1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries to watch in 2013

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MCDub, Jan 4, 2013.

1. MCDub

MCDub Savant (310) North Carolina Dec 17, 2009

Title says it all. What are some breweries that are either new, have big things coming in 2013, or are just too solid not to miss?

If you can make it to Asheville, NC, Wicked Weed is a must try. I was able to try 4 of there offerings a few weeks before they opened. Opened the doors to the public on Dec. 28th with 19 offerings. I expect big things out of Luke, Walt, and Ryan.
  2. Zach136

Zach136 Advocate (555) Georgia Jun 17, 2012

Creature Comforts, Blue Tarp and Three Taverns are all opening in GA this year. I'll be keeping a very close eye on them.

ETA: Monday Night Brewing, Burnt Hickory and Wild Heaven are others to watch in the Peach State.
  3. Crooked Stave, A.C. Golden and Black Shirt in Denver.
  4. Maine Brewing !!!
  5. DC Brau !!!
    raveskdr, Jason311, Momar42 and 3 others like this.
  6. West Sixth. Toasted coconut tripel FTW!
    fredmugs likes this.
  7. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Pretty Things...and second the vote for Jacks Abby.
  8. fortsambo

fortsambo Savant (250) Colorado Feb 14, 2011

Crooked Stave (Homer pick)
    Larkin4beer likes this.
  9. Docer

Docer Savant (415) Washington Nov 20, 2008

Loowit Brewing here in Vancouver WA. Solid stuff, yet simple as of yet.

The Commons in Portland Oregon.. super good stuff coming from them, and always way beyond expectations.

Base Camp Brewing in Portland Oregon. These guys know what they are doing.
  10. CuriousMonk

CuriousMonk Savant (470) Virginia Dec 24, 2010

theBeerAuthority says... Hardywood.
  11. larryi86

larryi86 Champion (760) Delaware Apr 4, 2010

Evolution is the brewery that I am following in 2013, new location in Maryland is bigger and Lot #6 and Rise Up Stout should be finally be in bottles this year, and all of their barrel aged beers are great!!!
  12. I don't know if Jester King has already "made it", they're pretty new, but they seem like they know what they're doing and I expect good things to come.

Bier in Indy has won a few medals at the GABF but doesn't bottle yet. I'm hoping they do so sooner than later.
    visualmartyr and MSandahl23 like this.
  13. kevanb

kevanb Advocate (675) Illinois Apr 4, 2011

I am very curious to see what sort of odd maneuvers the BMC guys try to do in 2013 to reverse their declining numbers
    IPA4LIFE, dc4three, afrokaze and 2 others like this.
  14. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I have ants in my pants to see what Freetail and HF put out this year.
  15. ROBSTARR

ROBSTARR Savant (350) Michigan Aug 31, 2009

Oddside !! There going to start bottling this spring I think :) Citra Pale ale all summer !!!!
  16. Prairie Artisan Ales in Krebs Oklahoma, rocking brett saisons and hoppy farmhouse ales.
  17. ZPag

ZPag Zealot (95) New York Dec 3, 2012

+1 on Jack's Abby. They just put in new tanks to allow 80% more capacity. Their beer is SO good.
    MAbeerNE1 likes this.
  18. Definitely Brash Brewing, every beer they've brewed so far has been mind-blowingly awesome, and Maine Beer Co
  19. Toppling Goliath, with their expansion and bottling line, seems like the place to keep an eye on in the Midwest.
  20. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

The Ale Apothecary in Bend, OR.
    tcampbel1 and libbey like this.
  21. michael_king

michael_king Disciple (60) Virginia Dec 18, 2012

22. High Cotton and Memphis Made are both opening up in Memphis 2013 , Ive heard great things about them so far and I am ready to have two new craft brewers an hour away from home, so for me they are the ones I will be watching
    BlueMoon10 likes this.
  23. I've always seen them around so I guess I never realized how limited their distro is. Hooray for MD/DE for once.
    ISO: Terrapin, FT: Evolution.

Tired Hands also, I occasionally kick myself for not having gone up there yet.
    larryi86 likes this.
  24. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

+1 to Jester King...they always seem to have something very interesting up their sleeves. I don't expect them to slow down now...
    Clonies720 and beerboy9960 like this.
  25. StoutSeth

StoutSeth Savant (265) Virginia Sep 24, 2010

I'd give a +1 to Hardywood in Richmond VA
    Jason311 and CarolinaKevin like this.
  26. ROBSTARR

ROBSTARR Savant (350) Michigan Aug 31, 2009

Also I would like to add Epic Brewing, there not really new but seem to keep getting better and better every year
  27. Tired Hands in Ardmore PA. Awesome beer. Great saisons and IPA's.
    ShanePB, erikl48, Thorpe429 and 5 others like this.
  28. Night Shift, Tired Hands, Pipeworks, and a few others
  29. Maine Beer Company. I'm excited to try their double ipa.
  30. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

I'll be following Jackie O's.

Love their crazy beers.
  31. Gonna go with Societe here in San Diego. Hopefully some of the beers from their sour program should see the light of day this year. Also, I'm crazy excited for some of the new stuff from The Bruery.
  32. mynie

mynie Advocate (685) Indiana Jun 22, 2004

Amen to this. They're the most exciting thing to come out of the Iowa beer scene since... well, ever, I guess.

They're on tap all throughout the state, but since Iowa has shitty growler laws it's really hard to get ahold of any for trading purposes. I cannot wait until they start bottling.

As for Indiana, I've been very impressed lately with Flat 12, out of Indy. Their boilerplate offerings are solid, but lately they've been nailing some really adventurous stuff like a Kiwi Hefe and a Glazed Ham Porter. I hope they start releasing some of the weird beers in bombers.
    dlello2, jtosh and tgchief like this.
  33. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

34. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

35. They already have a ton of hype, but Boneyard is expanding and will have a canning line this year. Look out!
  36. These guys for sure. They even announced last night they're opening a second brewery in Denver this year.

Not to vouch for my old hometown, but all the players in Utah are coming on strong. Uinta is really making a surge as well.
    ROBSTARR likes this.
  37. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (470) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

Second for Greenbush. I'm starting to see their stuff more and more on draft and they kill it at the beer festivals.
    ja1022 and ROBSTARR like this.
  38. Jackie O's - the increased distribution through canning will get some of their regular line more distribution and hopefully turn on others to the fantastic unique brews they produce.

Also...
    Crooked Stave
    Tired Hands
  39. riotinmyskull

riotinmyskull Savant (290) Virginia Dec 15, 2011

tired hands
    hardywood park