

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:
    Correction: December 31, 2012

An earlier version of this article referred imprecisely to a flavor produced by lactic acid bacteria in barrel-aged wild beers, implying that the bacteria can yield a sour note reminiscent of balsamic vinegar. The balsamic vinegar note that can emerge is due to acetic acid, which comes from a different kind of bacteria or directly from Brettanomyces.

23. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

That was me. I emailed them about the mistake and the next day the correction appeared online. The print version is the corrected version.

gueuzehead and ChadCSU like this.
  24. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Haha! That was my guess...but i figured it was possible they actually talked to somebody interviewed in the story who had read the final product.

Nice work you've changed the future!

Etan likes this.