1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries opening in Minnesota 2013/2014

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mnstorm99, Jun 20, 2013.

1. I agree even if they moved to a 12 oz bottle format, that would help a ton... I (like you) would prefer cans, but a six pack of Size 7 is still much more tempting than a bomber.

2. Chaz

Chaz Champion (845) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

It's at 558 Vandalia -- I think it's called "Vandalia Place" now (c.f. Watertower Place, was a King Koil factory.) I was just talking to a guy who leases a space in there this morning, and he says that at least one brewery plan had been negotiating a lease, but he's not sure of the status. Could be one of at least several BIP plans for St. Paul that I know of (or even one of the fifteen or so that I am still not aware of! :eek:)

It's too late to edit my original response to you, but: Amity Brewing plans to can their beer.

A small update on Bank Brewing in Hendricks. Still waiting on Federal approval but they are ready to bust -- more on this interview at the Jack of All Brews blog:
    [​IMG]

Otis32 likes this.
  3. Hey thanks for reposting this!

I'm going to interview Aaron Schramm about the addition of brewing to their vineyard in Waconia. I'll try to post a link here when I've got that written up.

Chaz likes this.
  4. Shag

Shag Savant (250) Minnesota Jun 27, 2007

So, distribution only, no taproom? Or in addition to a taproom?

5. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Champion (810) Minnesota Feb 19, 2005

Can we convert this thread back to the New Breweries Opening thread instead of the Price of Bombers thread? Just saying.

6. Pug

Pug Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 6, 2012

Good for Bank! Who knows when / if I'll ever get out there, but I like that they are there - just like I am able to get up to Jack Pine a handful of times per year on the way up to the cabin since it's just off the road.

Jackofallbrews and Chaz like this.
  7. morimech

morimech Advocate (710) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

So there are at least three breweries planned for Waconia.

8. Otis32

Otis32 Aficionado (155) Minnesota Jan 1, 2011

Have spent a lot of time some years pheasant hunting up and down HWY 75. Looks like I know where to end the day now.

Thanks for keeping this thread up as well.

Chaz likes this.
  9. Chaz

10. Chaz

There are so many plans in the works for St. Paul that it is confusing, but I do believe that one to be Wabasha.* Their initial plan includes a taproom and growler sales, with more of the features that we've come to expect from new area breweries as they gradually build their business and expand.

*Note: If you check out 'Street View' on Google, you can see them working on the building, from last summer. :cool:

11. tonye

tonye Aficionado (130) Minnesota Oct 28, 2009

Yes, that's the place. I drive by there pretty regularly, so I always look for any activity. But I never see any; shades are closed; lights are out. Good to hear that it's still in the works. Thanks!

Chaz likes this.
  12. www.opinionbrewing.com

13. Chaz

A few more updates:

- Stone Saloon project is slowly taking shape.
    - Urban Growler will be open for visits (but not fully operational) during the Green Line launch celebration, June 14th.
    - Some local area press coverage for Waconia Brewing.

grantcty likes this.
  14. Chaz

Weekend Update:

Shakopee Brewing Company hasn't updated social media in some time, but read more about their progress here.
    Oliphant Brewing (Brewers Association lists St. Paul, but it is Somerset, WI) has beer out in the wilds of Wisconsin...

New to the radar:
    Anandale - Spilled Grain Brewhouse
    St. Michael - Pondscum Brewing

More to come...

Pug likes this.
  15. mjryan

mjryan Advocate (505) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

So this Oliphant thing is open? In Germany? Shit, I mean Wisconsin? Their website is all kinds of effing cornfusing.

Chaz likes this.
  16. Pug

My head just exploded trying to read that. But, Somerset for sure.

17. Chaz

Yep! When I first found their page I thought it was a HomeStuck site with homebrewing as a side project.

Two more:

Otsego, MN - Reckless Twins Brewing
    St. Paul, MN - Character Brewing

18. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

Really? Hey bartender...can I have a Pondscum!

19. Chaz likes this.
  20. Pondscum- Yikes...

21. Chaz

22. psychotia

psychotia Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

I get the theme, but does nearly every beer have to have the word "dream" in it?

And what happens when they brew a wet hop beer?

hoeg0015, opwog, KV12482 and 3 others like this.
  23. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Champion (810) Minnesota Feb 19, 2005

Then they collaborate with the marketing team at Big Wood to come up with a name that would appeal most to twelve year old boys.

24. Chaz

^ This is the correct answer!
    Andrew posted an update, too, and there's this:

opwog likes this.
  25. BeerBoy

BeerBoy Savant (265) Wisconsin Aug 6, 2003

Chaz likes this.
  26. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

27. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Savant (320) Minnesota Jan 30, 2013

28. Chaz

29. Chaz

When it comes to being punny guys, Big Wood is too legit to quit. :cool:

30. ekimmel

ekimmel Aficionado (160) Minnesota Apr 22, 2014

So besides Waconia Brewing and Schram who else is opening a brewery in Waconia? I'd be surprised if we didn't already have 3 wineries and the new J. Carver distillery.

Chaz?

Chaz likes this.
  31. Chaz

32. KV12482

KV12482 Aficionado (125) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

Not a new brewery but I was told that Lucid is looking for a new location and then opening a taproom.

33. Pug

Who the heck is North Lake out of Ham Lake? I assume they contract out to Cold Spring or Schell's.

34. I hear their commercials on the radio......... I believe.

35. Chaz

From the 24-rack format to the typeface, motif, color scheme and even the web design, it screams Cold Spring ca. 1997:

[​IMG]

36. A quick TTB search shows COLAs for both Minhas and something out of Memphis, TN, which I'm guessing is that brewery City Brewing acquired some years back.

Chaz likes this.
  37. Chaz

Merely the thought of Minhas rendering a Cold Spring-esque "Honey Lager" unto the market makes me weep for humanity.

muck1979, maximum12 and KarlHungus like this.
  38. 4four4

4four4 Aficionado (215) Minnesota Apr 27, 2007

This stuff is brewed at Minhas.

39. morimech

morimech Advocate (710) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Schram Vineyards, Winery & Brewery in Waconia is officially open. Got state approval to sell beer at 1645 today and sold their first pint to me shortly thereafter. Sounds like the struggle with state officials literally went to the eleventh hour. Beer available on Friday evenings and Saturdays. Sunday is wine only. If your partner or buddy is not into beer, well there is wine, very good wine. Also bramble, a fruit infused honey wine. I bet real braggots are not in the too far distant future. Not really a taproom as we in the state have grown accustomed to, but a pavilion with a vineyard and attached grassland and a view of a lake. Plenty of seating and limited privacy around the property but rain would put a severe restriction on that. Really relaxing and quiet from the busyness and noise of the city. Does not sound like growlers are going to be happening because the state does not know how to handle this situation.

ekimmel and Chaz like this.
  40. doner24

doner24 Aficionado (200) Minnesota Apr 16, 2013

Anyone else hit up LTD brewing yet? Stopped in yesterday and had a flight, beer was very underwhelming to put it nicely. Their batch 1, a brown ale was one of the worst beers I've ever tasted. I'll give them a few months before I stop in again for another chance.