1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries opening in Minnesota 2013/2014

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mnstorm99, Jun 20, 2013.

1. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

2012/2013 saw an increase of breweries that no one could really have expected. As I am feeling out of touch, what is going to be opening in the next year and a half?
    Chaz likes this.
  2. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Are you asking for a comprehensive list, or just feeling long-in-the-tooth? :D

(Note: I had an updated list a few weeks back before my p.c. took a hit and a wipe -- not backed up to any 'cloud', so this is off the top of my head.)

Bang! Brewing (St. Paul)
    Bent Brewstillery (Shoreview - currently Roseville)
    Burning Brothers (St. Paul)
    Enki (Victoria)
    HammerHeart (Lino Lakes)
    Hayes' Public House (Buffalo)
    Last City Brewing (St. Paul)
    Patriot's Brewing (Faribault)
    Pryes Brewing (Uptown)
    Tin Whiskers (Roseville)
    Urban Growler (St. Paul)

There's another in St. Paul the name of which I am forgetting (it's not "Steiner Brewing" -- that's been in the pipes for a while) and there was supposedly one opening in New Ulm, as well -- no word on that one of late.
  3. Chaz

4. Chaz

Most Likely. There've been anywhere from one to five separate plans percolating in that general vicinity over the last ten years, plus the guy up in Maple Grove, the guy in Champlin, and the guy over in Woodbury (sorry Trav!)

Another is "Fair State". Not sure of their location, but I keep confusing it with Falcon Heights...
    incutrav likes this.
  5. mnstorm99

Damn, and I thought they might be slowing down.

I have heard rumor that Nordeast Minneapolis might get another one as well. And, a brewpub next to Grumpy's Downtown.
  6. Chaz

Definitely plenty of rumors.

If we're going to be a state with any real Craft Beer clout at all, we'll have to hit 100. It's scientific! :cool:
    PieOhMy likes this.
  7. morimech

morimech Advocate (675) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Enki is supposedly opening in July. Drove by the building (the old creamery building about two blocks off of Hwy 5 in Victoria) and see they are going to have a taproom with an outdoor patio.
  8. Junkyard Brewing (Moorhead) - in the process of getting their final label approvals and hope to be selling in the next month or so.
    GFG likes this.
  9. morimech

morimech Advocate (675) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Correction. Enki in Victoria is now open. I stumbled into the place about 30 minutes after they through the doors open for the first time today. Cannot give much info as far as operations go as everyone was busy to engage in much conversation, but looks like draught only with a taproom which I suspect will have the usual taproom hours. I asked about types of beers they were going to brew and was told German influenced ales. Only one beer on-tap as of now which I could of sworn I was told was a pale ale. I would call it an amber ale as it was quite dark with a lot of caramel/crystal malt with some German malt flavor. Similar to Mankato's Organ Grinder Amber. They have a Kolsch coming on soon that sounds like no other Kolsch I have ever had. A darker, maltier version that does not sound like something I would like.
    Chaz likes this.
  10. interesting how people always throw that German influence in there regardless of the actual styles the brew. My favorite was I seemto recall them claiming to brew in the German and Belgium tradition, but the first bets they releas are an esb and a stout.
  11. tonye

tonye Aficionado (120) Minnesota Oct 28, 2009

A friend was riding her bike on St. Paul's West Side (across the river from downtown St. Paul) and saw some workers working on a vacant building. She asked if they knew what was moving in there, and they told her a brewery. Any idea who that would be? Is it one of the previously mentioned new St. Paul breweries, or someone else?
  12. bent paddle in duluth is awesome!
    nogophers, mnstorm99 and climbeer07 like this.
  13. Chaz

'Tis a new one. SHHHH!
  14. tonye

Agreed. We drank Bent Paddle all last week. Their beers are solid.
    nogophers and mnstorm99 like this.
  15. mnstorm99

I really enjoyed Bent Paddle and am excited to see what they do.

Seems very Indeed of the north, whatch would be a very good thing.
    nogophers, ZAP and minnesotaryan like this.
  16. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (725) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

Right on the money here...my thoughts exactly when I had them...granted their facilities are different and have different vibes (both good just different) but their beers rang similar to me...and I love Indeed
  17. mnstorm99

Beers and business plan are similar. Vibe is definately different.
  18. hamham

hamham Aficionado (160) Minnesota Oct 26, 2011

Wenonah Brewing opening soon in Goodview, MN, which is right outside of Winonah. Really good dudes behind this one.
    Chaz likes this.
  19. I hope they brew better stuff than at Wellingtons, unless Wellingtons has improved since I was there last
  20. Bemidji Brewing has expanded past Nano and has a taproom, slated to open within a month.
    Chaz likes this.
  21. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (725) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

I wonder how big of a challenge it is to brew on a bigger scale now......I've loved their nano sized stuff so far...
  22. 46and2

46and2 Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 28, 2008

Anyone have more info on HammerHeart?

Sounds like it would be right up my alley...
  23. 1bbl to 3 bbl isn't exactly a big jump. Tom will give us the same quality beer.
  24. tonye

25. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I think brewery taproom and brewpubs will revitalize the St. Paul nightlife scene like nothing else up to this point.
    nogophers likes this.
  26. Chaz

In case you might've blinked, Wenonah opened last Saturday. Growler and pint sales Thu-Sat.

Also:

- Day Block and Loose-Wiles were both caught in the shutdown, but are moving forward.
    - Hayes Public House
    is nearing completion.
    - Urban Growler
    is fully-funded (and with their build-out next on their agenda.)

I'm too lazy to add the rest right now, but 2014 looks like a whirlwind of openings for these plans, as well as Tin Whiskers and one or two others that have been mentioned. :cool:
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  27. That's a lot of breweries, right there.
  28. mnstorm99

Day Block is hoping to be open by years end, from the source.
    SipIt and Chaz like this.
  29. Hi,
    I'm heading out to the Twin Cities next week for a few nights and I'm looking for some advise.
    I love Town Hall and Happy Gnome and like Muddy Pig. Last year I enjoyed Indeed.
    I like to bring great beer back to Philly that we can't get and every year I hove lots of beer in my suit case.
    Any brewery's that I should hit that sell bottles or cans to go?

Thanks in advance,
    John
  30. Chaz

31. sacrelicio

None. It isn't legal here. BUT, I hear you can buy Surly at the airport, which would allow you to bring it in your carry-on.
  32. sacrelicio

And we can recommend plenty of stores (if you want to check your bag) and other places to drink. Where are you staying?
  33. sacrelicio. I bought some bottles to go last year from Indeed.
    I'm staying in Roseville.
  34. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

Some good guys over there. I wish them the best and look forward to their brews. I had a few of their pilots that were tasty.
  35. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (525) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

Good point. There's an odd exception for 750 ml bottles. Indeed was selling these out of their taproom for a while; not sure if they're still doing that. I believe Pour Decisions is/was as well. Other places do it for special releases (Steel Toe, Town Hall). Anywhere else?
  36. Statute dealing with growler sales includes 750ml bottles.

"The malt liquor shall be packed in 64-ounce containers commonly known as "growlers" or in 750 milliliter bottles."
  37. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (740) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

I thought it was a law that malt liquor had to come in 40 oz. containers.
  38. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

Not sure that anything but growlers will be available at the brewery, but you should be able to find bombers from Steel Toe in the better beer stores around here. That is something that you should be bringing back as representative of some top level brewing happening around MN right now.
    SipIt likes this.