1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries to watch in 2013

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MCDub, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Wiscobrew

Wiscobrew Aficionado (210) Nevada Feb 19, 2011

I am hoping the Firestone Wild series is a hit and pretty easy to come by.
    WassailWilly likes this.
  2. i wanna say burly oak
    TinCup69 likes this.
  3. Foolproof and Bucket Brewing are both new to the Rhode Island beer scene. I am hoping one of them makes a big splash.
  4. JonHoswin

JonHoswin Aspirant (40) Tennessee Jan 6, 2013

Continue to want to checkout anything coming from Cigar City!
    VonZipper likes this.
  5. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (885) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

Tired Hands. Shit is going to hit the fan when Jean and friends release limited bottles.
    JxExM and GeoffreyM like this.
  6. toofdoc

toofdoc Aficionado (240) New Mexico Jun 28, 2011

Funky Buddha will be opening their production facility in 2013...
  7. JonHoswin

JonHoswin Aspirant (40) Tennessee Jan 6, 2013

Will checkout Tennessee Brew Works in downtown Nashville...in my home state!
    ChristianSpears likes this.
  8. Free Will in Perkasie, PA
  9. stig

stig Aficionado (155) Minnesota Jan 21, 2007

Boneyard
    libbey and draheim like this.
  10. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

Great Lakes brewing. They have two new seasonal ipas coming out.
    DStoked likes this.
  11. TheRealPour

TheRealPour Savant (445) Illinois Jan 29, 2009

Lagunitas as they start their 'East of the Miss' operations in Chicago. I've met Tony Magee and I expect some exciting and weird stuff immediately upon arrival.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  12. dianimal

dianimal Savant (420) California Apr 18, 2012

Societe Brewing Co. in San Diego. Everything I tried from them is really good, and looking forward to their sour line.
  13. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

I'll second that for sure. I had this only once...clearly not enough, not nearly. This stuff fresh is as clean as could be, that the citra hops just shine through. Would love to see this in a fresh bomber! Wow!
    ROBSTARR likes this.
  14. Breaker Brewing in PA. Their Phoebe Snow White IPA was incredible this year.
  15. Schmoozer

Schmoozer Aficionado (135) Michigan Nov 15, 2008

I hate to say it because I love them, but does anyone else this Founders creativity has gone stagnent?
  16. I don't think anyone has posted this yet and I worry it still may be to small, but Tree House Brewing in Mass is definitely one to watch in 2013. They are expanding their brewery and putting out an amazing product.
  17. dhannes

dhannes Savant (360) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

18. Agreed on Kane. Best beer coming out of NJ. I'd take the Pepsi challenge and put their Head High IPA or Overhead double against any IPA in the country (yes, even Union Jack).
    ripps1 and njhopspop like this.
  19. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (525) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

This. The clear standouts in a crowded market of new Twin Cities breweries.
  20. Mystic and Idle Hands both have very good and they're offerings have grown more and more each time I go into my local stores.
  21. cleeze

cleeze Savant (290) Maine Nov 24, 2008

If you're up here in Maine you got to be be excited about [​IMG]!!!

They are canning up a storm and so far I can't get enough of Cant Dog. I heard rumors of Sexy Choas in cans as well. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16842
    BeerKangaroo and franklinn like this.
  22. Keep watching DC Brau. They will continue to impress. That brewery is magic.....
    Crabbicuss likes this.
  23. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,040) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

Agreed a lot more good beer comes outta Utah then the masses are aware of...
  24. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,040) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

Hickory is still in the Piedmont, not even close to Eastern NC or did you mean distribution?
  25. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Fremont
    Black Raven
    Boneyard
    flexabull and SatlyMalty like this.
  26. Crooked Stave
    Elevation
    TRiNiTY
    Prost
  27. Stoutish

Stoutish Zealot (90) California Jan 1, 2013

Black Market Brewing, Temecula,CA tho established they aren't distro'ed everywhere. The have a Barrell Aged Brown on Cocoa nibs and Vanilla Beans. As soon (if) they get it into bottles, will be
    an instant hit! The Brew master there is Genius!
  28. iadler

iadler Savant (405) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

Indeed from MN. Pretty much everything I've had from them has been solid.

Plus Dangerous Man Brewing has been getting a lot of love recently. I'll have to check that out.
    nogophers likes this.
  29. jcdgoad

jcdgoad Aficionado (170) Arkansas Sep 11, 2008

+ 1 to Prairie Artisan Ales out of Oklahoma......the first four beers are off the chain good.......Shelton Brothers is distributing the beers nationally.....Saisons, Barrel Aged Beers, and Sours......mainly in 750s.......The brewer Chase Healy is one of the most tallented brewers in the Southwest.......If you see Prairie Ale, Prairie Hop or Prairie Standard.......grab it......all are awesome Saisons!!
  30. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

YES! I live in the same state(3hrs away) & I'm hoping their stuff reaches NE Ohio...though I do enjoy the weekend trips to Athens.
  31. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) Florida May 25, 2012

Funky Buddha with the new expanded brewery building hopefully open in april, can't wait to see how much more amazing brews they can pump out with that giant space of a building they have now!
  32. Davihaw

Davihaw Savant (310) Illinois Jun 19, 2012

Pipeworks in Chicago has been making some tasty brews in their 11 months! I'm excited to see where they go in 2013.
    tgchief, kreg02 and Dontcounttoday like this.
  33. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Odd Side Ales...

Both Founder's and CCB...I know I know, but both have recently gone thru big expansions, and should really be putting out alot more of their beer, so more people will find out about them.
  34. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

Looking forward to the opening of Bent Paddle in Duluth. 2 experienced brewers making a go of it with a sizable production brewery.
  35. CROOKED STAVE
    TIRED HANDS
    KANE
    BARRIER
    BONEYARD
  36. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (340) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

Flying Dog in Frederick, MD. Their Kujo is amazing.
    njhopspop likes this.
  37. Total homer post, but I'm intrigued by Kane and the Flying Fish expansion. Tired Hands is run by awesome dudes and their beer is consistently blowing me away (full disclosure: my brother works there). Excited to see what the big screaming deal is with Funky Buddha, too.
  38. st9647v3

st9647v3 Advocate (645) New Jersey Dec 28, 2011

I was in Atlanta a few weeks back and must say, some of the best beer I ever had was from the Wrecking Bar!

Also, Kane in NJ is an up-and-comer to look out for!
    njhopspop likes this.
  39. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

Word from Dan Kleban is that won't happen anytime soon. The hops they use come in quarterly (possibly the same hops they use for Lunch, which are also only available quarterly), but they may make another batch for kegging- but don't expect to see any bottles.
  40. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

Oxbow for sure- those guys have been kicking out some killer beer AND they have opened a tasting room with more open hours so it's easier to get up to Newcastle. Maine Beer Co as well- can't wait to see what collab/new brews come out from these guys.