1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries opening in Minnesota 2013/2014

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mnstorm99, Jun 20, 2013.

1. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Advocate (500) Minnesota May 10, 2009

Right you are. Pour Decisions has one or two beers available in 750's pretty much any time you go in there. Fitger's (Duluth) occasionally sells 750's, though that probably doesn't help most visitors.

Chaz likes this.
  2. Chaz

Chaz Champion (845) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

The brands at Boom Island fall under the "750 = growler" rubric, so that's another place where you can visit, have some taps, and pick up some bottles to take home.

3. jera1350

jera1350 Champion (750) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

4. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (330) Minnesota Sep 11, 2013

They have a pretty good story to go along with the opening. I could see them doing quite well if they start using the caves again and give tours of the operation.

5. What's going on with Shakopee Brewing?

Chaz, have anymore to tell us about?!

Come on!

6. morimech

morimech Advocate (710) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

And the one in Chaska.

7. Chaz

Here's an updated list, and note to @HammsMeASAP: three plans for Shakopee~! (maybe).

Planned breweries (and taprooms & pubs) listed alphabetical by city:

Belle Plaine - u4ic Brewing Inc. — 23436 Union Trail, St. 1 Belle Plaine MN 56011-9008
    Blue Earth - Oswald Brewing — 110 S Main St, Blue Earth, MN 56013
    Buffalo - Hayes' Public House — 112 First Street South Buffalo MN 55313
    Chaska - Minnesota Valley Brewing — 8750 County Road 43 Chaska MN 55318 (952) 484-3417
    Faribault - Patriot's Brewing Company (name may change) — 22 NE Fourth Street Faribault MN 55021
    Grand Marais - Gun Flint Tavern's "Big Swamp" Brewery - 111 W Wisconsin St Grand Marais, Minnesota 55604
    Jordan - Roets Jordan Brewery Co. — 415 S. Broadway Jordan, Minnesota 55352
    Hopkins - Live The Dream Brewing Co. — Hopkins MN 1016 Mainstreet Hopkins MN 55343 (715) 441-1391
    Minneapolis - Day Block Brewing Company — 1105 Washington Avenue South Minneapolis MN 55415
    Minneapolis - Fair State Brewing Cooperative — 2506 Central Avenue NE Minneapolis MN 55418
    Minneapolis - Loose-Wiles Freehouse — 701 Washington Ave N Ste 101. Minneapolis, MN 55401
    Minneapolis - Pryes Brewing Company — 2528 Hennepin Avenue South Minneapolis MN 55405 (612)787-7937
    CIDER Minneapolis - Sociable Cider Werks — 1500 Fillmore St. NE Minneapolis, MN 55413 - (612) 758-0015
    Montgomery - Montgomery Brewing Company — 306 2nd ave NW Montgomery, Minnesota 56069
    St. Paul - Burning Brothers Brewing — 1750 Thomas Avenue Saint Paul MN 55104
    St. Paul - Fytenburg Brewing Company — 363 Webster St. St. Paul, MN 55102 (651) 387-0708
    St. Paul - Mr. McGeasil Brewing — E 5th St, St Paul, MN 55101
    St. Paul - "Steiner Brewing" — 2104 Carrol Avenue Saint Paul MN 55104 (651) 206-0337
    St. Paul - Tin Whiskers Brewing Company — 125 East 9th St, Suite 127 Saint Paul, Minnesota 55102
    St. Paul - Urban Growler Brewing Company — 2325 Endicott Street Saint Paul, Minnesota 55114
    St. Paul - as yet un-named Schmidt Brewery / Dominium Development project — 882 7th Street W
    Shakopee - "Shakopee Town Brewing" - Shakopee -- (c.f. old notes -- three plans!)
    Shakopee - Un-named Project - Shakopee (Rahr?)
    Shakopee - "Shakopee Brewing Company" - Shakopee — 334 2nd Avenue Shakopee MN 55379

Some of these are much, much closer than the others to their opening date (as early as Thanksgiving for at least one soft opening) and a few of the planned brewing operations listed above haven't done much to update (website, blog, social media) in quite some time --including one or two added by Siegfried Binge and others to BeerMe!, and a couple that get bounced around between some of the other beer rating and beermapping sites.

Likewise, there was a plan called "Last City Brewing" which had a great City Pages write up 17 months ago and which had been planned to be St. Paul-based, but which seems to have dropped off the map altogether (traditional emails from yours truly went unanswered, and their social media presence has been dormant for quite a few months. Anyone know any more about that one?)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  8. jera1350

jera1350 Champion (750) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

WOW, that is a lot of new breweries.:eek:

9. tonye

tonye Aficionado (130) Minnesota Oct 28, 2009

Still nothing new on the StP West Side brewery? ;^)

10. Chaz

Hah! Well, I just did some cross-checking between the various lists, and think that one is among the as-yet unnamed BIP listings. I mean, there were about eight such listings for St. Paul the last time I looked! :eek:

(* A couple of those we now know will end up in downtown St. Paul plus a few in the Midway area, so that leaves three -- or more; I'm going on BA's 2012 PDF and their searchable database, here, plus my own list compiled from sources and listings outside of Brewers Association.)

tonye likes this.
  11. Pug

Pug Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 6, 2012

Chaz: I'll have to dig for some links because I just keep a list on a Word file (and never bothered to include links, sadly), but I have a couple of others to potentially add. Boettcher is one that I saw on a planned list, but the last time I checked (a few months ago), I couldn't find anything.

Blue Wolf Brewing (Coon Rapids) (2014) – Possible Taproom
    Rocky Coast Brewing (Silver Bay) (2014) Taproom
    Wenonah Brewing (Goodview) - Taproom
    Boettcher Brewing (Winona) (no information)
    Flynntown Brewing (Collegeville) (2013 / 2014)

Chaz likes this.
  12. Chaz

Thanks! Of those you list, this much I do know:

1. Boettcher's been in planning since 2006 (Internets say 2007) and may be permanently back-burnered.
    2. Is Blue Wolf still* in-flux from his old plan (homebrew supply-to Craft/Nano brewer)?
    3. Flynntown is new to me! I hope that Tron is made aware...
    4. The Rocky Coast plan I have heard of -- I'd emailed them and they shined me (oh well, I ain't Andrew!)
    5. Wenonah see above ^ (also now handily-listed here at BeerAdvocate. )

Also --and for what it's worth-- I just exchanged a set of very polite and friendly emails with Ms. Erin Glass of Brewers Association, and I would think that by now, it is clear that even BA is finding it challenging to keep up with all of the new plans -- and they have a staff of 47!

Cheers! :)

* Whoops! I see the new site. Verified. I'm off to update the other sites...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  13. Pug

Boettcher's is one of those that I found a listing on a couple of years ago, I added it to my list, but because there wasn't more easily found public news - I forgot all about it (which why my list has a section titled "Forthcoming, Maybe").

That section ultimately includes: Boettcher's, Blue Wolf, Flynntown, Last City, Minnesota Valley, Pyres, and Steiner.

The main forthcoming list is all stuff I've seen more recently (and now with a handful of additions from your list - so thank you for the extra updates on that).

14. Looks like I don't have to worry about trying new locals anytime soon.

Chaz likes this.
  15. igor

igor Aficionado (210) Minnesota Nov 7, 2009

Wenonah just opened.

Ish1 likes this.
  16. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

I will be ther quite often along with surlytwinsfan and 3hops. Excited about this!

Chaz likes this.
  17. tonye

tonye Aficionado (130) Minnesota Oct 28, 2009

Chaz likes this.
  18. Chaz

19. Rocky Coast is on permanent hiatus. So is Last City.

Chaz likes this.
  20. Chaz

Thanks! The second one I'd guessed to be the case.

21. Pug

That didn't take long (for Rocky Coast). Thanks for the update! I'll pull them both from my lists.

22. Chaz

Here's another new plan for Uptown Lyn-Lake Minneapolis.

P.S. I know that the last month of the year is a busy one (what with all of the holiday functions and bad sweater parties to attend), but look for a couple of the other Minneapolis plans to open before the New Year.

23. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

Has anyone heard about the beer that will be poured on the 16th at The Freehouse?

Chaz likes this.
  24. Chaz

Gonna be some surprises, I'm sure (and Micromatic's gotta be steamed about all the kegs harmed in the creation of the ceiling art in the "Volstead Lounge".)

McRyan likes this.
  25. DrZeus10

DrZeus10 Savant (285) Minnesota Jun 1, 2013

Chaz likes this.
  26. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Savant (320) Minnesota Jan 30, 2013

27. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Gluten free an organic? I dunno. I feel for people who have Celiac and need more options, but I see places like this being a flash in the pan.

28. Mplsmetro57

29. I spy labels 3 of the tap handles. IPA, Brown, and Stout. First one is unlabeled.

30. Chaz

I've gotta admit that place looks like they pretty much went all-out on it (and I also kinda wonder how much of their own beer they plan to provide to each of their locations, but that's placing the cart before the horse. :cool:)

31. Mplsmetro57

Yeah the keg lights are a nice touch lol

32. Mplsmetro57

33. Anyone going to the Freehouse today? I'm thinking of heading over for lunch.

34. sacrelicio

Report back if you do!

35. Chaz

So far I'd say that 'flash in the pan' can only accrue to outfits like Staples Mill or that brewpub in Waverly. But some of the Minneapolis "Foodie-ati" at City Pages are already up in arms about this plan. You'd think that there'd be a real interest in a dirt-worshippin' CSA sorta place, after all, Mud Pie was once a big draw down near there...

36. morimech

morimech Advocate (710) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

You mean this place http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16401/?view=beerfly&ba=morimech. Sort of a strange arrangement and the brewery seemed totally out of place. More of a chef driven establishment. The food was very good and obviously the focus. Not sure who the brewer was but the beer was not very good. Seemed to be more of a BMC crowd demonstrated by the lack of anything but BMC besides the couple house beers. Heard it was because of the brewery expense that the restaurant could not keep its doors open. Didn't another local place buy their brewing equipment when they closed? Cannot remember who.

37. Chaz

Yep, that's the one, and I'd heard that some of the equipment wound up at Dave's BrewFarm*, but not sure how much. A couple of folks (Tod at Mantorville, and some guy who used to brew at "The Watertower") know where it all ended up, but I'm still surprised it couldn't stay open longer than it did -- which was maybe a year?

I know that the western suburbs have been craving a place like that, but Waverly is a long haul for folks who are already accustomed to established and familiar haunts even closer, inside the metro loop.

(* Which is sort of ironic since he'd originally wanted to open west of the Twin Cities. :cool:)

38. Pretty cool looking on the inside with all sorts of sleek lines and industrial whatnots. Sort of standard brewpub layout with an island bar and their brew equipment behind glass off to the side. I liked the keg lamps and the bottle cap mural was dear to my heart. I was there after 2 so it wasn't busy and I spied a group of Dangerous Men at one end of the bar. Service was friendly and prompt. The food is on the pricier side and sounds fancy, but if it's anything like what I've had at 3 Squares and the sandwich I had to day, it's really not that special. They had a lot of choices though and they did look appetizing. I would maybe consider coming back for breakfast, but only because they encourage drinking. What really got to me though was the names of everything on the menu. "Breaky?" "Sando?" "Chix" and "Sammie" in the same name? It's quirky in very small doses but this was just too douchey hipster bandwagon for my taste.

But what you probably care about more is the beer. I had the house IPA and Kölsch. They were out of stout or I would have tried that. The IPA was fairly standard; not terribly hoppy despite its description and more on the bitter side (west coast fans would be left wanting). I felt like it needed more malt and came across as thin. It looked nice and smelled okay though. The Kölsch was nothing special, honestly. It was crisp but tasted like most other lagers out there and that's probably what I'd have thought it was unless told otherwise. However, I'm not as well-versed in lagers so it might just be me. I wish I had gotten the brown instead, but oh well. They had a modest set of other drafts with the likes of LB Harvestor, Midnight Ryder, 3 Phils, and Cutthroat on nitro. I did like that they had three pour sizes.

Bear in mind this is all the opinion of one person who had one meal on one day. Either way, this place will need to prove itself because just in the surrounding couple blocks, it will be competing with the Loop, Black Sheep, Smack Shack, Borough/Parlour, Bewiched, BLG, Clubhouse Jager, Cuzzy's, and Bunkers. It also isn't the only brewery with Fulton just a few blocks away. And hell you could just go to northeast or downtown for a million other choices. The place is part of a large and successful restaurant group, so I'm sure they won't struggle but I just hope they are more than a drop in the bucket.

morimech likes this.
  39. BeerBoy

BeerBoy Savant (265) Wisconsin Aug 6, 2003

No, no equipment from that brewery and I don't know where it landed.
    But yes, the first iteration of the BrewFarm was to be in Plymouth, MN - and we know how that worked out...
    In the end of that, I learned a ton along the way and landing out here in Wilson, WI became the truer vision of what the BrewFarm was conceived to be.
    Now, who wants to open a brewery?!?

Ish1, supercolter and Chaz like this.
  40. sacrelicio

Nice review, sounds like a gimmicky joint getting by on the novelty of brewing their own beer. I'll try it at least once because I work on Washington and there aren't many other beer-centric places right on that strip. And I automatically subtract one full point from any food place that uses the word "sammich" or any variation of.