Breweries to watch in 2013

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MCDub, Jan 4, 2013.

1. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (345) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

only had a few of their beers but loved the primal pale ale. good stuff.:)

larryi86 likes this.
  2. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Aficionado (205) Virginia Nov 23, 2012

+ whatever we're up to now on Hardywood Park in Richmond, VA.

ThatCracker likes this.
  3. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Little guys:
    Steel Toe out of Minnesota
    Toppling Goliath out of Iowa
    Ale Asylum out of Wisconsin
    Half Acre out of Chitown

Big guys:
    Founders
    Green Flash
    Lagunitas
    Goose Island
    Oskar Blues

4. Northlax3

Northlax3 Savant (285) New Jersey Aug 19, 2012

Flying Fish from NJ perhaps.

Talked to a brewery rep yesterday, says they quadrupled the size of their brewery and are re-releasing some of their "exit" series beers in 6 packs. I think they'll become bigger in NJ, and I hope the rest of the US. Decent beers, but the price is right for entry level beer geeks

chimaychick, dennis3951 and njhopspop like this.
  5. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Savant (490) Indiana Mar 30, 2007

Brand new one here in Indiana called DareDevil.

Two of the guys behind it were serious award winning home-brewers and I've had their beer many times. I am really excited to see what they do.

6. JarlowMarlow

JarlowMarlow Disciple (50) Florida Jul 10, 2012

7venth Sun from Tampa Bay Area
    River North outta Denver

kpanter and luwak like this.
  7. GeoffreyM

GeoffreyM Savant (450) Pennsylvania Feb 23, 2012

Tired Hands in Ardmore, PA (Potentially bottling)
    Pizza Boy Brewing in Enola, PA

Thorpe429, tobelerone and Squidly like this.
  8. Night Shift! Really awesome and inventive stuff, and incredible berliners. Bout time someone made great fruit berliners up northeast...

MAbeerNE1 likes this.
  9. je1129

je1129 Aficionado (230) Iowa Feb 22, 2011

Toppling Goliath. Growler laws are much better now. G'nug anytime I want.

tgchief likes this.
  10. dasenebler

dasenebler Savant (470) Maine Jan 26, 2008

Oxbow. These guys know what's up.

11. mynie

mynie Advocate (705) Massachusetts Jun 22, 2004

Never heard of them. Have they distributed north of Indy?

12. mynie

How have they changed? I moved away a few years ago and haven't kept up. Can you fill growlers somewhere other than the brewery now?

13. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Really?
    What do you expect from Green Flash or Founders? a

14. je1129

je1129 Aficionado (230) Iowa Feb 22, 2011

Yes. Every bar around that has TG sells growlers. Changed around November I think.

redblacks75 likes this.
  15. luwak

Crooked Stave (CO)....within a year or two this will be a big hyped brewery i think
    Four Peaks (AZ) not my favorite brewery but they have money now and big expansion plans in progress and i have seen a taste of their new experiments...I'm impressed
    Anchorage (AK) this guy is destined for great things i think
    Maui (HI) i think we've only seen the beginning for them

16. mynie

Bad ass!

17. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Both expanding like gangbusters...and great breweries.

18. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (300) Illinois May 1, 2012

For Chicago, Pipeworks and looking forward to Off Color.

19. luwak

I hadn't heard about the Founders expansion ...and i basically don't like anything ive had from Green Flash but maybe that will change...i 'll keep my eyes open for new stuff

20. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Savant (490) Indiana Mar 30, 2007

I don't think so. Draft only around Indy at the moment.

21. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

I been digging Pensacola Bay Brewing Company out of Northern Florida.. they are new & making some really good stuff.

Jazzman27 likes this.
  22. Indeed in Minneapolis, Minnesota opened up mid to late 2012. Day Tripper and Midnight Ryder are supposed to be great. Had Old Friend which was fantastic.

MAbeerNE1 likes this.
  23. ja1022

ja1022 Aficionado (220) Indiana Sep 27, 2009

The avatar is a hint. A third for Greenbush.

Kubrickx likes this.
  24. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

I think St. Arnolds is a brewery to watch next year, when a brewery decides hey lets see whats going on with this barrel stuff and they have the room that they do, I am watching. Sure they have been out for a long time, but now are going more creative then they have ever been. With the DR series, and now Icon, then Bishops Barrel I think 2013 could be fun for them.

Also Karbach and JK. Karbach is about to explode on the scene this Monday look out

afrokaze likes this.
  25. mynie

Do they have a taproom? Their website doesn't give much information.

26. Lane1

Lane1 Aficionado (205) California Jan 10, 2011

Ritual Brewing in Redlands, CA. Awesome facility that is already pre-fitted and ready for easy expansion. Their first bottled beer is an awesome start and hopefully a good example of what they will be doing in the future.

IceAce likes this.
  27. rjknyy

rjknyy Savant (265) Georgia Nov 7, 2009

Very excited about Southbound Brewing in Savannah, they should be rolling in a couple of months.

28. beerking

beerking Aficionado (100) Illinois Mar 17, 2012

+1
    and homer will add
    Spiteful Brewing (just starting)

Kubrickx likes this.
  29. bosshop

bosshop Aficionado (220) New York Sep 13, 2012

For me it's Ithaca Beer. Can the current brewers keep Flower Power cranking? Aside from Le Bleu will any other sours or new, edgey/
    creative Excelsiors appear? Hop Stash return or another ipa? They had been so highly regarded during the previous brewers tenure (as it seemed to me), will they or can they maintain that reputation?

That said, Peeksill + new digs x cool ship = look out!!

30. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (345) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

Local to me in NJ is Carton Brewing, Atlantic Highlands, NJ and Kane Brewing in Ocean, NJ. Both relatively new breweries that put out some damn fine brew. Carton is draft only right now and Kane is mostly draft with exception of these limited 750s:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    both were excellent and I anticipate big things from these guys in the coming year.

MLeicht, ripps1, chimaychick and 2 others like this.
  31. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Blue Lobster in Hampton, NH. The brewer worked with Shaun at Hill Farmstead for a year before heading to this startup.

32. Funky Buddha is opening their brewery finally in March and will be distributing outside of their own building. That alone is worth celebrating, but I'd love to also see what J Wakefield does this year as he gets up and running in South Florida and also 7venth Sun's second year of existence.

Danny1217 and Auror like this.
  33. dsauter

dsauter Savant (395) Indiana Oct 12, 2009

Intuition in Jacksonville put out their first three canned beers in 2012. Underdark will be their first bottled beer I January or February, and I'm definitely looking forward to that one.

WebGuyMike likes this.
  34. kreg02

kreg02 Aficionado (185) Illinois Nov 19, 2012

Pipeworks from Chicago! Their CitraNinja is amazing. I typically am not crazy about barley wines but my brother and I cracked open a Santa Vs Unicorn on Xmas and it blew my mind! Gonna try their Coffee Break Abduction tonight, pretty excited!

Spiteful from Chicago is another one to watch. Havent had their GFY Stout yet but their xmas ale Jingle Balls was one of the better xmas ales I have had!

35. Pfriem Family Brewing out of Hood river Oregon. I know the owners personally and I can honestly tell you that I have never had a better beer than one I had out of Josh Pfriem's garage that he made. He won Gold and Bronze medals while working with Chuckanut Brewery in Bellingham WA. He also one them best small Brew pub of the year in 2009 I believe. They specialize in Belgian's and are starting their barrel aging program soon.

libbey and AxesandAnchors like this.
  36. ONUMello

ONUMello Advocate (575) Ohio Feb 24, 2009

They're not open yet but locally (Cleveland) I can't wait to see what Portside does. They took the route less traveled by getting the more difficult licensing for a distillery taken care of FIRST, then are moving on to beer this coming spring, rather than the other way around. Their rum is quite good, can't wait for the beer (then a restaurant to follow that too).

37. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (365) Michigan May 30, 2010

Perrin brewing in Grand Rapids. They will be canning and bottling soon and are large enough to handle the local market. I have only had a few of their offerings, but they have all been very solid beers. I can't wait to see some barrel aging, or other more experimental beers from them, also looking forward to buying their beer in the store this year!

mjshearer1, AndrewKroll and sullenbee like this.
  38. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

Founders! I'm not waiting for the first backstage announcement to get on the hype train. I expect good things from those releases this year.

39. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (370) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

After the two grand slams with the GBS and BB GBS I can't wait to see what else they will do. Did you get any of the Anniversary? I was not able to get to the release

40. Knowing what Shaun Hill has in barrels right now I will again mention Hill Farmstead;)!

JxExM, davey101, Auror and 2 others like this.