1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries to watch in 2013

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MCDub, Jan 4, 2013.

1. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Dammit, I'm from Santa Cruz originally and found out about this brewery right after I returned from my last visit out there. Next time I go see my family I'll be stoked to check it out.

But living in New England as I do, I'll mostly be watching for new developments from some of my regional faves, most notably Pretty Things (always, always Pretty Things) and Notch (which has been putting out great low-gravity/session beers).

afrokaze likes this.
  2. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Pipeworks - loving the local flavor. They have yet to disappoint me

3. Anyone cover Red Peak?

mfavoino likes this.
  4. craw4d

craw4d Aficionado (125) Illinois Jul 6, 2009

Pipeworks is great - but their artwork really turns me off. It's horrible. It's not appealing - at all. It looks like they threw it together in powerpoint with some shitty font. Their beer is great, though.

Solemn Oath is solid, too - look for more good things from them...and Spiteful from Chicago, too.

5. So far I've been really disappointed in Rockford's offering. The hoplust tasted like a home brew to me. Most of the others have been just meh. The one that has really stood out to me so far is the Rogue River Brown on Nitro. Simply phenomenal. I want this brewery to succeed (since I live 5 minutes from it), but to me it is a dime a dozen at this point.

6. I'd still be sittin' on DC Brau, there's some Dynamite gettin' ready to pour from that joint (as if it isn't already) and I think I'll take my place in the "blast hole" as come mid to late-March where it will be unrecoverable!!! Timing is everything and our world is still orbital...

7. Besides the brewery I work at Rustic.
    Tired Hands
    Commons
    Societe
    Crooked Stave

afrokaze likes this.
  8. Almanac. Their Farmer's Reserve drink like RR sours. Which is to say amazing...

GreenJug, MontereyBay831 and afrokaze like this.
  9. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Agreed, just got #3 & 4 and can't wait to try em. Barrel Noir was really nice too, especially as a counterpoint to typically huge and overly sweet BA beers. Also heard their new recipes for the extra pale and honey saison are much improved.

beerme411 likes this.
  10. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Savant (255) New York Dec 12, 2010

Urban Chestnut and the whole St. Louis scene. As well as this crazy new Boston scene after ACBF last weekend.

11. bennetj17

bennetj17 Advocate (635) Arizona Oct 30, 2005

These are all excellent breweries that are moving up the list.

Toppling Goliath (IA)
    Dragoon Brewing (AZ)
    Indeed (MN)
    Prairie Ales (OK)
    Societe (CA)

BottleCaps80, EyePeeAyBryan and opwog like this.
  12. Maine Beer Co. & Tree House

13. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Savant (255) New York Dec 12, 2010

I had to laugh out loud at the alcoholism ripe in "I'm at the brewery every weekend filling multiple growlers for the upcoming week"

14. I don't know about RR sours, they are pretty good. Almanac should have released those first. I have tried their first few beers that came our way, and they were awful. I was so damn surprised how good these new ones are.

15. Tidesox28

Tidesox28 Savant (395) Maine Apr 21, 2013

I'm heading up to Newcastle on Friday. Will definitely be stopping by Oxbow.

16. Maine Beer Company
    Revival
    Foolproof

Tidesox28 likes this.