1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Brew Masters: Three Beers for Batali

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd BA Founder Staff Member

Checkout the episode of Discovery's Brew Masters that never aired; hosted by Sam Calagione from Dogfish Head Brewery.

Published on Nov 14, 2012 and entitled "Three Beers for Batali," it features chef Mario Batali, Dogfish Head's $4 million dollar expansion, brewing with Italians Teo Musso (Birrificio Le Baladin), Leonardo Di Vincenzo (Birra del Borgo) and Lorenzo Dabove (Italian Beer Expert) in Italy and Eataly in New York City.
  2. Providence

Providence Member

This is great. Long have I dreamed of going to Eataly. One of the breweries that got me started in craft, meets the best food culture in the world, all overseen by one of the coolest guys in the world (Batali).

Even though I prefer more traditional styles of beer, I hope Calgione continues to push the envelope with brewing. His innovation is an amazing attribute of the American Craft beer scene.

Thanks for posting.
    Giovannilucano and Lantern like this.
  3. Any French people or avowed Francophiles on BA? And is there some place around here where I can buy popcorn?
  4. joeebbs

joeebbs Member

Awesome! Thanks!
    Lantern likes this.
  5. Providence

Providence Member

Ha ha! I welcome the fight!

French food is off the hook though.
    Giovannilucano and Pegli like this.
  6. Beer-A-Lot

Beer-A-Lot Member

7. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Member

Eataly is definitely worth a visit - I went for the first time last summer and had a good time with good food & beer.
  8. Pegli

Pegli Member

The place is mindblowing...like jamming Atwells Ave. into one building. Pricey even for NYC but worth the experience. We went there last St. Patty's Day figuring it wouldn't be THAT busy...
    Providence likes this.
  9. CityofBals

CityofBals Member

WTB Real Pizza beer. Mama Mia!
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

Nice episode. And now I know I have to visit this Eataly place one day.
  11. Lantern

Lantern Member

Just bought the dvd. Forgot about looking for it. Thanks, Todd!
  12. zipper8650

zipper8650 Member

Great find, have been to Eataly and Baladin so it was fun to watch!!
  13. Ford

Ford Member

Last time I was in NYC.. happened to be staying right by Eataly.... so, so good...
  14. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Member

I used to think Batali was a giant douche, but over the years my opinion has changed.

On the other hand, I used to think Anthony Bourdain was cool, not so much anymore...
    hardy008 and TheGoldsmith like this.
  15. ghostly

ghostly Member

It's a decent place, worth a try. Expensive, and to be honest I wound up liking the wine from the barrel better than the various house ales, but it's pretty unique.
    dar482 likes this.
  16. Lutter

Lutter Member

Horay for piracy!

;)
    luwak likes this.
  17. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Member

I really love this episode and really commend Dogfish Head for being the only brewery that I know of to work with the Italian masters. I do believe with my heart that Italian craft will be enjoyable to many as people become open minded to what Italian craft is. I say it like a broken record that as long as you can see what Italian ingredients are used in styles that most know, then your perspective widens. The palate of Italian cuisine and ingredients can be so radical, that this can be mistaken for a poorly made brew. I always take in account brews from all over the world with this view and helps me greatly!
  18. dachshunddude86

dachshunddude86 Member

I'm a little confused by what you said above. Are we supposed to enjoy a beer that doesn't taste good just because it uses some strange ingredients and flavors? Italian cuisine isn't exactly a foreign cuisine in the country and most people are familiar with the ingredients that are used. In the end it takes more then using a different ingredient to make a world class beer. You have to use that ingredient well. Rogue used bacon in a beer and who doesn't love bacon? It turned out to be one of the most hated and bashed beers on this site (besides maybe, and that is a hesitant maybe, bmc light and triple bock). There are many brewers throughout the planet who throw some strange shit in the brew kettle, but they do it in a way that most find pleasing to the palette. In the end if a beer is perceived as poorly made then it is poorly made. That's the artistic side of brewing. You can be technically proficient but if it sucks it sucks. Please don't take this as saying that all Italian brews suck. I'm a CCB fanboy. I love their beers. Sea bass was an abomination that should have been aborted. They don't get a pass if the beer sucks and to blindly say that all Italian beers are well made just because they are Italian is ridiculous. A poorly made beer is shit regardless of who made it.
  19. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Member

Oh actually I agree with you! No beer made by the Italians is going to be made well just because of that! No way! I agree that sometimes the Italian brewers lose sight of the basics, so for now there is a few stand outs.

Also if I may be respectfully bold for one moment about the Italian cuisine and ingredients. To a point there is much people have learned about Italian cooking but at the same time there is still some secrets even in this day and age. Specifically regional specialties that even I had to bunker down and study. My grandfather being born in the south( a small town called Corleto Perticara) this was an advantage in learning. If you need any references I can gladly share them.

Ok so getting back to the beer and ingredients uses. I really could not agree with you more about how no matter what ingredients are used, they need to be used skillfully. It is a part of cultural thought that Italians would take pride and try to bring the best out of ingredients. For some odd reason, this has not been reflected into the beer yet. And this is why, and this is something cool to note, that the best Italian brewers have a great communication and friendship with the Belgian masters. I believe, since you said fanboy, that the fanboys of Belgians should not toss this reflection aside. And at the same time I may be into Italian craft that very well may fade away. So really one day at a time, I say...

And again about the Italian ingredients used in beer. I do not know if many people have tried chinotto or gentian root, as well as the myriad herbs and spices that as far as my studies have gone, even most Italian Americans have not yet discovered. So that is why in the previous post that these two tastes may not sit well with those not in the know. But to each palate a new taste is a great discovery and something I enjoy in the smiles it brings to the folks! :D

In closing, I also do not want to sound like my information is the all knowing. It is far from this, but I hope what shines through is my love of learning and teaching in a respectful manner. I can only pass down what I do know, as it makes just as lil piece of the pie!
    callmeishmALE and luwak like this.