1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries/Brewpubs kind to military

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Chaney, Feb 9, 2013.

1. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

I don't know about breweries' kind treatment of military/vets, but I do know that many BAs have shown their appreciation to returning vets-I can think of a couple times (though I don't remember the handles of BAs involved) that BAs banded together to send an appreciation package to those who serve(d).
    Chaney likes this.
  2. I think what they are wanting to do is awesome. About the GI Bill, they have made some changes that make it easier to get lots of different kinds of training. For example I can use it to be a hair stylist or welder or dog groomer but not a brewer. Unless you want to attend UC Davis, which would be kick ass, but I don't see me being accepted to a UC school anytime soon.
  3. I can also attest that the BA community can do some pretty awesome things for us when we return. Black13 and Haddon in my case.
    Chaney likes this.
  4. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (355) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

I guess we'll have to disagree, then.
    maltmaster420 likes this.
  5. Yes, he's in aviation. He got there the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The wife and I went down to see him over Christmas and you are correct about the craft beer scene. I did get to visit both Hopjacks locations and World of Beer and got to go to McGuires for a dinner so it wasn't a total waste.
  6. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (450) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Please don't do this. Trivializing the danger that service members endure by likening them to volcanologists, scientists in the Manhattan Project, and doctors moonlighting in dangerous areas? There is a distinct difference in signing on for a career where you "may" get in a predicament that is dangerous at some point, and one in which daily danger is a real likelihood. I have much respect for all the careers that you mentioned. And they too are serving a contributing a vital component in making our lives better.

But there is a distinct difference between the military, firefighter, policemen and other federal justice services than that of a professional volunteering their services in a possibly dangerous area. When do these people get directives to engage a hostile enemy or run into a burning building? That's right, they never do. This really does not apply logically. Because using this type of argument, we're nearly all working dangerous jobs because harm could come to us in our daily commutes to work.

We should respect everyone's careers for the value they may add to our society. But those that knowingly put their life on the line on a daily basis is a much different sacrifice. And for the record, I am not one of those people. But I have much respect for those who do and I will always show my gratitude to them.
    Chaney, DBijnagte and sergeantstogie like this.
  7. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

How did this thread about the kindness of beer businesses towards active military/veterans turn into an argument about whether other people/avocations in our society are equally worthy of respect and generous treatment?

Needless to say, we should respect everyone's positive contribution to society, but not all of us head to work in the morning with the possibility we'll return home that evening maimed or in a casket.

Beer.
  8. VDODSON

VDODSON Savant (305) North Dakota Feb 5, 2013

Ive been in the Air Force for 12 years, and have probably received a couple hundred dollars worth of free drinks. Mind you, this was in Germany, Korea, England, and even at my current POS location Grand Forks ND.

TSgt Dodson
    Chaney likes this.
  9. I hate to break this to everybody but this has one answer. BUDWEISER!!! Hate them ,love them ,love there beer , or hate there beer just give them credit where it is deserved. The folds of honor promotion they did last year raised about 3 million dollars for the families of fallen sevice men/women. From what I just read it helps with there children's schooling.
  10. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (450) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Agreed. I apologize for participating in the derail of the OP intended topic. I just don't understand the animosity thrown in the direction of those who put their lives on the line. Whether you support the causes or not, please respect those who carry out the directives.

My service period was before the days of craft bars. But the establishments surrounding Ft. Bragg are very supportive of the military. And I found many others to be in my travels as well.
    Chaney and VonZipper like this.
  11. I know the Flying Saucer in Memphis, Tn has free cover charge for the Military. When I came back from my first deployment from Iraq in 2004. I went to Nashville with 4 friends. We went into Tootsie's and met a local man everyone calls the "Colonel". He took the mic from the band and told everyone we just got back from Iraq. The bartenders brought us a round along with almost everyone in the bar. After we had a few the Colonel took us down the strip to every bar and repeated this at all of them.
    djsmith1174 likes this.
  12. As a firefighter, when an establishment mentions they give police/military/fire discounts i don't tell them what i do. I do not risk my life for two bucks off a cheap IPA at a local bar, or to make people think better of me.

Fuck that.

PS. support your local economy.
    maltmaster420 and Zimm like this.
  13. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (325) Florida Jan 26, 2012

true story. i'm old. landed at edwards afb in 73 on the way back from viet nam. sunday p.m. about 6:30. after clearing customs about 40-50 marines descended on a small px convinence store across from the terminal. beer and smokes were the order of the day. we still had mud on us. anyway i'd been reading in playboy about the best beer in the world, anchor steam, for the past 13 months. while staring at the coolers, there it is, anchor steam, grabbed 2 6er's. so we all go back out to the parking lot and start opening beers. doesn't take long for the air force mps to show up. they set up a perimeter around us and let us go for it. like they were gonna fuck with a bunch of jarheads 24 hours out of the boonies. we sure didn't get any discounts. but i had my first craft beer in 73 before anyone heard of craft beer. had to wait until early 90;s for sierra nevada to make it to maine to have another. thanks for listening
    cheers
  14. pwoody11

pwoody11 Savant (445) Delaware Nov 23, 2009

Unfortunately no stories of breweries going out of their way for the military, but have one of them not going out of the way, not that they have to though. My story has a good ending though. Those involved will remain nameless. So there was a release that went down while I was deployed to Kuwait. While I was there, I found out that a two brewery collaboration was being released. The beer was not crazy rare or anything, but had generated some buzz and I knew it wouldn't be around by the time I got home around 6 months later. So I asked my father if he could check out the local stores to try and get a bottle for me. He told me that he went to about half a dozen stores and they either sold out, had a "list", or weren't getting any. My Dad, not wanting to disappoint me, contacted one of the breweries, explaining the situation, and asked for help. He got a reply from them that they weren't responsible for distribution and to contact the other brewery involved. A few emails and phone calls went out un-returned, so he turned to FaceBook and asked the brewery there. Although he still had not received a response, a number of relatives and family friends saw the post and scoured out across PA, DE, MD, and NJ in search of this beer for me upon my return. So although he never got the help from the breweries he had hoped, when I got home there was a box on the table containing 12 bottles!
    Chaney, SatlyMalty and djsmith1174 like this.
  15. BJRHOMEBREW

BJRHOMEBREW Aficionado (235) Ohio Dec 18, 2008

I was mainly drinking macros during my time in the Air Force so I don't know of any specific brewery discounts. Im sure it been mentioned before but Fremont Brewing Company, Center of the Universe, Sly Fox, Saint Arnold, 21st Ammendment, Perennial, and Cigar City of all been part of the Hops for Heroes project which donates money to operation homefront.
  16. Yards is friendly to police/fire personnel