1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Breweries opening in Minnesota 2013/2014

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mnstorm99, Jun 20, 2013.

1. McRyan

McRyan Member

There are still tweaks to these standard beers that go a long way from differentiating yourself from the herd. They made no attempt to do this.
  2. mjryan

mjryan Member

Big Jim is solid, though the first time I had it I wasn't very impressed. I actually just returned from the Freehouse. I had the brown ale and the IPA. Both we good in my opinion. Solid and safe to be sure. The burger I had was incredible.
  3. Pug

Pug Member

Speaking of Northbound, I had a chance to sample from a growler of their Solstice Wheat Saturday night at a holiday party. Friggin delicious. Now I really want to make it over there.
    McRyan likes this.
  4. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Member

5. Chaz

Chaz Member

6. RKPStogie

RKPStogie Member

Gotta love the lack of breweries opening in the Roch area...
    KarlHungus likes this.
  7. maximum12

maximum12 Member

The concentration of breweries in the Cities is astounding...there's zero of interest in the South Metro. A taproom would do really well just about anywhere down here.
    jera1350 likes this.
  8. HawkEye19

HawkEye19 Member

I'll believe that one when I see it. To me, there's more going on with that purchase than meets the eye.
  9. McRyan

McRyan Member

Sounds like Burning Brothers will be canning soon. Will they have a taproom?
  10. Chaz

Chaz Member

With 5,000 s.f. you'd think that they could shoe-horn a tasting area and taproom/growler sales, right? ;) This article here says that they will have a taproom.
    Maybe "zero" is the wrong choice of word, and instead there's merely little interest? There is a plan for Eagan (albeit no solid info to go on right now) and there's those Shakopee plan(s), so that sort of covers the east-west bias for the south metro/over the river. There's also some more gastropub plans and some other already established places upping their Craft and specialty tap selection (the fact that Buffalo Tap got BCBS and Darkness was surprise to me, at least.)
    LTS has you covered right there, Stogie. :cool:

Edit: "Patriot's Brewing" in Faribault has changed its name to F-Town Brewing.
    McRyan likes this.
  11. Shag

Shag Member

What's the story on Eagan?
  12. Chaz

Chaz Member

It's called "Cedar Grove Brewery & Tap", and there's precious little out there at the moment, but from what I hear their plan is to be open by the summer of 2014. A lot of BIPs plan to be open around that time, so it will be interesting to see so many open right in time for the prime summer months.
  13. Shag

Shag Member

Interesting, thanks. Any idea where in Eagan?

I hope that pans out - the SE metro is a bit of a beer wasteland. Would love to see something pop up in IGH, South St. Paul, or West St. Paul, but not holding my breath...
  14. Chaz

Chaz Member

Like I'd mentioned earlier there's no solid data of that sort, as the plan is just developing.
    I'd almost forgotten that Zest has now closed, but the Valley Tap House, Chianti Grille, and Carbone's seem to be making much more effort south and west of the general IGH, SSP, and WSP area.

Also, there's word that
    JL Beers and Williston Brewing Company will be entering the Twin Cities market, so I would expect one or both of these restaurant concepts to (perhaps) consider locations near e.g. the Old Chicago locations in Apple Valley and Eagan in order to draw from their existing clientele.
  15. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Member

Crooked Pint is also opening in Apple Valley, might be alright on the way to AV3.
    Chaz likes this.
  16. maximum12

maximum12 Member

Zest closed???? Shitballs. We were there about a month ago, I had no idea, that was one of the few unique places around Eagan with both good food & solid taps. Sucks.

And the southeast metro NEEDS a taproom. It's like the surface of Mars down here. I hope the Cedar Whazzit plans go through AND it doesn't suck.
  17. BeerBoy

BeerBoy Member

Here ya go: http://discussions.probrewer.com/showthread.php?35497-Taproom-in-Mpls-St-Paul-metro
    It's easy - everyone should open a brewery!
    LucetteBrewing and Chaz like this.
  18. jera1350

jera1350 Member

maximum12 likes this.
  19. Chaz

Chaz Member

20. RKPStogie

RKPStogie Member

How about a Dave's brewfarm franchise in the Roch...
    Chaz likes this.
  21. Chaz

Chaz Member

McRyan likes this.
  22. ZAP

ZAP Member

Yeah I saw that one...bring them on up here....had a Junkyard Dog IPA in Grand Forks recently and was impressed....much better than my first impression of a different beer of theirs last summer at Zorbaz in DL.....they may have gotten some things worked out....only had one pint but thought it was nicely balanced and very flavorful...not a hop bomb but very tasty,,,
    GFG and Chaz like this.
  23. RKPStogie

RKPStogie Member

I just hope they are better than the current home brewer in town that decided to open a brewery...
  24. solace

solace Member

not to beat a dead horse, but it's worth noting that Northbound had their Wild Rice Amber on tap after about a week of being open too.
    billhelm, Chaz and McRyan like this.
  25. StarRanger

StarRanger Member

It is 'Junkyard Brewing', no dog. I kept making that same mistake for a long while too because of the dog in their logo.
    I haven't had their IPA yet but they seem to be working through the kinks and were nicely reviewed in an article posted yesterday on MN Beer Activists - http://mnbeeractivists.com/newsfeed/junkyard-brewing
    ZAP and Chaz like this.
  26. Chaz

Chaz Member

Just a P.S. but it might be the plan to resurrect a very old, local brewing name and tradition. It's hush-hush...

There's also the "Stonehouse Pub" plan, which is detailed here:
    http://ramsey.kstp.com/news/news/426262-st-paul-expected-ease-restrictions-neighborhood-brew-pubs
  27. tonye

tonye Member

Thanks! I'm sure I know what that local brewing name is. I have a wooden crate that belonged to them ("Cave Aged")!
    Chaz likes this.
  28. monkeysort

monkeysort Member

A quick Google search on that name ("Cedar Grove Brewery & Tap") reveals this nugget: http://www.skillshare.com/projects/Cedar-Grove-Brewery-Tap/21978

Additionally, local area knowledge indicates that "Cedar Grove" would be the area of the old Cedarvale Mall, and also where they are constructing a new "high end" shopping outlet center/mall. This seems to jive with the link above, so my money right now would be this new brewery/taphouse being a part of the new shopping outlet center complex, perhaps as an anchor tenant. Or perhaps just in the nearby vicinity.

Very excited about this potential new brewery/taproom as it's very close to where I live and work. The proposed location is easy to get to from all parts of the metro area as it is the intersection of MN-77 (Cedar Ave) and MN-13.
    garymuchow likes this.
  29. morimech

morimech Member

I think being in a shopping center is a brilliant idea for a brewpub or taproom. Being able to bring in the odd curious shopper who otherwise would not consider going into a brewery would be very beneficial to a new business.
  30. jera1350

jera1350 Member

Their Facebook page map has a location of Pilot Knob close to 35E and the Eagan civic center.
  31. monkeysort

monkeysort Member

Can you provide a link to their Facebook page? All I can find for "Cedar Grove Brewery" is from the link above, where they talk about capturing "thirsty mall shoppers desire for unique malt beverages", and there are no real mall or shopping opportunities near the civic center. In fact, if you type in nothing more than "Eagan, MN" into Google Maps or Bing Maps, they both default you to a place marker very near the civic center. So, my theory is they just specified the location as "Eagan, MN" and that's what shows up when you don't supply a full address.

Sorry, just being a bit of a web sleuth. :)
  32. Chaz

Chaz Member

I see two pages: "Cedar Grove Brewery & Tap, LLC" and "CedarGrove Brewery*", plus a two others with similar names which may be unrelated -- there's definitely a learning curve involving Social Media and new breweries. ;)

*You can also contact the man with the plan right here.
  33. jera1350

jera1350 Member

I bet your right. I now see under the map "to be determined- Eagan, MN"

Thanks for the links Chaz. The LLC one is where I saw said map.
    Chaz likes this.
  34. Chaz

Chaz Member

35. BeerBoy

BeerBoy Member

I searched but nothing popped here on them: Bauhaus Brew Labs - https://www.facebook.com/BauhausBrewLabs
    http://members.metronorthchamber.org/list/member/bauhaus-brew-labs-llc-6069
    Goin' large right out of the gate - 30bbl brewhouse.

Next!
    monkeysort and Chaz like this.
  36. Chaz

Chaz Member

Yeah, and there are a few more to add, yet...

I've been in contact with Brewers Association (via Richard Stueven "BeerMe" site) and they are really having trouble keeping track on the national level. :eek:
    maximum12 likes this.
  37. BeerBoy

BeerBoy Member

Chaz likes this.
  38. Chaz

Chaz Member

I know, right?

(I had heard something 'bout this one through the local foodie grapevine, and just shook my head.)
  39. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Member

Don't know if this is the same India Palace in the email address.

http://www.indiapalacemn.com/

I would love a nice brew pup in the south metro, but does anyone foresee really cheap brewing equipment in the next few years (or months)

I am cool with the brewpub/tap room idea, but more places selling bottles is just insane. I rotate between breweries ~ for locals mostly Indeed, Steel Toe, Summit, Schell's and once in a while Surly. I cannot remember buying a 4/6 pack or a bomber or anything else local. I will by locals on tap almost exclusively, but normally that does not lead me to buying it in the store.

I understand that many of the breweries that build a niche in their area, Mankato, Brau (I know they have been around), Brainerd and the like, will always have a nice local following, as they should, but growing that business in the Cities will be hard.
    maximum12 likes this.
  40. McRyan

McRyan Member

Tower Brewing opening in St. Paul (94/Vandalia). Same ownership who did the building that 612 is in. Anyone else have more information?