1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

BrewDogs the TV show

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by spookyspeeg, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Sometimes, these new shows will premier with a small batch of episodes. This is a safe bet for some studios to see if the show has legs or not. I'm guessing that we may have seen what amounted to a first run trial season. Based on ratings, we should see more episodes but that could be next season maybe. If you can remember, the now famed "Walking Dead" series did the same thing. Now, its freaking everywhere and a super huge hit, although I still think the show is slow and somewhat campy.

ChesterHop likes this.
  2. Kind of, but having read the comics I feel that it is a completely different entity. I enjoy both, but this is BA not a Walking Dead forum, I shall shut up now.

3. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Champion (775) Ohio Feb 22, 2013

I wanted to like the show but it was too gimmicky I was hoping for more straightforward about good beer in different locales but I know they were shooting for a broader audience.

4. mikefuski17

mikefuski17 Savant (400) Arizona Jul 25, 2013

I thought the concept of the show was cool but the hosts were pretty annoying. Didn't enjoy it too much because of how scripted it was. It should have higighted great beer locations. Not make stupid beer vapor

target88 likes this.
  5. I'm hoping for re-runs, and I think it is happening. The Boston show is in the schedule for one night this week. I missed the San Diego and San Francisco episodes, so I'm watching the schedule to see if they make a comeback. I really enjoyed the 5 shows that I did see.

Here is a link to the previous thread about this show: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/brewdogs-the-tv-show.100290/

6. They may be ondemand, I am not sure, I just DVRed the series.

7. I enjoyed the show as well, but I can't help but feel that they will run out of viable cities to visit sooner than later.

TargaFlorio and rhartogsq like this.
  8. I enjoyed the show alot, but the problem with it was that it was so predictable. Every episode was a carbon copy of itself. And their top 5 brewery lists were usually a joke.

nyyfanatic213 likes this.
  9. It did make me laugh though when they visited San Diego, spent the entire episode with Greg Koch and then didn't put Stone on their list of top San Diego breweries.

Flathead_Monster likes this.
  10. amp138

amp138 Savant (295) Rhode Island Dec 21, 2011

To me, I thought it was implied that it was "all these guys + Stone", because I don't believe they listed Sam Adams when they did Boston.

I liked the show. It was real cool to see a craft beer show on TV. Maybe they'll come back and do a Vermont episode.

russpowell likes this.
  11. I hope they don't. I'd say the VT brew scene has had plenty of exposure (see: 3+ hour waits to get Heady Topper and people basically sleeping in their cars for HF bottle releases).

12. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,190) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

I would love to see more shows. I do think they will run out of gimmicky ways to make beer before they run out of cities/areas.

Their "humor" is just part of their schtick (sp) to me

13. For the Philly show, they put Barcade ahead of Monk's Cafe and named it the best craft beer bar in the city. I can only assume that the Barcade franchise paid for this, because arcade games are not better than a 200 bottle-deep list of Belgian beers and great mussels. And this is coming from someone who likes classic arcade games a great deal. So, that and the typical scripted-reality format turned me off for good.

14. It always said, "in addition to . . (the brewery they were working with) . . . these are the top 5 local breweries."

rhartogsq likes this.
  15. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Savant (355) Virginia Jun 18, 2010

what they did was, and this is with every brewery they brewed with, was say, "aside from Stone (Victory, Deschutes) these are the top five breweries in San Diego (Philadelphia, Portland)" So they listed ones they did not visit on purpose.

The viability of the show depends on which breweries in the cities they showcase. They have to appeal to a broader audience, so doing the smaller breweries in Vermont isn't viable. Compare it to the breweries they focused on, and they are more recognizable and distributed craft beer brands.

Also, Esquire is a brand new network, so they are just finding their audience. Ordering only 7 episodes to start was done on purpose.

16. I agree with this. Perhaps they could retool the show and make a second season about visiting breweries in Europe.

russpowell likes this.
  17. I missed the first two episodes so I can't speak for how those lists were presented, but in the 5 shows that I saw they always said something to the effect "Other than <host> Brewery here is a list of our top 5 breweries in <host city>." I found myself focusing on reading the list and almost missed how they were verbally introducing what was in writing. They should have put the host brewery at the top, but whoever is #5 on the list probably is happy that they didn't.

18. I didn't notice that. Thanks for the clarification.

19. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Savant (400) Iowa Jun 18, 2013

I actually quite enjoy this show. James and Martin seem like fun guys and I hope to see more episodes from them in the future.

20. pnkermiz

pnkermiz Savant (270) New York Apr 22, 2004

Wow. Come on, really? As the co-founder and co-owner of Barcade, the company (we are not a franchise), I'd like to say that we DID NOT pay for our ranking on this show. We have never paid for a review or a ranking in any form of media, nor would we ever do so. The same way we have never allowed large breweries to buy our tap lines.

Paul Kermizian
    www.barcade.com
    www.sixhundred.com

21. Thanks for the clarification. In a jaded world of speculation and assumptions, sometimes it's best that we only speak of what we know is true!

22. Not for nothing, but that show would get real boring, real quick!!! And then real cancelled!!!

23. While I definitely think Monk's Cafe is an amazing establishment, and it's amazing how much responsibility they can claim over the variety of beer available in Philadelphia, it isn't the first beer bar I choose to hang out at in Philadelphia. They're nice, but they're a bit full of themselves. They've been around forever, and they're always busy, so sometimes the customer service lacks a bit (as in, they don't really care if you come back because someone else will). Brewdogs was consistent with this reasoning when they did not put Toronado in San Francisco on top of their list for, probably, the same reason.

24. They're taking the piss out of beer a bit with how outlandish some of their projects to brew and what they brewing. It's something honestly much needed. They can certainly ride it for a few more seasons and have the personalities and don't give a shit attitude needed to pull it off.

russpowell likes this.
  25. Absolut

Absolut Savant (495) California Sep 19, 2011

fell asleep watching the kelp episode. had a dream I was at a beer bar and duck duck gooze got tapped, so I ordered one. the waiter literally brought out a 10 gallon fish tank, with live fish and floating kelp. when I complained he said "its unfiltered- haven't you ever had it before?"

russpowell likes this.
  26. You'd better quit eating that spicy kielbasa with your beer before going to bed. ;)

27. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Savant (360) California Mar 19, 2012

I get it. I have to be honest. I have watched most of the shows. Not bad and actually close to the show that I was looking for. It has a decent balance of learning about the brewing process, discussion of ingredients, learning about the craft beer scene, etc. They have made it interesting enough, but there are getting to be predictable.

28. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Savant (345) Iowa Aug 23, 2013

I've learned to like this show. When you see shows about wine, for instance, the people take it so seriously. Beer is about fun! Look at the labels and the names on beer. I like the experimentation and the risk of making different beers that may or may not taste good. They DO need to keep their clothes on, though!

MikeG304 likes this.
  29. Perhaps I was being a bit too cheeky. I actually like Barcade a great deal, cool vibe and a good draft list. A little IPA heavy when i was there, but so are most bars' lists. Still disagree that it's the best bar in the city, for the simple reason that Monks has access to more Belgian beer than anywhere else in town, and they never gouge, not even for rare Cantillons.

30. For anyone who hasn't seen this TV series yet on the Esquire Network (or has missed an episode or two like me), I noticed that all of this series is going to be re-run Thursday afternoon in a marathon. Set up your DVRs or sneak out of work to watch.

31. I watched all the episodes, give it a 7/10. I have all six Beer Hunter eps, plus the 2013 documentary, am looking forward to watching that.

32. If this show is to return, they need to mix up their format a little bit. It got old knowing exactly what was going to take place in each city. Even though their beer concoctions were pretty out there, they used the same basic formula for each place. It got to the point that I didn't care what they were brewing, I would rather have seen more about the breweries they were visiting.

elchicodelgado and pourmeadrink like this.
  33. Askchucky

Askchucky Savant (250) Illinois May 2, 2011

Anyone know or have the list of Philly establishments from the episode? I'm headed to Philly Friday and wanted to check some places out, besides Monk's. It seems the esquire website doesn't show it the list.

34. rudyarmand

rudyarmand Aficionado (235) Georgia May 31, 2005

I watched the San Diego episode and enjoyed it. The San Francisco less so. The Boston one wasn't very interesting. I just don't like the Scottish fellows personalities.

35. coldy

coldy Aficionado (220) Pennsylvania Sep 16, 2010

I REALLLY wanted to like this series. I was excited when it was coming, but found it difficult to watch. Just not what I was looking for in a beer show. Maybe someone can take this idea and make a show that is actually good.

36. Didn't see that episode but I really like the Khyber Pass on 2nd. Not to far from Monks. And Eulogy is within sight of the Khyber too, another really quality pub. Across the street from that is another brewpub though the name escapes me....the beer was pretty good, not mind blowing, and the food was good but a bit pricey.

37. 1. Barcade
    2. Monk's Cafe
    3. Eulogy Belgian Tavern
    4. Kraftwork
    5. The Farmer's Cabinet

Each of these places carries a rating above 4 on the BA Places listing.

38. NewGlarusFan

NewGlarusFan Savant (390) Illinois Jun 26, 2013

Seriously, it's very annoying and was funny the first 500 times they've done it.

The show is cheesy at times but for the most part entertaining. It doesn't make sense that Chicago wasn't included in the season.

ERRL710 likes this.
  39. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (355) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

I watched the first two episodes and will be shocked if it gets another season. I understand it was a different channel/situation, but Brewmasters was way better. Sam is a funny and charismatic guy, as opposed to those fuckin knuckleheads who I could hardly understand. Seemed super gimmicky as well. Hey, we're going to brew beer on a train. Who cares? I don't care if you brew in a helicopter, I want to watch a show that will give me further insight into brewing procedures and maybe some of the business side of it as well. Maybe some later episodes actually get into some more technical aspects so I could at least learn something new, but it didn't look that way from what I saw. Only have had one beer from them, Hardcore IPA, and it blew serious ass. Maybe it was an old bottle.