1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries opening in Minnesota 2013/2014

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mnstorm99, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Yep, Peter Remes is the wizard behind so many of these urban re-purposing transformations, and his track record is excellent. And seeing as that space is in my hood I'll be getting word on it soon enough (note: I do have big ears and some friends in food/beverage and real estate, too, so I'd heard of the "plan" in July, before the articles outlining the re-development hit the digital airwaves, and for the time being I believe that one is more silicon snakeoil than anything. Let's see if Burning Brothers, BANG!, and Urban Growler can turn the world on its ear before we try to turn the western half of St. Paul's Midway area into the next 'Nordeast Brewery District', shall we? :cool:)

A couple of other updates:

Lazy Loon Brewing Company (Chaska, MN)
    PUBLIQ Brewing Company*

* It's worth noting that two recently-unveiled plans -Publiq and Stone Saloon- expect to open for business within the 2015-2016 timeframe, so don't plot-in those GPS coordinates just yet. :cool:
    MetricOcean and McRyan like this.
  2. The kick ass news finally got out! Scott Johnson the old owner of All Saints Brands Distributing and Importing will be opening his dream brewery sometime this year. Three years ago he called me up and asked if he should start a brewery, it's nice to see he listened to my advice. I have been to the dynamite St. Paul location, seen the art work on the big cans and have tasted the old recipes that made All Saints Brands famous in this market and the country. ie. beers All Saints Brands developed for current breweries and defunct breweries. The best job I have ever had. If we had a Mount Rushmore for beer in our state he would be one of the four faces on it! Cheers to Scott!
    4four4 and Chaz like this.
  3. It wouldn't be Dave's BrewFarm if it wasn't Dave and wasn't on a BrewFarm.
  4. There are two names I haven't seen here yet: Tin Whiskers and LynLake.
  5. Dave2234

Dave2234 Aficionado (200) Minnesota Aug 20, 2013

As a practicing electrical engineer, I'm really looking forward to Tin Whiskers. Go Geeks!
    tonye likes this.
  6. Chaz

7. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

So this makes two breweries in Victoira (Lazy Loon says Victoria, not Chaska, but the same area). Are they just a canning operation where someone else is brewing the beer? Like Tonka? I have no clue...
    Chaz likes this.
  8. Chaz

C.f. Minnesota Valley Brewing - ( the same street address as the registrant for http://lazyloonbrewing.com/ )
    It could be a co-packaging arrangement like Tonka, but it seems to be more involved.
  9. mnbearsfan

I wish all breweries well. But MANY will have to fight for my dollar outside of a brewpub/bar/tap room ~ I do buy MN in these settings and not national brands very often except special releases.
    Chaz likes this.
  10. Chaz

I wish 'em all well, too.

I'm a creature of habit (not a ticker), so when I counted the distinct beers from Minnesota breweries circa 2006 to today, there were over two hundred on the list -- most of which I have yet to try! Even if many of these were festival only (or "DONG" from the brewpubs and taprooms which have since proliferated) that's a lot of beer to try. But the Beer Obsession (drinking, collecting junk for the garage...) ain't my only hobby so I don't feel so bad.

It's also hard to be everywhere at once; every fest, every retail outlet, every taproom...
  11. You can read some of the history and see some of the pics of the location and artist renderings in this forum: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=14256.0

Right down the street from 612Brew. I'm loving the craft brew scene coming out of NE.
  12. Pug

Pug Savant (365) Minnesota Jun 6, 2012

I'll visit them all (someday), and will probably return to some of the out of the way places like Enki to see how they've developed and changed (plus, I had a good visit during their soft opening with only two beers on tap), but it will generally take something superior for me to spend extra time / money buying a pint when I'm at a bar or buying more than a single in a mixed six when I'm at the store.
    Chaz likes this.
  13. Chaz

This next one is not a plan for Minnesota, but it's fairly close... Barley John's in New Richmond, WI.
    mnbearsfan and maximum12 like this.
  14. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Ri-fuck-ulous that Barley John's can't open their brewery in NE Minneapolis.

Speaking of which, did St. Paul ever repeal the law that made it illegal to dance in the dark?
    Chaz and McRyan like this.
  15. Chaz

Dancin' in the dark requires a venue to have a food license and a one drink minimum per customer.
    (Bruce on the Touchtunes is also required. :cool:)
    biniek13 likes this.
  16. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (230) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

17. mnbearsfan

Explain....
  18. Chaz

Same folks. It's all local (Uptown/Wedge) politics. I believe it had something to do with the commercial retail and commercial on-sale overlap in the relevant platting.

Edit: I know that sounds like technical mumbo-jumbo and it is; if you have a friend in real estate and zoning, perhaps they can break it down for you. It's basically a study in Minneapolis neighborhood politics, and not a whole lot more. :cool:
  19. McRyan

Ha, sounds good! Glad they are getting things worked out.
  20. herman77

herman77 Savant (490) Minnesota Jan 24, 2010

Can you tell us that story again about your mothers daughter Surly experience? ;)
    jera1350 likes this.
  21. McRyan

22. BeerBoy

BeerBoy Savant (255) Wisconsin Aug 6, 2003

Chaz likes this.
  23. Chaz

24. Pug

I'm hearing of a brewery working to get into the old Hamm's building - not Flat Earth, a new small one. I don't have documentation, it's a friend of my co-worker. Don't know the name. If it goes down, it's going to be all seasonals based on what crop comes in, and season to season the batches won't be exactly the same. Local ingredients.

Even though I work in an industry not at all related to beer, we might get to meet up with the guy in the near future so he can talk about his stuff to the handful of beer geeks we've got working here.

My guess is 2015 at the earliest, if everything moves fast.
    Chaz likes this.
  25. Chaz

I want to think that this is, at long last, Last City Brewing, and that they will be brewing lots of seasonal lagers.:D
  26. BeerBoy

BeerBoy Savant (255) Wisconsin Aug 6, 2003

Opportunity is a-knockin': http://discussions.probrewer.com/showthread.php?36679-Turnkey-brewery-Minneapolis-MN
    Get those Benjamins lined-up and start a brewery! It's easy!
    And you'll make sooooo much $$$ you'll have to "call in rich" before you know it!
    BONUS! I just checked the BA database and "Northside Brewing" isn't taken! (though Google reveals a number of beer co's and formerly-known-as NBCs)
    (I apologize for the extensive use of "!" - I just get so excited!)
    KV12482, whudathunkett, Pug and 3 others like this.
  27. Chaz

Just a very brief update on this "plan", and that is to say that there is no definite plan, presently.

I spoke with a newly-opened local coffee roaster (co-op) that presently shares a space in Watertower Place, and he said that the developer's real estate agent is insistent on signing a brewpub or small packaging brewery. Any takers?

Meanwhile, over on Lake Street, get ready to welcome East Lake Brewing*!

*Maybe.
    McRyan likes this.
  28. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Savant (290) Minnesota Oct 27, 2010

29. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (505) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

30. Chaz

31. Chaz

It's a scientifically-proven fact that Minneapolis cannot have enough brewpubs. I can't wait to see the bicycle rikshaws ferrying people from one place to the next. :D
  32. Pug

I don't see that as an issue. No different than the Lyndale Tap House being next to Muddy Waters with the Herkimer and Moto-i across the street. It'll be a busy area, but if they're good, they can make it.
    McRyan likes this.
  33. McRyan

The Herk will cause no issues. Still shocked there is not a new brewery in Uptown.
  34. McRyan

Have any info on the uber secret Brau Lab? The guys at Sociable (who by the way have the coolest stainless steel growler now) said they will be doing lagers.
  35. mkhartnett

36. billhelm

billhelm Savant (370) Minnesota Feb 9, 2011

I think at least a few have tried to open in uptown and failed because they were not able to navigate zoning/city council issues. I remember one that got a nasty voicemail from the previous council member.
    McRyan likes this.
  37. mkhartnett

Had I won a billion dollars I would have done it.
  38. Chaz

Yeah, I'd say that the voicemail fueled their desires more than anything else.

Seeing as how the Lyn-Lake Brewery plan and Pryes are both in (or sorta-in, as Pryes is closer to the Wedge) Uptown, I'd say that that part of Minneapolis will have enough fresh, quality Craft Beer to go around -- before long.
    billhelm likes this.
  39. Does that mean your bracket wasn't perfect?
    morimech likes this.