1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brewdog vs. Goose Island

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by haknort, Apr 10, 2013.

1. HopFace

HopFace Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 29, 2012

I am a huge fan of Paradox Jura. I did a side by side with regular BCBS and everyone who was at the tasting took Paradox Jura over BCBS.

As for other brewdog beers - hit or miss. I thought Anarchist Alchemist was awful (OP - I still have a bottle if you want to trade for it) but thought their Bitch Please Islay was an amazing beer. Their core range is rather boring, as is GI's.

I wouldn't say there is a winner. I think they are both decent breweries that have some great beers and some not so great ones as well. I think brewdog does push the marketing a bit though. Sometimes comical, sometimes annoying.
  2. Tokio* & Tokyo* are the same beer – it is called Tokio* in the States because during the paperwork at the import side they told them that the name Tokyo* might be misleading so they changed it for the USA version. Tokyo without the * is however a different and now retired beer.

Haven't had enough GI to judge. Brewdog makes some fun stuff and some good ones but they charge too much with the production cost often being way lower than the asking price. Some of their stuff does suck...
  3. I haven't had BrewDog. Always see it in the stores, but they seem so insanely priced for me. Fan of Goose Island though.
  4. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Every Brewdog beer I have purchased has been a drain pour. Last one was Bitch Please, total bandaid plastic mess. Gross.
    Scalzo likes this.

5. Hi, you must be new.
  6. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

So they basically told you they were committing tax fraud?
    Because alcohol is taxed higher at higher ABVs.
  7. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

BrewDog sucks, drink Goose Island (bring on the flames).
  8. So brave
    champ103 likes this.
  9. gjoker321

gjoker321 Savant (455) Florida Dec 26, 2007

I had the luxury of going to the brewdog pub in Edinburgh last year and I will say it was one of the best flights of tasters that I can (barely) remember! I was extremely impressed and my wife, who enjoys beer but doesn't really like anything imperial, loved it too. They have more than just 2X Imp bombs and some of their scotch barrel aged projects are awesome AND balanced!
    Check out the ABVs in the top left!
    [​IMG]
    Though I would agree that their beers are expensive, everything over there was 25-50% more expensive than in the states!