1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries to watch in 2013

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MCDub, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Evil Twin and To Ol from Denmark!

2. With Fathead's distributing their beer now and increasing production, I'm looking forward to them having more opportunity to do collaborations and having more consistent products at the pub (in Pittsburgh).

bosshop and ColdOne like this.
  3. ^ Evil Twin is quite big already, no?

Jack's Abby is in the process of quadrupling (?) their production size, and are still flying somewhat under the radar. Also, Enlightenment Ales. They make a really unbelievably delicate biere de champagne, I predict everyone will want their beers in a year.

msween21 likes this.
  4. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (440) New York Jan 19, 2013

If Ithaca has any big plans, they're sure keeping quiet about it. They moved into their new facility in the fall, but I get the sense that the goal there is to push their main line into further distribution.

Hop Stash was a one off, sadly... and the sours were Chief's pet project. I have no confidence that they're anything but a one-beer brewery right now.

5. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (520) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Also, Rockford Brewing just outside of Grand Rapids. Just opened up in November, but they've already got some pretty solid beers under their belt; Belgian Multigrain (Belgian dark with a lot of fruity notes to it), Hoplust IPA (big citrus hop bomb, reminiscent of big West Coast IPAs), Sheehan's Irish Stout (an Irish coffee stout), and Rogue River Brown (smooth with a roasty nut flavor). They're going to be pretty solid once they really get going.

6. DStoked

DStoked Savant (330) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

This, plus a 25th Anniversary collaboration with Deschutes. Big year for GLBC!

7. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

How is black shirt anyway? I havent' had time to make it over there yet. What kind of stuff do they do?

8. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Revolution
    Perennial
    Logsdon
    Jak's Abby

9. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

Perrin Brewing in Grand Rapids is just phenomenal.

10. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (530) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Lagunitas, Epic, Crooked Stave, Pipeworks, Revolution, Elevation

11. Both in DC:

3 Stars- Their barrel aging program is getting off the ground and their first offering (Global Pandemic) was really, really good. They're expanding and are gonna have a dynamite regular line-up. Their saison is kick-ass.

Bluejacket- Greg Engert and an extensive sour program? Yes, please.

12. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

I will tentatively agree with Bluejacket. I haven't been a huge fan of many of their collaborations, but I'm hoping their focus isn't on things like weizenbocks.

The Sidewalk Saison is quite nice, and I'm looking forward to more of that. The sour program should be great as well, at least I hope. I'm bringing that more to Meg, however. Greg may or may not have good ideas, but he certainly doesn't have the type of experience that she does.

13. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company (IA)
    Stillwater Artisanal Ales (MD)
    Pretty Things Beer and Ale Project (MA)
    Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales (MI)
    Steel Toe Brewing (MN)

adamcarlson28 and tgchief like this.
  14. Agreed on the odd/ less brewed styles. Did you try Snack Attack? Really good, IMO. The honey roasted peanuts put some people off, but they made the beer for me. Hope there's still a keg hidden away somewhere.

Absolutely right, shame on me for not mentioning Meg. While Greg brings the name recognition, she's gonna be the one getting her boots dirty.

15. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

I thought Snack Attack was pretty gross. I didn't like the salty peanut character. I'm really looking forward to having some standard beers from them as opposed to collaborations that too often seem gimmicky.

16. Zbyler

Zbyler Aficionado (210) Connecticut Jan 18, 2013

Two Roads out of Stratford, CT

17. Justin_Neff

Justin_Neff Savant (255) Ohio Jun 21, 2012

I didn't read every post in the 6 pages of the thread, so I'm sure it has been mentioned several times, but I expect big things from Pipeworks in 2013. I went back to Chicago last weekend to visit family and had my first pipeworks brew. I ended up picking up 6 or 7 of them and was pretty much blown away by all of them. I'd kill to have them distributed into OH.

tgchief and Bay01 like this.
  18. Good People
    Straight to Ale
    Jester King
    Deep Ellum

19. Billy1856

Billy1856 Aficionado (145) Texas Aug 20, 2012

Karbach out of Houston TX, everything in their F.U.N. series has been amazing so far

MisterGrizz likes this.
  20. ShaneP

ShaneP Aficionado (150) Colorado Jan 26, 2013

Daredevil Brewing Co is distributed in draft only right now in central and southern Indiana. North of Indy they are in Muncie and Noblesville. Also, in greater Indy metro area and Bloomington. Locations list and current beers are on the website.

21. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (610) Virginia May 28, 2010

Haw River in NC

22. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Anchorage Brewing Company

adkieffer likes this.
  23. WinoSapien

WinoSapien Disciple (70) Texas Jun 28, 2010

No Label Brewery in Katy, TX. TEXAS BEER ! ! !

And Shiner is still creating new flavors as well...

24. Good Nature Brewing in Hamilton NY ..just celebrated their 1 year anniversary. DIPA is phenomenal

goodnaturebrew likes this.
  25. I totally agree. I love Draai Laag's nitro flemish ale and helltowns IPAs

26. La Pienture and Idle Hands IPA? Right up my alley.

And... just for that, you get 'Follow'ed, good sir!

Cheers!

27. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

Three Heads Brewing in Rochester NY. Especially paying close attention to their new Double IPA called "Too Kind".

28. Fullsteam and their barrel aging.

hardywood. I havent had a bad beer from them yet.

29. Couldn't agree more, loved the two beers of theirs that I sampled this month.

30. pvllbum

pvllbum Savant (255) Illinois Sep 4, 2007

skimmed most of this but I have to say Solemn Oath. Those guys are so popular right now and there are rumors of them bottling by the end of this year.

MIA4IPA and cnbrown313 like this.
  31. Yeah, I'm excited to see what Steel Toe comes out with next. I've enjoyed everything they've put out so far.

32. TJMac

TJMac Initiate (0) North Carolina Feb 15, 2005

+1 for Wicked Weed in Asheville

33. MCDub

MCDub Savant (310) North Carolina Dec 17, 2009

Made the trip there this weekend. Everything I had was top notch.

34. Blue Lobster
    Trillium & Castle Island in South Boston (fingers crossed they'll both bring something unique to Boston)

Thorpe429 likes this.
  35. jorrx003

jorrx003 Savant (250) Florida Apr 8, 2010

Now that I live in St Pete I'm really looking forward to Cycle Brewing opening up separate from Pegs and I enjoy what I have had from 7venth Sun up in Dunedin and look forward to them continuing to put out more delicious beers.

36. Loganyoung

Loganyoung Savant (255) Georgia Jul 16, 2011

Red hare from Marietta GA

37. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (175) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

Beat me to it. Once they are canning, I'm sure we will be hearing a lot more about them.

38. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (175) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

Beat me to it. Once they are canning, I'm sure we will be hearing a lot more about them.

39. LopeJuice

LopeJuice Savant (360) New York Aug 23, 2012

Maine Beer Co and Hill Farmstead (will be even higher in demand next year if you can believe it)
    Peekskill Brewery is one that a lot of people will start hearing about soon, especially in NYC.

40. cway2031

cway2031 Zealot (90) Illinois Jan 27, 2013

1) Pipeworks Brewing Company (Chicago, IL)

2) Pipeworks Brewing Company (Chicago, IL)

3) Pipeworks Brewing Company (Chicago, IL)

Did I mention Pipeworks? Seriously, I think they will become the next Three Floyd's style brewery.

MIA4IPA, cnbrown313 and DHS1029 like this.