1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Brewed once?

Discussion in 'Site' started by Jazzwalker, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Hello all, I was wondering about the status of beers brewed on the BA listings. For example, there are some beer styles and types that indicate “Brewed Once” Should I take it that the brewery only brewed that beer once and will never brew it again? Or have any of you seen a “Brewed Once” get a second life? Just wondering is all..........thanks for any input you could provide. I point out that some say “Retired” while others say Brewed once without being listed as retired.
  2. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (980) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

It means exactly what is says - the beer has been brewed once and only once (even if it's intended to be a new seasonal or rotating offering). If it's not retired it means it was brewed in the last year.

Obviously some listings are inaccurate or out-of-date, so if you see something you know is wrong, report an update.
  3. kingmaker

kingmaker Savant (300) Louisiana Nov 20, 2012

NOLA and Stone brewed "Pour Me Something Mistah" for Mardi Gras in New Orleans last year. I didn't get a chance to try it then but about 4 months later, after a 10k, I found that they brewed it again and I had gotten one of the first beers out of the new kegs. After that run, it was probably the best tasting beer I've ever had :)

I just checked and BA has it listed at "brewed once"
  4. Yeah, I think that I've noticed beers listed as 'brewed once' that I know have been brewed again and have gone into the brewery's regular or seasonal line-up. I'll report an update when I remember which beer(s) is/are involved.
  5. Zach136

Zach136 Advocate (555) Georgia Jun 17, 2012

Yeah it just depends on a brewery. Some beers are intended to only be brewed once and then get picked up again. I.E. Terrapin's Dos Cocoas Porter is getting brewed again after a poll the brewery put on.
  6. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

I've actually been wondering about this as well. Green Flash recently had a 10th anniversary event where they had all 10 anniversary beers on tap. I've been wondering if they actually saved kegs from every anniversary beer, or if they re-brewed each anniversary beer as a fresh batch.

The only reason I started wondering about this is, when other breweries do this, they'll say something like "2002 1st Anniversary Beer" or "2003 2nd Anniversary Barleywine". The menus I saw just said "2nd Anniversary Barleywine", etc., and that led me to believe that maybe they re-brewed the same recipes.

Anyway, just sayin' I've been wondering about the same things.
  7. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (980) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

This would be something for which you should report an update. Once minor changes get in the queue, they usually get fixed within a day or two. I took care of this specific listing but other similar requests are welcomed.