1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries opening in Minnesota 2013/2014

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mnstorm99, Jun 20, 2013.

1. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Champion (790) Minnesota Feb 19, 2005

So how does that disprove my point? Unibroue is located in Québec where French is spoken. Lagunitas is located in California where Spanish is spoken by a large part of the population. Deschutes is named after a local river in Bend, Oregon that I'm sure most people who lived in the area when the brewery was just getting started knew about. Kuhnhenn is named after its owners which, although I think naming your business after yourself quite arrogant and cries of low self esteem, I can somewhat understand as it has some historical precedent in the brewing industry.

There is also the fact that all of the breweries you mention opened up when the craft beer industry was in it infancy, and there was little to no competition from other craft brewers. It mattered little at that time what you named your brewery, or how poor/amateurish/incompetent your marketing was. People were going to remember you, because you were the only game in town/state/area. If they wanted to drink craft beer they more or less had to buy it from you. Nowadays, with the industry its toddlership (if that's a word) it is much more important that a brewery looks professional in its marketing. What I see instead are a bunch of amateurish new brewery owners giving their breweries names that, as far as I can tell, are more cries for attention than well thought out marketing strategies.
  2. mjryan

mjryan Savant (480) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Using your family name for a business is a very old tradition, maybe even ancient. At the very least, the very least, it's indicative of high self esteem I would think, rather than low self esteem.
    fantome and UnderhillAcct like this.
  3. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Advocate (500) Minnesota May 10, 2009

The 12 year old humor reminds me of this place: https://untappd.com/brewery/13537/beer

"Bust-a-nut brown ale" "Rub-a-chub kolsch". Also, their logo. Not sure I'd want to consume anything these guys "brew".
  4. UnderhillAcct

UnderhillAcct Zealot (90) Minnesota Mar 29, 2010

Why don't you help these poor, immature, & amateur brewers out and offer up some examples you'd prefer their breweries be named? I'm sure they'd really appreciate your input.
  5. KarlHungus

We'll have to agree to disagree. People naming things after themselves is a pet peeve of mine that I get too worked up about sometimes. I am a person who highly values creativity, and naming something after yourself seems to be one of the most uncreative things you could do. I want the people who brew the beer I drink to be creative. I want them to be artists of malt, hops, yeast, water and adjunct.
  6. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

7. BeerBoy

BeerBoy Savant (255) Wisconsin Aug 6, 2003

From Hudson it's a 30 minute drive (Exit 28 and about 3 miles north of 94). As to what's on tap for the weekend, we haven't set the menu but rest assured there will be a wide variety of well-brewed, unique beers. And you'll get to talk with the owner / brewer / Chief Janitor as much as you'd like!
  8. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Savant (320) Minnesota Jan 30, 2013

9. cmannes

cmannes Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

Lol, I knew I should have added a smiley in there. I wasn't really trying to prove anything, other than Odd names don't always equal failure. Obviously, naming, branding, etc. are important to gain a foothold in any market. But as I'm just a IT guy, not a marketing guy, I'm just going to let someone else pick the names & logos, and I'll just drink the beers.
    KarlHungus likes this.
  10. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Savant (290) Minnesota Oct 27, 2010

Bauhaus Brew Lab is having their kickstarter party next week. I'm going on the 16th. Excited to see the new tap room and try a beer or two. Plus brats.
    billhelm and cmannes like this.
  11. KarlHungus

I think BA should have a function where a pop up appears when you click the post reply bottom. [Do you want to use an emoticon? You might sound less like a dick if you do]. I know I would benefit greatly from such a reminder.:)
  12. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (740) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

I don't know, that artwork for Wonder Wiener Wheat is pretty cool and nothing says delicious like Black Curly's IPA. That's as bad as it gets right there.
    GeezLynn and Chaz like this.
  13. 4four4

4four4 Aficionado (215) Minnesota Apr 27, 2007

They could have named their brewery Bigger Wood? I just hate the name Big Wood or Morning Wood.
  14. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Seriously; I had to wash my own mouth out with soap after checking out that Untappd link.
    maximum12, mjryan and jera1350 like this.
  15. mjryan

Good lord. It's a joke right? That place doesn't actually exist does it?
    Chaz likes this.
  16. Chaz

They are real (and that beaver logo will probably haunt me in my dreams):
    http://www.bigbeaverbrew.com/
    mjryan likes this.
  17. Mplsmetro57

That is the worst brewery site I've ever seen...and I've seen some pathetic ones.
  18. GeezLynn

Valid question based on their webpage, but their Facebook page erases any doubt. https://www.facebook.com/BigBeaverBrew
    Come get your jugs filled! Visit with Kate today…." Sounds like a different experience than you typically get when getting a growler filled.
    KarlHungus likes this.
  19. mjryan

They have a classic Belgium ale that uses classic Belgium yeast. They must have been upset when the Belgiums got knocked outta the World Cups. And I'm sure they love hops farms. Fuck me, I will never get the 2 minutes I spent looking at their site back, and it makes me kind of mad.
    GeezLynn and Chaz like this.
  20. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

You may like the artwork, but would you wear the shirt?

[​IMG]
  21. jera1350

... and I am now stabbing my eyes out!!!
  22. Keep me the hell away from that place! How do you survive with genital themed beers???
    Chaz likes this.
  23. jera1350

They must only serve to middle school boys.
  24. GeezLynn

Apparently their secret is balancing the genital theme with twentysomething year old, come-hither ladies?
    [​IMG]
  25. GeezLynn

Sorry man. On the bright side, Big Wood doesn't seem quite as ridiculous now, does it?
    mjryan and Chaz like this.
  26. doner24

doner24 Aficionado (175) Minnesota Apr 16, 2013

Lupulin Brewing in Big lake just received financing for their brewery.
    Spilled Grain Brewhouse in Annandale is on track to open in the spring.
  27. I just hope breweries out that far west are able to sustain themselves.

If someone is going to start one in Cokato though, they better buy this building:
    [​IMG]
  28. Mplsmetro57

29. Douggo

Douggo Aficionado (235) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

I bet they sell more t-shirts than beer.
  30. Helgy

Helgy Zealot (85) Minnesota May 22, 2014

With all of the talk of new breweries does anyone think that the Twin Cities market will become over saturated or people will get tired of all the breweries opening up? Right now its a gold mine and "If they build(brew) it, we will come", as I think everyone right now wants to try everything. It also seems "cool" per-say, even with the older crowd that was never much into beer other than their domestics (not trying to say everyone that is >40 never liked beer). But is there a tipping point? I suppose if you look at areas like Boulder Colorado, they have been able to sustain it, but can the Twin Cities market which seems a lot more into trends keep it going?
  31. If you had to put odds on the % that will close in this market within the next 5 years what would you put it at?
    I'm saying 20%
  32. Chaz

Every time I've privately brought up the idea of market saturation with local professionals*, the near-consensus opinion has always been: "It is impossible that it will ever become saturated."

I'm not sure what a restaurateur would think (coming from the standpoint of more brewpubs as competition) or what a taproom owner would think (no food, only food trucks), etc, but there is still: "A rising tide lifts all boats" being utilized as the key, operative mindset. And so word on the street today is that there's 3,000 breweries in America today and growing. Hmmm...

* beer importers and folks who do not own breweries, mostly.
  33. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Savant (290) Minnesota Oct 27, 2010

I'm sure some will be out of business just due to poor beer, poor marketing, poor whatever, but I think the idea of oversaturation is still a little over blown right now. You look at places like Portland, CO, SF, and they have a ton of breweries. WE have space for them, but only good ones with good plans and good beer.
  34. GeezLynn

Not a pro here, but safe to say it's impossible that it won't become saturated at some point. Unless these people believe current growth will be halted due to a raw materials shortage, or a similar issue. Are we supposed to believe there is going to be 2 breweries on every street corner?

I think the key word here is "new". So many new "craft" enthusiasts buying and willing to give every new producer a shot. There is little competition right now. At some point, the general experience level of this horde of new consumers will have increased (along with supply) and people will be more specific about what they want. Some of the new brands will be better recognized (perceived?) as inferior and left behind, along with the ever-present "hot" breweries where demand outstrips supply.
    maximum12 and KarlHungus like this.
  35. BeerBoy

BeerBoy Savant (255) Wisconsin Aug 6, 2003

Chaz likes this.
  36. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I'd add that the saturation point will be reached much faster for new "package" breweries.

The shelves will be overcrowded long before neighborhood street corners are.
    ZAP, feloniousmonk, morimech and 2 others like this.
  37. KarlHungus

Chaz likes this.
  38. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

This^^^

I have tried many of the MN breweries and beers on tap and that was enough for me. I am excited about the brewpubs however.
  39. morimech

morimech Advocate (675) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

I stopped in today. Only tried one beer, a low ABV chocolate stout on nitro. I thought it was pretty good. They had a lot of blond and wheat ales on though. They also had an IPA but I did not get a chance to try it. I love the location and space more than the beer.
    Chaz likes this.
  40. morimech

morimech Advocate (675) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

I visited 3 west side taprooms today. I could not get into the door at 2 of the 3 because they were so damn busy, and I did not want to wait. This was from noon to 2 pm. I think any taproom will do well and there is room for at least another 100+ breweries in the state. Wouldn't it be wonderful if every town had its own brewery? Even Eyota. http://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...king-for-potential-breweries-taprooms.189967/