1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries who consistently or exclusively sell infected beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 77black_ships, May 9, 2013.

1. CFHMagnet

CFHMagnet Aficionado (235) Ohio May 2, 2011

No way, not like that. As much as people call me a beer snob, he has that much more knowledge over me, and he always wants to know what I've had and how it was... and I'm no liar.

I honestly hope I get to try it again as well.
  2. You mean PTE as a matter of fact I'm drinking one infected one right now and I think I need four more infected bottles but they limit it to only two:)
  3. jcambier

jcambier Disciple (70) Virginia Jan 5, 2008

Infections, whether on purpose or not, are rampant in the beer world. A lot of them, unfortunately, come from Belgium, the country from which I tasted the best beers and some of the worst ones! Because it says Belgium on the label, everything goes. And the others come from breweries who brew "Belgium style" beers where the playing with infectious bacteria such as the well known Brett, often results in bad beers period.
  4. Just to be exact, Brett is wild yeast, not bacteria.
  5. I haven't purchased an infected beer in a good 5-7 years. But I've stopped purchasing beers at random or just because I have never had it before too.
  6. TheGoof

TheGoof Savant (285) Michigan Apr 10, 2013

I clicked on this thread to see if anyone had said anything about Short's. I used to get bad beers from them occasionally (in bottles and on draft at various bars), but when they're good they're great, so it's worth the risk. Now that I think about it, it's probably been a couple years since I've had a clearly infected Short's beer (definitely more recent than 3 years, but probably a little over 2... it was Pistachio Cream Ale, I HATED it and couldn't figure out why so many people loved it... then I learned what diacytyl tastes like, tried a different batch, and liked Pistachio). I've had some bad Huma a few times before too, but I think that was years ago. It's nice to know they've corrected whatever problems they had in the past.
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  7. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

8. TheGoof

TheGoof Savant (285) Michigan Apr 10, 2013

Hahaha, I am pretty sure I know exactly who you are talking about. I've knocked back their DIPA twice and had to hop it down the drain both times.
    GRPunk likes this.
  9. A lot of the truly bad stuff doesn't even get exported. I think the reason even more than brewers hiding behind the "Belgium label" is that in Belgium things are pretty relaxed about brewing regulations. You want to sell your home brew on the market, something which you literally made in your kitchen - why not? The system has its advantages - I rather live with things like that than with a different system.

Infections are indeed rampant - many of them more minor or perhaps even passable with people more used to pale lagers etc. I was even more curious about breweries who sell products so horribly tasting that it is almost hard to believe that a human might actually enjoy this. This is less common - I hope.
  10. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (320) Michigan May 30, 2010

The cherry porter the last 2 years has had an off flavor, wouldnt call it an infection, but definitely not right. I sent a bottle back two years ago, and received a gift certificate, but no further comments on the bottle. I had liked it in the past, and the first bottle this year was ok, but after that it was a little sour and other flavors seemed muted. Maybe a little oxidation and a little infection?.. I dont know. I have had others including anniversary and goodnight bodacious that were all very good, so it is definitely not a problem with all their beer.

On a side note, what is up with the color of anniversary this year?, seems so pedestrian compared to the dramatic red-purple that it normally is, still very tasty though.
  11. In HopHeadHerman's post in the Great Lakes forum that announced the release of the 2013 Anniversary Ale he replied that the quality of the blood oranges that were available for brewing this year caused a less-than-normal red color to the beer.
  12. jbck109

i have a couple black cherry porters you can have Paul, maybe you can tell me what's wrong with them.lol
  13. jbck109

Thank you! Missed that one.
  14. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Dude I would probably drink em! :) Well, I do remember how excited I was for a Black Cherry Porter and then was quite let down by that one. But when I had them, they were definitely not infected. Your's were?
  15. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Victory Headwaters and Summer Love, I feel, have bad a pretty lousy track record. Both, I've purchased at least 2 sixes of that we're undrinkable and fresh
  16. Really? I drink both fairly regularly and have never gotten an infected one.
  17. I couldn't agree more. I've had bombers of Dogfather and AlphaDog that popped like bottles of champagne.
  18. To jump to Lost Abbey's defense, they have really turned their quality control issues around. Their issues with infection and flat beers really stopped in late 2010/early 2011.

Edit: Apparently I missed the stuff about the 2012 Deliverance and Angel's Share . . .
  19. Ha, I am. Wtf happened last year? Why were so many of their beers infected?
  20. Had the same thought. Your friend didn't buy you infected beer, he bought you beer which the brewery messed up and allowed to become infected.

The unsaid rules of beer trading I will never understand.
  21. Docrock

Docrock Savant (435) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

I guess I am an idiot then. First 4 pack no problems, second and third a total of 5 bottles were infected. I guess the folks at Central Waters are Idiots then too since they started recallling some from Chicagoland stores due to concerns...
  22. either they're total shit at sanitation or they've got some bugs breeding like crazy in the brewery. after last year's Rabid Duck debacle, i was told they replaced all the lines, but every beer i've had since then (and these are seasonals brewed after the "fix," definitely not old stock) has also been infected, so something's wrong down there.
  23. Tschnab

Tschnab Savant (375) New York Aug 21, 2010

I feel like the Butternuts lineup is often infected at least in my experience.
  24. jbck109

Not positive, they were a little tart and the other flavors seemed oddly muted, maybe slightly cardboard. It doesent taste like any infection that I have had but also not like just oxidation. Could be a combo, or something totally
    different :confused:. Next time we have some beers at Rons I will bring some with and try to get some opinions. Now they have been around for a while and could have changed a bit, they have been refrigerated since purchase though.
  25. ThirstyFace

No lie, and I too drink them regularly
  26. Bummer, you're the first person I've heard say that.
  27. ThirstyFace

I know, I've brought this up many times and no one is ever of the same experience