1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

brew cave

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by crusian, Dec 7, 2012.

1. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

2. crusian

I want one.
  3. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

So I am going to finish my basement in 2013 and I have about 250 bottles of wine and about 300 bottles of various beer and I was trying to figure out what to do for storage. First I thought of building a glass enclosure area for the wine and then converting a fridge to a beer cellar with a thermostat regulator. But I finally discovered that building a cellar room with wine refrigeration would be the best and most flexible. I am going to essentially build a large walk in "pantry" with cork walls, wine shelving area and beer area as well. You can also get really nice decorative doors with a special seal for the floor and then an in-wall wine cooling unit which will then cellar better than the beer cave. The beer cave is great for keeping beer cold but not sure if u need that much cold beer!! I want to cellar mine to then drink at my convenience. Also building will be cheaper than $6400 and give u exactly what YOU want. Just my 2 cents. Don't tell my wife but this is the most exciting reason to me for finishing my basement!!
  4. crusian

We demand pictures if each step. Please.
    Hanzo and daysinthewake like this.
  5. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Sure. Probably starting in the spring. It absolutely will!!
    daysinthewake likes this.
  6. jdaddy

jdaddy Savant (310) Pennsylvania Nov 19, 2010

$6400 is the material cost here. You must have an electrician and/or HVAC contractor to the installation. Plus put the whole thing together yourself and/or pay someone a few more grand to put it together. You can easily put this together yourself in a much higher quality, a much larger capacity (shit this thing is 35 square feet or much small than your bathroom) and potentially address other issues in your basement such as general air conditioning, etc.
  7. Just get a large chest freezer and a thermostat. It's not as sweet looking, but is a fraction of the price and can be used for food storage if you ever run out of beer.
  8. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

They are very cool.
  9. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

A window AC unit, some wood, some sheet insulation and you are well on your way to building one yourself.
    This Jamil guy isn't very smart and he figured it out.
  10. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

I don't get how that shed is outside in the heat, but he was still able to insulate it well enough to keep it cool at $3/mo. A regular fridge sucks like 3x that and is professionally insulated with a very efficient cooler.
  11. WassailWilly likes this.
  12. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Champion (925) Maine Sep 17, 2005

My beer cave is a bomb shelter that came with the house. It's always 55 degrees.
  13. I would love one of these for my growing wine and beer collection.
  14. Pics? I'm really curious to see something like that!
  15. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (290) Florida May 16, 2011

[​IMG]

Aside from walking into it, this is what I have and can change shelf heights for various size bottles. It cost me 500.00 and fits over 300 beers in it. Have this with a storage space under my bar for extra beer and some cellared beer there to keep fridge stocked. Then I have other side of bar for liquor that is collecting dust. Kegerator don't cost that much and I'm sure the one on the beer cave is not a very thoroughly made device. In addition, my cooler and bar isn't nearly as gaudy as this thing.
  16. This could be a joke or serious, it's awesome either way.
  17. crusian

why a joke, that was pretty much going to be my plan if/when I build a house. dig into the hillside to make a cave off the basement.
  18. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Savant (440) Maryland Oct 26, 2011

Who's the maker of this fridge?
  19. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (290) Florida May 16, 2011

20. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

We have a root cellar but it doesn't stay terribly cool year round(especially during 100+ summer days) and it's pretty small so I haven't put too much thought into doing anything with it. Currently it provides shelter to lots of scorpions and geckos.
  21. Let's just go with awesome then. ;)
  22. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Champion (925) Maine Sep 17, 2005

I share mine with mice.
  23. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (390) Colorado Apr 29, 2012

24. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Thanks for sharing. You've set the bar even further out of reach for me.

Does it come in blue telephone booth?
  25. abkayak

abkayak Savant (310) New York Jan 8, 2013

i think i will add this along side my bomb shelter and wait for the apocalypse
  26. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (380) New York Sep 1, 2004

wow. what will those wacky beer nuts think of next? a room that's is kept cold and holds beer, that's what! just unbelievable!

what is the fascination with a walk in cooler? every C-Mart and grocery store in America has one.
    because you can put it in your house? a lot of rich people have money and space to burn for fancy toys. I'm jaded. if it came with a caged lion then it would be bad ass.
  27. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (270) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

I like how you added 2x the Bud taps too.
  28. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

[​IMG]
    jhartley likes this.
  29. i'm just finishing my own cellar. debating about the floors. leaving it as concrete due to cork absorbing moisture
  30. It kinda sucks that my basement (which is unfinished) is warmer than the rest of my house in the winter time. :(
  31. goodbrewvic

goodbrewvic Aspirant (30) Florida Oct 26, 2013

32. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

I was invited to a company christmas party of one my customers. A very large AC/Electrical contracter her in Orlando. The owners hous is about 25k sqft. We took the tour and in for lack of a better term the basement (no basements in FL) he had this gourgeous stone and mohagany bar area. Wine racks on the wall, all sorts of rare and vintage liquors and on what looked like a stone wall 3 tap handles. I looked closer and there as a handle for a door.

BOOM giant BEER CAVE. He took an industrial bar sized walk in cooler and turned it into his beer cave. the wall that the taps were on actually had a kegerator (like in a bar) with the lines going up to the outside. The rest of the storage was abut 50 degrees or so. He had Lambics for days and a lot of hard to get beers.

He said he got the idea from seeing the pictures of the beer cave in Skymall.

I had wood from the time I saw it. This guy is a GOD! or just a beer nerd with lots of money. I asked one of hit house staff to send me pics (did not have my phone). Hopefully I will get them soon.
    goodbrewvic likes this.