1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Breweries who consistently or exclusively sell infected beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 77black_ships, May 9, 2013.

1. eammmbeer89

eammmbeer89 Member

I have had bad luck with a bunch of different Hoppin Frogs
  2. LAD

LAD Member

O Ye of little faith. Don't quit now. #13 may be your lucky charm.
    FarmerTed and cavedave like this.
  3. DeviousSpirits

DeviousSpirits Member

Ctrl+F Kuhnhenn = not found
  4. latestart

latestart Member

I had some of those MOAs almost take my head off as well no joke, scary stuff, good beer
    caguiar and Lare453 like this.
  5. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

Buckbean?
  6. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Member

I wouldn't suggest buying a lottery ticket
    Sirvis likes this.
  7. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Member

I'm not saying that there couldn't be some infected beers nowadays, but the number of incidents must be so small that I never read about any reports about Short's anymore since they started pasteurizing. (Plus they don't brew many of the fruit beers that created most of the problems in the past.) You should take the time to read some of the various posts in the Great Lakes forum to see how well received the new Short's offerings are nowadays. I think you'll want to convince yourself to give them another try.
    Sirvis likes this.
  8. oglmcdgl

oglmcdgl Member

White birch.
    caguiar likes this.
  9. beerme411

beerme411 Member

Russian Rivers sells a bunch of infected beers and I consistently buy them. :D
    franklinn likes this.
  10. DmouthCaliBrewz

DmouthCaliBrewz Member

Thats a major bummer. I tried it at Blue Palms in LA and it was no doubt one of the most complex and incredible beers I have had to date. I sincerely hope you have the opportunity to try it again.
  11. MichPaul

MichPaul Member

Being from Michigan, I have only been into craft for about a year and a half. I drink Shorts beer on a regular basis, I mean I have like 20 or more of their beer in my fridge right now. Never have I had an infected Shorts beer. If they had infection issues, it was prior to 2012... A few of their offerings might not be to my liking either, but they make quality brew.
    Sirvis likes this.
  12. cavedave

cavedave Member

Yes, it was prior to 2012. They pasteurize now. Unlike many breweries, they used the bullshit, nonsensical, and meaningless excuse of "refermenting in the bottle" and even blamed the consumer for improper storage. Deschutes, OTOH, when they had the same problem, admitted the infections, offered refunds, took the blame, and instituted pasteurizing. Even Great Divide eventually got out front of things and fessed up and offered refunds for BA Yeti.

Short's was the least classless of any brewery with infection problems, and had more problems with rampant infections than any other brewery, and took the longest to make proper changes of any brewery I can think of.
  13. Gunch43

Gunch43 Member

Why would you tell him? You would only make him feel bad and it really had nothing to do with him. Hoping he bought you something else to make up for it?
  14. bigbelcher

bigbelcher Member

Unless it is Old World Brewing in Phoenix. Everything they make is nasty. A lot of it has to do with the equipment which was Hurricane Katrina salvage material or the other reason which is they don't care about sanitization. The health department shut them down about a year ago for a few weeks because they had rat feces in the grain area and dogs living in the brewing area but they think they make good beer.
  15. ElderPuma

ElderPuma Member

Anyone who honestly thinks CW PW is infected is an idiot. Last year sure, and it was clear as day. This year, not a chance. You all just want to be the cool kid who has the infected CW PW when it never happened this year. I suppose once one beer gets a bad rap for one thing it just suddenly becomes cool to pile on. I have had numerous 4 packs from different times purchased all over the state this year and every single one of them has been stellar. Maybe the problem is you and your lack of appreciation for amazing BA stouts.
  16. funkybottoms

funkybottoms Member

doesn't look like anyone in this thread is in Duck-Rabbit's distribution footprint...
    elgiacomo and barleywinefiend like this.
  17. MichPaul

MichPaul Member

As long as they were the "Least" classless. If they were the most classless, then I would be kinda bitter... Just playin man. Yeah that was before I came in the game, should I boycott still or just enjoy fine brew now??? :)
  18. cavedave

cavedave Member

Haha you got me, yeah meant most classless, and I love Short's brews, Cup a Joe one of my favorite beers, I don't hold grudges when it comes to fine beers.
    Mothergoose03 and MichPaul like this.
  19. PoopstainKilla

PoopstainKilla Member

Me too. Drove to Indiana to pick up some non-local beers. Was excited to find Hoppin Frog bombers. Bought their IPA and found it overly carbed, "watery" and tart. Really dissapointed. Oh well.
  20. MichPaul

MichPaul Member

I will drink my Freedom of 78 to you today then my friend!
    Cheers!
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  21. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Member

Joe Short was very apologetic and admitted to the issues (some were refermentation and I think some were infections) through a lengthy and contrite letter that he wrote on this site at the height of the brewery's problems. That goes back far enough in time so that the post and the appreciative responses from BAers in the Great Lakes forum would be in the old BA archives, but I don't think they are available to read. And I believe Joe did make an offer to replace any beers from any consumers who purchased bad beers. This is a classy brewery that makes damn good beer now, but they learned the hard way and are better for it.
    MichPaul and cavedave like this.
  22. OrificeBizarre

OrificeBizarre Member

i guess im lucky. the only infected beer i have ever had was my own homebrew. 1/2 the batch i used reused bottles...

as for peruvian. i am about to get a 4 pk and you guys are scaring the shit out of me.
  23. whatsleftofyou

whatsleftofyou Member

While there definitely were infection issues for awhile, refermentation was also clearly an issue with some of their beers. Particularly in the case of Strawberry Short's Cake there were NO off flavors, but it was very overcarbonated which is what I would expect from a refermentation.

About a year ago I bought a sixer of Bellaire Brown that was a complete diacetyl bomb. I e-mailed them about it and they offered to send me a gift cert to the pub or a check as a refund, without me asking for one. I chose the gift cert and received one for a few dollars more than what I paid for the sixer, along with some stickers and repeated apologies. That's not what I would call a classless reponse. They could have easily just told me I was wrong, or not responded at all.
  24. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Member

25. HopHeadHerman

HopHeadHerman Member

It definitely must have been from multiple years ago because the last time I remember having any type of QC issue is the stout recall of 2009, right when we first started bottling.

We took (and still take) a lot of chances and learned from our mistakes. At the height of our issues, we really didn't even have a QC department, flying by on the seat of our pants (or shorts) for that matter.

I like to think we care about our beer and customers just as much as any other brewery. If you ever have an issue with our brews please email us and we'll most certainly take care of you.

I really enjoy posting new release threads in the Great Lakes forum--been doing it for a year now and haven't had one person mention infections or any other problems other than perhaps they didn't care for it.

And for what it's worth, our brewpub holds a score of 98 on BA. I urge you to come visit us sometime--and if I'm around I'll buy you your first two beers.
  26. Stinkypuss

Stinkypuss Member

I had an infected case of Troegs nugget nectar, and that was after two good cases. It smelled and tasted like hot garbage and hops.
  27. wd09601

wd09601 Member

Was excited to crack open a Hoppin Frog Silk Porter my friend got for my birthday and it was super carbonated and tangy. Got one sip down and poured it out. I emailed the guy from Hoppin Frog to let them know and he wasn't too helpful and blamed it on the temperature the store kept it.
  28. VladTepes

VladTepes Member

29. Sirvis

Sirvis Member

I was just there last week and all the brews served were great. Never had anything less than good from Shorts in the past 2 years that I lived in MI.
  30. cavedave

cavedave Member

If I didn't love your beers so much I wouldn't have traded for enough of them to have gotten so much bad beer. I continue to drink your beer knowing you guys now pasteurize, and wish I could get it without trading.

As a homebrewer about to turn pro myself nothing scares me so much as thinking about the consequences to a brewery of having to deal with rampant infection. Where is it? Can it be cleaned? Two simple questions that could end up occupying all your time for a long period, and shutting down production completely. For a homebrewer it might mean getting new buckets and hoses, etc., easy, quick, and cheap. That sort of result for a production brewery could mean major financial losses and loss of confidence by the public.

I love that you guys push the envelope, and I plan to do the same when I have the chance. But seriously, refermenting in the bottle due to poor customer storage? Sounds like you didn't have a PR department either. Glad you guys have stepped up your game, you are one of the brewers that makes guys like me want to take that jump knowing there are new things under the sun, and the best is yet to come. Cheers!
  31. Flashy

Flashy Member

The other brewery in Gettysburg, PA- which someone on this website once described as a "vomitorium"- the owner was a nice guy who used to tell you how he fell in love with great beer while traveling the world- and his stuff was infected. And a local brewer in VT whose draft stuff is awesome, but I wouldn't buy one of his bottles if there was no other beer left on the planet.
  32. justforrazors

justforrazors Member

Which local brewer would that be?
  33. videofrog

videofrog Member

See Ranger Creek Small Batch Series for a classic example of poor QC and how NOT to do it:

http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...bon-barrels-as-small-batch-series-no-4.56440/

TL,DR: Ranger Creek denied reports of infection and claimed it was just the French Oak barrel flavor that people weren't used to. Infection was probably due to volunteers hand bottling.

Finally tried my Small Batch No. 3: English Barleywine and carb was super high with significant funk and sour.
    galvetraz likes this.
  34. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Member

Hmmm, I might change my name to cavedave. What days are you there? ;)
  35. frazbri

frazbri Member

Yes, my name is cavedave and I'll be there saturday.
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  36. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Member

You

You haven't lucked out at all. As you can see from the forums this year, most people's PM has been as good as ever. Sure, last year it was pretty widespread but this year it's pretty isolated. To say CW as a brewery has infection problems because of this in entirely unfair IMO.
  37. MusicaleMike

MusicaleMike Member

Same here.
  38. henskejk

henskejk Member

I had a bottle of Black Hops from Blue Hills brewery that was infected, tasted like a dark sour. Turns out both my friend and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit though, so I guess it worked out alright and she even considered trying to find other ones from the same batch in the hopes that they were sour as well.
  39. Smw356

Smw356 Member

It definitely happened this year. Out of my 3 4 packs, 8 bottles were infected , these were all definitely sour, the other however appears to be fine (I've only sampled one bottle though).

When its on its definitely an amazing beer, but they need to work on their QC (maybe plating before releasing etc)
  40. YeastBreeder

YeastBreeder Member

Those guys at Anchorage Brewing Company have a serious Brett infection. I swear that almost everything they produce tastes like it has Brett in it.