1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries Along the I-75 Corridor

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Nedster10, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Nedster10

Nedster10 Aficionado (185) Michigan Feb 25, 2014

Hi there,
    I'll be heading from Atlanta back to Michigan later this weekend and was looking for some good brewery suggestions. We will be driving up I-75 most the trip so looking for breweries that are within a 10-15min drive of the interstate at any point on the trip.

Suggestions? Thanks!
  2. Buschyfor3

Buschyfor3 Savant (380) Kentucky Jan 4, 2009

When passing through Lexington, KY - hit up Country Boy Brewing, right in downtown Lexington, about two blocks from the home of the Wildcats, Rupp Arena. Same goes for West Sixth Brewing (on the north side of downtown Lexington). Either would be no more than a 15 minute stop off of the interstate and a straight shot from the exit - just take Exit 113 (North Broadway) and turn right at the end of the ramp onto North Broadway. West Sixth is located on 6th Street (turn right from Broadway onto 6th Street - go about 3 blocks); Country Boy is on Chair Avenue (two stop lights south of Rupp Arena) and you'll turn right off of Broadway onto Chair.

Another option would be to hit up the Beer Trappe - not a brewery, but this bottle shop is a craft beer lovers wet-dream - easily the best selection of hard-to-find bottles in Lexington if not in the entire state of Kentucky.
    Retroman40 and joe1510 like this.
  3. pgrenvicz

pgrenvicz Savant (325) Georgia Nov 15, 2013

Burnt Hickory in Kennesaw, Ga. Check their schedule, if you can hit an open house then you will get the goods.
    thatoneguymike and Halluxone like this.
  4. joe1510

joe1510 Advocate (640) Illinois Aug 21, 2006

Country Boy is a must. Good times will be had. If you're into bourbon at all a sizeable chunk of the trail is around Lexington. South of that I can't really think of much but I do know Benton's Country Hams is within a short drive off 75 and certainly worth a stop. There are brewpubs in most of the bigger towns you will be going through, most mediocre, some damn good. Just check out the reviews to see if it's worth a stop.

With all that said, Country Boys is insanely fun.
    Buschyfor3 likes this.
  5. Sechrist

Sechrist Aspirant (35) Oregon Aug 16, 2013

Rhinegeist brewery in Cincinnati isn't far from 75 but you will have to deal with downtown traffic. There's also MadTree brewing but it's a little further away from 75. I would second the Beer Trappe, it's a solid bottle shop. Also worth checking out Jungle Jim's, The Party Source and Dutch's bottle shop when you are close to Cincinnati.
    Buschyfor3 likes this.
  6. A beer traveler's best friend: http://www.brewerymap.com/

You just have to decide which ones are worthy visits by using the BA ratings.
    GeorgiaBeerGuy likes this.
  7. Torch_Lake

Torch_Lake Aficionado (155) Ohio Aug 4, 2013

Listermann in Cincinnati is also quite good. It's out of the city some, so traffic is easy. It's actually along I-71, but close to the Norwood Lateral, which will shoot you back onto I-75.

I'd never thought of it in these terms before, but in Ohio, the I-71 corridor kicks the teeth out of the I-75 corridor brewery-wise.
  8. Defnitely Listermann or MadTree in Cincinnati. You can skip Rhinegeist since there beer isn't anything great.
  9. benloho

benloho Advocate (575) Tennessee Jan 4, 2011

If you want to stop in Chattanooga for a quick pit stop you should check out the Chattanooga Brewing Co. Brand new facility, solid beer, cool location downtown.