1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries that have exceeded your expectations

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by LCB_Hostage, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Someone recently started a really cool thread about breweries that just haven't managed to impress you despite having a good reputation. I thought it might be fun to look at the question from the other direction now. So, what breweries make beer you weren't that excited to try at first, but now you're glad you did?

First on my list has to be Victory. As a SE Pennsylvania resident I just always took them for granted. Their beer was everywhere and it was always priced so reasonably that I figured it had to be sorta second tier. But I can honestly say, I've never had a Victory product that wasn't good to great, and I've tried a lot. The do everything well, and I can't figure out how they can keep their prices so low and still make money.

Second would probably be Troegs, for many of the same reasons listed above. Plus, I've come to really appreciate their willingness to bring some west coast hopmania home to PA.

So, what brewers brought an unexpected grin to your face.

jjchristiano likes this.
  2. In before HF HT 3F blah blah blah

TheMonkfish likes this.
  3. Alpine Beer Company hands down. The brewery is about the size of apartment and you can drive by about a hundred times and never notice it. No fuss, just great beer. The best IPA's in the world are born in that little shack.

BrianTheBrewer30 likes this.
  4. Oskar Blues has those funky looking cans that kinda put me off but I tried their beers and I really liked them.

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  5. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Uinta- specifically their crooked line series. Labyrinth is just great.

Kmccabe33, haruspexvic and afrokaze like this.
  6. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

There's a new local brewery in Chicago named Begyle Brewery that I got to try as a recent fest. I had barely even heard of them before and gave their stuff a shot mainly because there wasn't a line in front of their table. They ended up having some of my favorite pours of the whole fest. They dry hop all of their beers and the owners took the time to discuss why they chose certain flavor notes over others in the beers they were serving. I'm excited to find a few bottles now to try again.

7. Jack's Abby in MA is a new favorite of mine. They have only been around for a couple of years but continue to make one great lager after another.

cincysig and BostonHops like this.
  8. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

Logsdon

afrokaze likes this.
  9. SNBC, FW, Stone, Bell's

10. Wilb

Wilb Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 18, 2011

This week, Maine Brewing. Peeper, Mo, Zoe and King Titus have all been very nice.

11. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

Back Forty in Gadsden, AL. I am from Alabama, and don't expect much from our breweries because AL is one of the worst states to live in if you appreciate good craft beer, but Back Forty makes some fantastic beers. If you have the means, try their Naked Pig Pale Ale, Freckle Belly, and the Truck Stop Honey Brown Ale

12. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought "Victory". To me they don't make the best beers on the street, but to me they make some well crafted brews that are readily available at a lot of supermarkets and bottle shops around here at a crazy low price. They seem to cover a lot of turf in terms of different styles and somehow seem to always come up with a product of good to excellent quality (Storm King and V-12 are foolishly cheap for how decent they are.)

Thanks OP for starting a positive post!

13. Another Jack's Abbey vote. I remember randomly trying them when I first started seeing them in bottles and was greatly impressed. Everything I've had from them that's followed that I've liked too.

14. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

Sante Adairius

afrokaze likes this.
  15. Alesmith. They have a great core line up first and experiment later. Every beer they make is a great representation of that style.

Some of these new up and coming breweries do it all backasswards. The first beer they make is a nitro, chili pepper IPA, but the base IPA itself sucks.

teamwiggum likes this.
  16. cway2031

cway2031 Zealot (90) Illinois Jan 27, 2013

+1 Uinta

bifrost17 likes this.
  17. jhhollier

jhhollier Savant (285) Louisiana Feb 4, 2008

Clown Shoes, the artwork on the labels and the name choices kinda threw me off but the beers are all very solid IMO. Really enjoy Hoppy Feet 1.5, Chocolate Sombrero, Muffin Top and Third Party Candidate.

18. Flying Fish and River Horse. Two Jersey breweries that whenever I get one of their offerings, I find them always of high quality. If I see them on tap in a local joint I always take one.

19. Great Lakes. All their beers are super clean and true to the style. In terms of consistently great overall quality, they're almost as good as Harpoon

TomTwanks likes this.
  20. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Pipeworks, a local here in Chicago. So far everything I have had from them has been phenomenal! I love it

Zuidman likes this.
  21. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Russian River
    Firestone Walker
    Cantillon
    Drie Fonteinen

22. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

I second GLBC. Some of the best lagers in the country for sure...and I've never had a bad product. Anything dark or malty they got it on lock down...and alchemy hour is pretty stellar!

Edit - Almost forgot Columbus Brewing Co - every beer they make is phenomenal!

23. Jack's Abbey. Such wonderful things happening in MA.

24. Ithaca. Mostly because I remember the days before Brute, and etc.

Anker13 likes this.
  25. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Sante Adairius is my new homer brewery. Pretty much one homebrewer and his wife doing their thing, but the beer is unique and almost always excellent.

26. Dont over look victory, one of the best breweries pound for pound.

27. Toppling Goliath from Iowa

hardy008 likes this.
  28. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (525) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Yes, to this. Oskar Blues arrived in Ohio shortly after Sixpoint's arrival & after being disappointed w/Sixpoint's stuff I had tread lightly w/Oskar @ 1st but I've enjoyed everything that I've had Ten Fidy, Old Chub & Lil Yella Pils being frequent purchases.

29. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

You beat me to it. I live in Seattle and have only had their stuff through trade, and it's all been outstanding.

Durb777 likes this.
  30. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

I could list dozens of great breweries, but much of the time they are simply meeting expectations rather than exceeding them. I'm not surprised when I get a great beer from Stone or Founders or Bell's or Russian River. It's just what I've come to expect.

For surprising breweries, Lagunitas probably meets the criteria. I had always thought of them as a brewery that makes decent, but cheap, beers. Nothing of theirs particularly offended me (until Cappuccino Stout), but none wowed me either. Then I had Little Sumpin' Sumpin', Sumpin' Wild, and Sucks and was really impressed by all three.

I recently made a cross-country drive and detoured a decent bit just to go through Kernville. We stayed in a lodge that was not but maybe 50 feet from the brewery. I had high expectations from the brewery and they were definitely met, though oddly not by the beers I was expecting. I tried Just Outstanding right away and while it was certainly good, the 5th Anniversary/Winter Ale and Class V Stout were the two that impressed me the most. All-in-all, an awesome experience. Plus they sell reusable cloth six-pack bomber carriers with their logo! That's just about the handiest damned beer-related paraphernalia I've bought since my keychain bottle opener.

31. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

I you need more pipeworks and want to trade let me know. Right now they are on fire and churning out brand new batches every 2 weeks. Plus I can think of a few west coast offerings that we don't get here that I would want :)

32. atomic

atomic Savant (445) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Desuchutes
    We only just started getting them in Chicago and everything I've had from them has been great. Really enjoyed hop henge and chain breaker particularly. I can really drink chain breaker all day.

But double second on the pipeworks. I actually know one of the two guys behind it and when I saw he stared a brewery I was pretty excited but had little faith it would be successful. Man how wrong I was. It's not even been a year since they opened the doors on their facility and they have a longer list of solid beers under their belt than most well established breweries.

33. haruspexvic

haruspexvic Savant (265) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

Uinta
    Revolution
    great lakes

34. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Boneyard
    Block15
    Anchorage

35. Jonada

Jonada Savant (485) New Jersey May 23, 2012

Great Divide's beers pretty consistently exceed my expectations

36. Kmccabe33

Kmccabe33 Savant (425) Georgia Nov 4, 2011

Jack's Abbey, and I can't even get it down here. I thought no way Hoponius Union was as good as people said, but boy was I wrong. Could drink that by the gallon.

37. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (955) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Dark Horse. Didn't know much about them, but I have had some nice beer from them.