1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries who consistently or exclusively sell infected beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 77black_ships, May 9, 2013.

1. I recently tried the 3 namesake beers from “Brasserie Artisanale et Didactique du Flo” – all 3 of them were infected, 2 of them beyond the point of being drinkable. I looked through the other ratings & quite of few of them either mentioned their bottles being infected, being sour or having notes of brett.

This got me thinking about some breweries who consistently release beers who are flat, infected etc. Some of these sell because they have the reputation of being incredible when not suffering from issues like some Lost Abbey beers or arguably Fantome. Others sell based upon the appeal of being very weird like Freigeist or once again Fantome, train wreck appeal like White Birch or because they make the infection work in their advantage, arguable BFM.

There are breweries who release nothing but infected, failed, undrinkable stuff. No occasional hits, interesting stuff etc. just plain bad. Breweries like Gaverhopke, Authentique, Danny, Pakhuis etc. I am certain that many of you can name several small local breweries who fit the profile.

This is about breweries, brewpubs etc. who continuously make – often for many years – batch after batch of infected, rancid, flat or over carbonated muck. What is their logic, how do they justifies to themselves the fact that they are doing this? Do they honestly think that these beers are any good? How do they keep going, certainly no one is making repeated purchases? Some people back them up because they are small, “artisan” business and so forth but that cannot be an excuse for making something so nearly objectively terrible? This cannot be a question of preference can it be? How many people like the taste or rotting yoghurt etc?

Thoughts? Ideas? Opinions? Do you think that I am unjust, mistaken or wrong? …?

Duff27 likes this.
  2. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

There's one smallish place pretty local to me that is either way off the style, oxidized or so underwhelming that I've pretty much written them off, no matter how badly I want to like them. Somehow they keep expanding to other states. I can't say I've had anything infected from them and the brewer seems to do right by my local bottle shop, but I really don't know how they stay afloat (Shipyard effect?)

3. Pecafaced

Pecafaced Savant (290) Maryland Dec 16, 2010

I've heard a lot of people complain about Shorts Brewery having some infected batches.I have only had a few of their offerings and wasnt too impressed. I don't think what i had was infected though.

4. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Help an idiot out here.... what does an infected beer smell/taste like? I really have no idea (sort of a newb to this whole beer hobby).

Thanks!

5. no one sells exclusively infected beer. unless it's on purpose.

6. Jonnyhiggs

Jonnyhiggs Savant (260) Illinois Dec 7, 2012

find yourself a Peruvian Morning, taste it, then drain pour it.

7. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

it will be off. Imagine opening a barrel aged imperial stout and it is sour. It usually imparts tastes that are very very off. A lot of time it happens with barrel aged beers, but sometimes happens with non ba beers. Sometimes it will also be very very over carbonated. I had an moa ba stout that exploded and I literally almost lost an eye. The cork popped off when I took the cage off and it gazed my forehead and the foam exploded out leaving about 20% of the beer left to try. Then the flavor was way off.

Jonnyhiggs likes this.
  8. Stugotzo

I've heard lots of stories here on BA of things like this happening. I have a lot of Belgian 750s at home. If it weren't for these stories, I'd never think to keep my finger over the cork while taking off the cage. It's yet to happen to me, but knowing it's a possibility, I'm very cautious... so thanks!

9. Stugtozo likes this.
  10. Stugotzo

Thanks MG!

11. Cinderbike

Cinderbike Savant (280) Nevada Jan 16, 2011

We had a local brewery that was putting out batch after batch of infected beer (buttery, sour, and soapy to name a few off-flavors).

They finally went out of business about a year ago.

Duff27 likes this.
  12. I think all of Short's problems ended 3 years ago when they began pasteurizing their beers. The issues then were not necessarily infections but were mostly from simple refermentation in the bottle from sugar in the fruit-added beers. (Many of their beers were experimental and unusual, and they have cut back on brewing those.) If you try their beers again I think you'll like what you get. They have been on a roll this year while introducing new beer after new beer into distribution every 3-4 weeks, and they have all been absolutely fantastic.

13. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

I know I've just lucked out, but of the 3 bottles of Peruvian Morning I've had from my 4pk so far....all have been amazing! Not all are infected and if you are lucky to get a bottle that isn't infected, it is hands down one of the best BBA Coffee Imperial Stouts on the market. I like it better than KBS by quite a bit.

1up, Pottse, coldmeat23 and 5 others like this.
  14. you tried drinking it?

fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice....

15. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

I'll try almost any beer. If it gets finished is another story! Lol

Duesler and moju like this.
  16. From what I hear FFF has a special day once a year where they sell a BA infected stout.

Beerd_O, GFG, DmouthCaliBrewz and 5 others like this.
  17. justforrazors

justforrazors Initiate (0) Missouri Feb 16, 2013

Honestly, I kind of enjoyed the PM I drank last night. You can still taste the barrel, and the sour notes make for an interesting drink. Certainly wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either.

18. BottleCaps80

Drinking my last PM right now and it is as amazing as ever. Sorry this beer failed you. It is fucking stellar this year!

[​IMG]

19. Edited* I've never had an infected beer after 430+ beers. I must be doing it wrong.

Sirvis and DmouthCaliBrewz like this.
  20. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Advocate (645) Texas Dec 28, 2012

I have had 2 four packs this year with no problem. As a matter of fact, every Central Waters BA beer I'v had has been amazing.

21. Jonnyhiggs

Jonnyhiggs Savant (260) Illinois Dec 7, 2012

Consider yourself lucky. I unfortunately got a bad batch. Actually, the first 4-pack seemed to be fine. The second was not good and the third I just gave up on. I'm gonna just stick with CW BA stout and BBBW

22. The Lost Abbey...
    /thread

1up and dianimal like this.
  23. for what it's worth, I think only the 2012 batch of peruvian morning had reports of infection, not this years.

24. justforrazors

justforrazors Initiate (0) Missouri Feb 16, 2013

I got a 2013 that was definitely infected, I believe it was being referred to as the second wave of it that went out this year.

25. BottleCaps80

Nah....people have reported apparent infection issues with 2013 PM too. Just don't think it is as widespread as last year.

26. well that's a bummer, man. I only got two bottles, both of which I have not drank, so I guess we'll see.

27. Smw356

Smw356 Zealot (75) Ohio Jan 14, 2013

All 8 of my 2013 bottles are infected. I think I'm just done with Central Waters at this point

I'm 0/12 with this fucking beer

28. LAD

LAD Aficionado (195) Texas Apr 16, 2008

Get yourself a bottle of Fantome.

HokiesandBeer and mathieu87 like this.
  29. The worst is a brewery that gets an infected batch and puts it on tap as a Belgian/wild/sour beer and charges extra when it tastes like complete ass.

BucketBoy, Jazzpha, GFG and 1 other person like this.
  30. Stugtozo likes this.
  31. CFHMagnet

CFHMagnet Aficionado (235) Ohio May 2, 2011

The only beer I had that was infected was an Angel's Share by Lost Abbey. It was a gift and it sucked having to tell my buddy he bought me an infected beer...

32. BobZ

BobZ Advocate (580) Massachusetts Jun 24, 2009

Cantillion, Tilquin, Fonteinen, Jolly Pumpkin....

There's a long list of breweries that sell infected beers.....;)

Beerd_O, kfhene, JrGtr and 4 others like this.
  33. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

The only infected beer I've had is Dragonmead IPA. Tasted like a sour Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

34. I've had about 20 Peruvian Morning's this year and not a single bad one.

35. bobhits

bobhits Savant (465) Kentucky Oct 31, 2006

Laughing Dog I believe it is, their Dogfather I've had twice and both were gushers of sour stout. Also had some issue with arcadia and their bombers.

36. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Haha, Short's gotta love it, simple refermentation in bottle, haha. Do they say these things with a straight face?

My car isn't totaled, its shape is just pleasingly changed a bit. Those cookies aren't burnt, they are mildly color enhanced.

I have had infected beer, and I know infected beer, and trust me, the 3 different beers I had from Short's that were off were 100%, undeniably, completely, blatantly, staggeringly, and awfully infected.

Pecafaced likes this.
  37. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

The only unintentionally infected beer I've consumed was Boulevard Chocolate Ale and I thought it was damn tasty with the sourish, fruity infection. It paired well with the chocolate. 4/5.

38. GRPunk

GRPunk Advocate (600) Michigan Apr 5, 2007

There's a local place who's been selling consistently bad beer for years (I'm chalking it up to a sanitation issue or some sort of awful yeast strain). Somehow, they not only stay in business, but have increased distribution. I don't know how they survive in Grand Rapids. Maybe it's the boobsie bottle art, but can that really create repeat buyers.

OTOH, I was lucky enough to get some of the infected Two Hearted a few years back. It tasted something like a Belgian IPA.

39. atomic

atomic Savant (455) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

I've had 2 and both were sour.

40. VladTepes

VladTepes Aficionado (180) Finland Oct 18, 2012

Eh, what infected beers they have sold?