1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries Closing

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Can_has_beer, Sep 13, 2013.

1. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Those are per year numbers: 59, 71, 100, 187, 310. So a range of 59-310.

2. honestly it's a no brainer, if a brewery is making fantastic stuff out the gate they will have no where to go but up. obviously some other breweries that start just make mediocre beer and it might be a little harder for them to gain a strong following. i think it's all about making a good first impression on the consumers, it creates a buzz...word of mouth gets around, more people wanna check it out etc etc. but if someone gives negative feedback or if there 1st experience is kind of meh then maybe some people wont even bother ya know?

3. But having a good product is no guarantee of success if you're a shitty business person.

TastyIsBeer likes this.

4. i agree, there are a lot of aspects of what makes a business successful. i used to think that location was key then i realized that HF is out in the sticks even by vermont standards but they're still thriving. so if people really want something they will go far out of there way to get it no matter what.

5. I think this 'bubble' will continue to expand, and there will be any number of breweries that open up to help with the supply to meet this demand. However, even newcomers to the craft beer scene know when they drink a bad beer so that there will always be a washout of these places that don't get it right. (The beer mostly, but also the food and service too.) Shaky finances, poor management, etc. etc. etc. all fit into this equation.

6. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

A consolidation can't happen soon enough.

barroomhero1977 likes this.
  7. When will the bubble of threads on the craft bubble bursting burst?

Chaosfiend, Spikester, nickfl and 4 others like this.

8. Exactly. Yes, location can give you a boost but it's not the end all. There are places with what is considered a bad location that thrive. There are places with great locations that suffer. And I always say some sort of [sensible] gimmick isn't a bad idea either.

regularjohn likes this.
  9. Unfortunately I believe, never. Maybe the bubble will become a hot air balloon and float away.

10. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I can see it now. One beer festival with one brewery and one booth with a ten mile long line.

nickfl, otispdriftwood and yemenmocha like this.
  11. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

It would seem that Steelhead Brewing is closing because of an Irvine Company forcing them to. Did you read all these links, or skim them? Maybe I read it wrong. I skimmed.

12. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (570) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

Hey, running a business can really suck. Even if you are doing OK you might ask yourself after a few years of not getting rich "why am I doing this, am I nuts?". And try running a place that's not making enough and you have to take your home mortgage money (or rent money) and use it to pay business bills for a month or two. Despite what many in this country now think, running a business is not always fun. Lot's of gubmint jobs if you want.

13. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Savant (455) Texas May 14, 2013

I don't know either...article does not give that much information, does it?

14. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

15. LAD

LAD Aficionado (195) Texas Apr 16, 2008

The door could be half open. Or if you are a pessimist it could be half closed.

16. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Yup, people overuse the term "bubble". They go "OHMIGAWD THERE ARE LOTS OF DUSTY BOTTLES OF YEAR OLD DIPA!!! THE BUBBLE IS POPPING!"

17. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

If Steelhead Brewpub and Mad River (with a few beers named Steelhead) can get along without trademark disputes in the same state, what's up with all the recent disputes between breweries that don't even distribute in the same area or have identical names?

18. rather

rather Savant (305) California May 31, 2013

to bad for the steelhead employees but I'm not to sad about losing the beer it was mediocre. with ant hill pub just up the street with 30 awesome taps and tasty pub food it's not a big loss.

possibly because steelhead brewpub doesn't bottle or they have some agreement?

19. They should have busted open the books and made a call to John Taffer

checktherhyme likes this.
  20. There isn't a bubble. There are just bad business plans running towards their conclusion.

drtth and jkane101 like this.
  21. Stokes_

Stokes_ Initiate (0) Virginia Aug 13, 2013

I was getting ready to say... Steelhead is a good IPA.

22. Stokes_

Stokes_ Initiate (0) Virginia Aug 13, 2013

When Harrisonburg, VA is on the verge of having 2 craft breweries--there's definitely a bubble.

23. nickfl

nickfl Advocate (745) Florida Mar 7, 2006

Yeah, but it is a question that gets asked WAAAAAYYYY too much around here.

24. I went to UCI so whenever I could handle visiting my friends in deep OC we would meet at Steelhead. It's been years since I've been there but the burgers were pretty fucking good at least back then.

25. Steelhead had mediocre beer and food. That isn't the reason they are leaving. The Irvine Company (huge landlord and developer in OC) is kicking them out. They do that to a lot of places.

Clonies720 likes this.
  26. I can't imagine this is much different from the success rate of a small business. Not all of them are going to succeed.

27. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Champion (945) California Oct 13, 2007

The day the feds start forcing lenders to loan money to beer geeks who can't afford Dark Lord Day on their own will be the day I start worrying about a "bubble" in the craft beer world.

DavidHume likes this.
  28. jkane101

jkane101 Savant (460) New Jersey Sep 22, 2007

This^^^^^
    And if they're brewing mediocre beer then they are destined to fail.

surfcaster likes this.
  29. Businesses close sometimes

30. Let's talk about it when more a closing than opening. A few have folded in NC. A lot more are opening and some will no doubt close. Seems like there are some hobbyists out there as well. Drive through Asheville--bubble is expanding.

31. Are there any breweries in Asheville that don't get much love?

32. There are a lot of holes to still fill for American beer. In numbers for the consumers to attract to the good stuff, and for the variety of beer available, as well as the options for its place.

33. einhorn

einhorn Savant (370) California Nov 3, 2005

I think it's important to understand that a brewpub is really 80% restaurant and 20% brewery. The beer can make or break you, but the location, kitchen/food, (mis)management and personal can have just as strong an impact on success or failure.

34. Hard to say--can't keep up with the scene it moves so fast. There are some newcomers that I haven't had yet and with SN and NB on the horizon with their expansions, suspect there will be more attention on everyone up there.

I think Highland doesn't get the credit they deserve--next year they will be 20 yo-not many folks in this industry can claim that. They don't make much that "pushes the envelope" but about everything they make is solid and would pick it on tap in a heartbeat.

craigo19 and mjryan like this.
  35. Radical_Rick

Radical_Rick Aspirant (30) Arizona Sep 14, 2013

I will agree with duluoz on this, as well as the fact it's basic economics of supply and demand. A lot of people put to much capital into opening a brewery/pub without first doing their homework. The profit margin is good if you keep your overhead to sales ratio in mind.

36. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

Offering only Soylent Green Ale engineered from the remains of the vanquished brewers.

37. Kenzie

Kenzie Aficionado (230) Utah Feb 23, 2013

Good restaurants close all the time, it doesn't mean people are not as excited about food just that there is competition and not every can be overly successful, same goes with breweries.

38. Don't worry team.. I'm pretty sure there will be 4 new breweries are opening later today!! ;)

39. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I saw a post through a post on facebook that there is a turnkey brewery for sale in Illinois somewhere. Something like 15BBL brewhouse with 1000BBL a year capacity? For about a million.
    Anyone know anything about this? Was it someone in business and closed down, or ran out of money before brewing (alternatively didn't get license?)

40. It's on the ProBrewer forum - Turnkey Brewery for Sale in IL but "No further details as we need confidentiality."