1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries/Brewpubs kind to military

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Chaney, Feb 9, 2013.

1. What breweries/brewpubs are the kindest to us military personnel?

I went through the threads, and to the best of my knowledge, no thread similar to this has been posted before, or at least, there haven't been any here recently.

Here is what brought this on: A couple of months ago, my wife and I did a "trek through the Midwest" as a vacation. This venture included St. Louis, and of course we included Schlafly's in our venture. St. Louis in kinda cool in the fact that you can check into a nearby hotel and then walk the whole town in a breeze. We did just that. After hitting the City Museum, we went over to the Schlafly brewpub. Being the kind beer geek that I am, I struck up a conversation with the bartender that lasted a good hour +. After that time, it was time to check out and be our merry way. My wife and I had 2 sampler platters, 3-4 beers (including an amazing, draft only, high octane, Galaxy hopped, DIPA.) and 2 appetizers. Once the bartender presented the bill, it read: $13.

Me: You kidding me? The quality you peeps presented was second to none!
    Bartender: Mr. Schlafly is great friends with Col. X at XX military base and feels strongly that you peeps deserve a discount.

Any other military (or government employee) peep have this type of experience?
    kojevergas and JG-90 like this.
  2. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

1. Thanks for your service.
    b) breweries shouldnt be kind to anyone who repeatedly says 'peeps'.
  3. crosamich

crosamich Savant (260) Florida Nov 28, 2007

too bad I didn't know about Schlafly back in '03 when I was at good 'ol Ft Leonard Wood (aka lost in the woods)
  4. lol. My wife is a middle school teacher and her kids use "peeps" all the time, so I thought it was in style. No?
    Extravadanza likes this.
  5. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Yea, it's fire, dog.

Kudos to Schlafly for taking care of the military.
    Chaney likes this.
  6. Disappointed. I truly thought there were more military BAs on here.
  7. JG-90

JG-90 Savant (380) New Jersey Nov 29, 2012

Good for you (thanks!), and good for that establishment.
  8. Give the thread some time- it could just be the time of day.

For what it's worth, I have found that the guys I have encountered who have been stationed overseas have been extremely supportive of craft beer once they have been turned on to it. I am sure that you will get some more contributions to this thread soon enough.

I'll also echo kudos to Schlafly- I've always liked that place and this is another reason to do so. And a personal thanks to you, Chaney, for your service.
    Chaney likes this.
  9. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (360) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

Breweries should be kind to everyone.
  10. JG-90

JG-90 Savant (380) New Jersey Nov 29, 2012

And more kind to those who have protected our country.
  11. Kikodamian

Kikodamian Zealot (90) Florida Feb 9, 2013

Tremendous respect to those who risk their lives for this great country. Great beer should be a reward!
    mdvatab likes this.
  12. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Savant (440) Virginia Dec 11, 2012

I just retired from the Navy last year and I have to say I have had several experiences like you named, but sadly most of them were overseas. Almost every bar in Scotland, England, and Norway let us drink either free or very cheap and they let us take any glass that we asked for. Harder to find that here in the US, but I wasn't heavily into craft beer at the times I was home and could've gone to to quite a few great craft breweries on gov't trips. If only I had known.
    NickyDee21 and Chaney like this.
  13. MagPie

MagPie Zealot (75) Illinois Oct 12, 2012

The bar I manage in Chicago gives half off to all military, police and firemen! Supporting local craft beers and those brave enough to protect our country.
  14. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Wasn't super involved in the beer scene when I was active - so I can't speak to that. Now - later, all the breweries/brew pubs I frequent are cool to me because I'm a person. I don't make it a point to ask about a veteran's discount so I can't speak to that either.

I do know of several places that are tended by old shipmates of mine - I'd expect to get one hell of a deal there but they're cross country from me.
  15. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Worked with several military personnel in my career, while they can get discounts and benefits for certain things in general, the common thing that happens often to them while in bars is that once people find out they are in the service people want to buy them a drink (and sometimes two!).

Often just a good way of saying thanks for your service. As for just certain places that offer defacto discounts that I don't know sorry.
  16. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

This, If I'm at the bar, nobody in uniform pays. OP, thank you for your service!
    VonZipper and Chaney like this.
  17. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

When I served I would have been thrilled for options, let alone kindness. There were practically no small breweries during my stint in the military.
    Chaney and SaisonFest like this.
  18. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Amen to that!
  19. When I was stationed in DC, a friend of mine and myself had struck up conversation with our bartender at Churchkeys. After finding out we were navy, he proceeded to tell us how he was thinking about giving the Air Force a shot and the talk just continued on about beer and military. When we left, our tab was $50 (easily a $150 tab after the amount we drank and food). We thanked him and gave him an $80 tip for his kindness. After that we received word our ride was gonna be about an hour late. I pulled my card out to open another tab, to which he replied, "no no, put that away. Anything you guys drink from now til you walk out that door is on me." He was an awesome guy, and easily the best bartender I ever have had
    Chaney and VonZipper like this.
  20. Who did you serve with Mr. Alstrom? I had no idea.
  21. My son just joined the Navy, now stationed in Pensacola for training. I gave him the website address but have no idea whether he registered and if he did, what name he's using. I'll keep you posted, hopefully.
    Chaney likes this.
  22. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

USAF; Security Forces / GLCM Ranger.
    pwoody11, Chaney and NickyDee21 like this.
  23. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

I was in Pensacola for training until November. Is he in aviation? I wasn't too thrilled with the craft beer scene there, but Pensacola Bay Brewery was fun to see and the bar on NATTC had Sweetwater IPA in bottles.

Nice to see some fellow military BA's.
    Chaney likes this.
  24. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Glad to see so many sailors on here.

USN 2002-2006

CTI
    Chaney and NickyDee21 like this.
  25. Hey I thought this was about military and you guys keep mentioning Navy and Air Force!
    Chaney and mfavoino like this.
  26. I always buy the first round for Military, Police, Fire and Railroad.
  27. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Saint Arnold uses profits from their home front IPA along with a couple other breweries.
    Shiner sent me a tshirt on my last deployment when I emailed them about one of their beers.
  28. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

With how much they are on call and not able to drink anything, I'd buy a whole night for a Railroad Guy who actually may have a chance to grab a couple.
    theconductor likes this.
  29. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (355) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

So military, fire, police, medics, doctors, scientists, engineers, regulatory agents....the list goes on and on
  30. 8404 HM. Throw me a bone! Haha
  31. I like you. I like you a lot. When is the last time you saw a doc, scientist, engineer, regulatory agents and as you said the list goes on and on really risk anything, let alone their life?
    teal likes this.
  32. pretty sure any of the breweries popping up in the norfolk/VA beach area would be kind to hook you up
  33. Prh27

I live in Va Beach (my entire life) and the military appreciation is hit or miss around here, thanks to stupid actions from a few junior sailors now and then. There is such a huge military presence in Hampton Roads. I believe it was something like 34% of the metro population are connected.

My girlfriend's brother is even opening his brewery based on a military theme. Him and his best friend/business partner are Army and OIF veterans.

https://www.facebook.com/youngveteransbrewingcompany?fref=ts
  34. Siebel doesn't accept the GI Bill. I've talked with them at length about it. They have no desire to be accredited or affiliated with any institution that would allow them to accept the GI Bill. Unless things have changed in the last 6 months.
  35. mountsnow1010

Regulatory agents: EPA, CDC working in the field to control outbreaks, federal agents working to counter the flow of weapons and drugs across borders
    Engineers/scientists: geologists/volcanologists working in the field, biologists studying highly contagious diseases, physicists/chemists participating in the Manhattan project
    Doctors: moonlighting in clinics in dangerous areas

Of course, there are also things like DWB and EWB, but they are obviously working overseas. How can you say these people aren't dedicating and risking their lives or even simply their well-being to protect Americans from harm?

edit: Let me point out that I have family and friends in the military and have absolutely nothing against it, but to act like it is the only dangerous and nobel profession seems shortsighted.
  36. Hell now that you put it that way, Garbage Men work some shitty neighborhoods and deal with some pretty nasty stuff too. Let's go ahead and make sure all our Garbage Men (and women) are properly honored next Veterans Day! Get real hippie.
    Chaney and jdrum like this.
  37. Prh27

I know he attended a couple years ago, but perhaps I am mistaken about the GI Bill part. That's my fault for stating something I wasn't 100% sure about. Edited to prevent spreading any misinformation.
  38. mountsnow1010

I was actually going to include sanitation workers in my original post but forgot to. :) There are many very noble and dangerous occupations out there, and unlike you I am actually willing to acknowledge that they are all worthy of recognition.
    maltmaster420 and Jspriest like this.
  39. Worthy of recognition, yes. There are a lot of jobs, teachers especially who deserve better than they are getting. But do they deserve to be thought of equally as our Soldiers (Sailors, Airmen, Marines too)? Absolutely not. Not even close.
    Chaney, teal and djsmith1174 like this.
  40. PortLargo

PortLargo Savant (375) Florida Oct 19, 2012

My local bar/grill always comps a full lunch with drinks to Wounded Warriors who come to the Keys twice annually for scuba-therapy. Then they catered one event for them at my house at what was probably 1/3 their cost.

Interesting Side Note: Last trip, a Marine told that his unit officially asked (and received) permission from Stone Brewery to use the Arrogant Bastard name/logo while deployed to Afghanistan. So they weren't just any old arrogant bastards, they were "officially sanctioned" Arrogant Bastards.