1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries With Exceptional Attitude

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cbhuffman, May 2, 2014.

1. cbhuffman

cbhuffman Aficionado (125) Indiana Dec 28, 2010

Thinking about the thread where we discussed the bad expereinces we have had at breweries....which ones go above and beyond to make sure your experience is a memorable one?

For me...

Green Man
    Hi-Wire
    Flat 12
    Daredevil
    Fountain Square
    Crown
    Bloomington Brewing

All of these places have been super! Some of them I have visited more than a few times and each time they have been friendly and over the top to make sure the customer is pleased with their experience and will return.

ivorycannon likes this.
  2. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Totally agree on Daredevil (see profile pic) and Flat 12.

3. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Savant (455) Vermont Apr 6, 2013

Cape May Brewing Co. in NJ has a great feel and very friendly employees.

4. Really had a nice experience at Bear Republic's brewpub in February 2013. I've also had great customer service experiences with Societe and Unibroue, both pretty recently.

5. Sparty93

Sparty93 Disciple (70) Michigan Aug 29, 2013

4 Hands Brewing in St. Louis. Extremely welcoming and happy to talk to visitors about their beers.

6. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Dan Hitchcock and all the staff at Rushing Duck are the finest, most caring and sharing folks you ever will meet, in the brewing world, or out. Their beer is just a reflection of this wildly artistic, user friendly, and delicious attitude that makes fans of all who visit the Brewery. Gotta admit my favorite thing to do in the world of beer is to hoist a couple with Dan and talk beer with him.

7. NEBCO...

growlers are at cost, or just about at cost. $4.

lots of beers for $5/ mini. seahag, pils, scrum and a few others they could have charged more for but did not because they're awesome.

great people and always nice. unless you're not nice. lol.

and always healthy samples.

8. T-Bird

T-Bird Zealot (80) Ohio Aug 26, 2013

Flat 12 for me too.

9. cavedave

Peekskill Brewery is designed from the ground up by beer geeks, for beer geeks, and is just filled with enthusiasm for the wonders that are possible to brew with the skills and resources of masters coupled with a customer base of thirsty and appreciative beer geeks. Where else you gonna go where one of the brewers sees you through the window of the fermenter room and rushes out into the pub all excited for you to try one of their new beers?

Three Floyds sounds like the spoiled and arrogant asshole we all know and avoid even when he invites you to a party. Peekskill is that true friend we all admire and love to hang out with any time we can, and always come away feeling how lucky we are for that friendship.

10. HighWine

HighWine Savant (325) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

When undercover cops tried to get Lagunitas employees to sell them drugs, the employees gave them a free joint. They still got busted, but man, talk about going above and beyond for the customer!

We all benefit, too, because the incident led to the creation of beers like Censored, Undercover Shutdown, and Waldo's Special Ale!

11. I gotta get out there this summer. I had their IPA last summer in Cape May and thought it was solid. I've been following them on Facebook and it looks like they are doing great things. Summer visit to the brewery and tasting room for sure.....maybe even Memorial Day weekend!

For me, Victory has always had exceptional customer service.....as has Sly Fox.

12. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

I'm really glad this is the first reply, because everybody needs to see this.

13. I really did get the feeling that Peekskill cares when I was there. I told the bartender I was from out of town, and he asked me about where I was from, and local beer from Rochester, etc. Just talked for a few hours over beers. Just real friendly people there. Amazing beer to boot.

14. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Bells gets my vote.

A few years ago, before they were sold where I lived, I was ecstatic to buy Two Hearted on a cross country move for school. When I got home, I excitedly shared it with my dad, who took a sip before me and went "this is awful - why do you like this?" I took a sip and realized he was right...it was like drinking pineapple juice with a bunch of lemon juice mixed in. I posted here to see if anyone else had ever had that, which led to an email from their head of QC, which led to the discovery that a change in the manufacturing line had caused an infection. I was able to swap the bottles out months later when I made the drive again, and in the meantime, a couple of pint glasses magically appeared on my door.

All from simply posting on a forum. That's customer service!

meanmutt, brandon911 and cavedave like this.
  15. That I've seen here Sierra Nevada Bill comes on and actually talks to people which is pretty awsome. I've seen a clown shoes rep on as well talking about their beer. In Arizona we have a Facebook group that seems like just about every craft drinker has joined some of our top brewers, owners, and reps come in shoot the Shit and just discuss beer like Jonathan Burford from Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co and Matt Weber from Sleepy Dog awsome people in Az

16. Here's the thing with this "customer is king" mentality. You are trading. Once you've received what you've paid for, you are owed nothing.

17. The fundamental flaw with that mindset is that is in the best interest of an entity providing a service or goods to do their best to secure your future patronage. This is especially true when we're talking about consumable goods. A good customer experience drastically increases the likelihood of future sales to that same customer. That's not anecdotal; there is plenty of data to back up that reality.

18. Business is about money. The business has to go beyond that to keep the money flowing. They should also be "trading" you respect, and a pleasurable experience and in return getting your continued patronage. If everything stops at the exchange of goods, that's not a good business model and will eventually catch up to them.

19. A BIG +1 to Sly Fox. I have had nothing but great experiences from the staff at Sly Fox. I got into several conversations with Brian Riley (the head brewer) and peppered him with tons of technical brewing questions and he answered every one (and volunteered other information to boot!).

I have even had many pleasant conversations with the patriarch (Dr. Pete) and the matriarch of the Giannopoulos family.

Cheers to the folks of Sly Fox!

20. JMS1512

JMS1512 Advocate (550) New Jersey Feb 18, 2013

I'd put Ommegang on the list.

TheFactoryEatery and cheers55 like this.
  21. TheFlern

TheFlern Savant (385) Idaho May 9, 2009

Deschutes, Odell, Salmon River, Woodland Empire, and Lost Abbey

22. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Short's is at the top of a long list.

23. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Savant (300) New Jersey Oct 29, 2011

This has nothing to do with customer service, but at the Atlantic City Beer Festival the guys at Beach Haus, who are opening a new location soon, were just so happy to serve everybody and so happy to be brewers and opening their own place that you couldn't help but want them to succeed.

That type of attitude is what I want out of all small brewers.

CassinoNorth likes this.
  24. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I find that apparently, compared to many, I'm as unmoved by good attitudes as by bad attitudes. I just like beer and I'd buy it online or from robots or from some young, good-looking guy who thinks he's better than me.

Beer, I say. Beer.

25. All the empoylees at Hill Farmstead have been very nice and friendly. Considering how long they have to stand on there feet and make everyone happy by filling growlers and getting bottles.
    When I was in high school I worked at my local K-Mart as a cashier and I hated when my line got longer than 3 or 4 people deep. I can't imagine getting to work and the line is already 50 people deep and the brewery doesn't even open for another half hour. Cheers to them!!

26. jj139

jj139 Aficionado (170) California Nov 25, 2013

Very friendly people at Heretic, Working Man, and Carneros Breweries.

After spending some time tasting with friends at Eight Bridges we ended up talking with George, the owner, for about 20 minutes. He showed us the different roasts/types of malt they use and even ended up bringing out some
    hops (I forget which variety) that they would be using for us to check out. Super cool guy. Their beer is pretty damn good too.

27. BlumBeer

BlumBeer Savant (265) Florida May 17, 2012

The way that Cigar City handeled the Hunnaphu Day fiasco from this year was first class in my book...

johnyb likes this.
  28. rollom

rollom Advocate (560) New York Jan 22, 2011

Rode to bear mountain the weekend before last, and then headed to Peekskill to take the train back. I've tried a lot of their beers in NYC and love them, but never been to the brewery. Unfortunately we were running a bit late, so had to head straight to the train (I was already going to be late for dinner with the in-laws). Gutted as I was literally within touching distance of the place - rode right past it. Definitely next time. From the outside at least, the place looked cool. What is their food like? Cos we did a 30 second stop at the bakery across the street and let's just say the quality was a little underwhelming. If Peekskill has solid food, will give me additional leverage next time.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  29. tvoss99

tvoss99 Aficionado (185) Wisconsin Feb 13, 2014

Haven't been to as many as some of you I'm sure, especially bigger name ones, but I've had rather good experiences at Leinenkugel's, Lakefront (Milwaukee), Badger State (Green Bay).

ParkbrauFan likes this.
  30. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

The people at Wicked Weed were really friendly when I was there.

youngac likes this.
  31. Cantillon, 3 Fonteinen and Tilquin, they have had hugely beneficial monetary offers for export possibilities and they turned them all down. They want to keep their traditions allow, sell the beers affordably to locals and stay true to their principles. I think that they deserve the respect for refusing a lot of money just to stay true to what they believe in. They never did it to be popular, be loved or anything like that. They made unpopular decision for honest and respectable reasons. Can you honestly say that you would have turned down at the very, very least hundreds of thousands of dollars just to stay true to yourself?

caeruleus, DWheeler379, volta and 2 others like this.
  32. cavedave

Muuuuuch better food than the old location, glad to say. 5 star? No.

rollom likes this.
  33. All of the breweries in Minnesota are pretty nice and cool. Even Surly!!

leezy and dthompson0279 like this.
  34. Karibourgeois

Karibourgeois Savant (340) Texas Jul 28, 2013

Adelbert's and Karbach in TX are both very welcoming. Had great times at tastings at both places.

35. I was at Odell back in October and those guys were awesome. Took the time to answer any questions that we had and really gave us a great experience. And the beer was super awesome!

DWheeler379 and udubdawg like this.

36. I thought the food was pretty tasty, your typical brewpub sort of food, but a little higher end. I had a really good burger. The food is pretty expensive, though.

zid and rollom like this.
  37. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (600) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Let's see:
    Bells - sent me a bunch of swag for free when I e-mailed them about old beer on shelves.
    Stone - Great Beer and they have their own farms.
    Funky Buddha Lounge - Awesome staff, awesome beer, awesome place.
    Due South - See Funky Buddha
    Fat Heads - Huge sandwiches, like HUGE, great beer and bartenders willing to BS about them.
    Rapp - Love the location, and somehow they have like 20 styles on tap. Super Friendly too.
    Peg's Cantina - Really nice bartender when I went, like above and beyond.
    Pair O' Dice - Beer is not amazing, but the staff was.
    Big Storm - Takes the cake for small brewery charm and beer quality. Funky Buddha is close, but this place has a working man vibe that I love. One of the coolest brewer/bartenders I've met too.

38. WarEagleJeep

WarEagleJeep Savant (290) Alabama Jul 21, 2013

I will say Crank Arm Brewing in Raleigh was super cool. We actually walked in last year while they were still building it. They could have said "we're not open" but they let us in and gave us a quick mini tour. They said when they should be open and gave us some stickers. Never even had their beer but plan to get some next time I'm in town.

c2mcclel and DWheeler379 like this.
  39. beerwolf72

beerwolf72 Savant (345) Ohio Aug 12, 2006

Ommegang, Gritty McDuffs,Schafly, Yazoo, and Three Floyd's were all excellent experiences. Yazoo was so generous, I needed a nap after the tour.