1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries with only one beer to your likening

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bellce0, Jan 2, 2013.

1. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Southern Tier Choklat.
  2. This. Totally forgot about them.
  3. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Bavik. All of their beers are horrendous supermarket swill and the rare few "special" beers that they do have (mostly their Petrus series) ranges from terrible to somewhat okay.

And then, they're Petrus Aged Pale. It doesn't as much stand head and shoulders above the others as it does multiple body heights. Of course, it's also the hardest to find. I'd give a fair nod to the Oud Bruin, but Aged Pale is just a perfect introductory sour beer that I'd be happy to let anyone try who claims not to like sour beers.
    7clutch and cavedave like this.
  4. bound4er

bound4er Savant (435) Wisconsin Jul 4, 2007

Bell's Two Hearted is the only beer of their's that I buy consistently. Kalamazoo Stout a couple times per year. Not much of anything else including Hopslam which used to be a case purchase for me.
  5. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

My sentiments exactly!
  6. Have you not had Expedition?
    bryanole27 likes this.
  7. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

For me it's either.....

New Glarus. Love Staghorn but haven't had a Dancing Man yet.
    Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout. Really not impressed with their beers.
  8. Yeah, Krampus is just... weird. Cool bottle though.
  9. An honest man. We have bought a 6 of that, and some pints of some others. I don't drink a lot of stouts or barrel aged beers, so those are not on my list.

I really do love fresh Red's Rye. That one I like a lot.
    commis likes this.
  10. bound4er

bound4er Savant (435) Wisconsin Jul 4, 2007

I've had it and hated it so much I actually returned the 5 unopened bottles. Tasted like weedy soy sauce to me.
  11. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

Yup. Not to say their beers all suck or anything, but I'm just not a fan. I will say that I did love Harvest, but aside from that and All day it's all just meh. Centennial is meh, porter is meh, Dirty Bastard is poor, the stouts are all on my shit-list... the backstage stuff is nothing I'd ever have twice aside from Boltcutter. I might have another glass of that if someone offered it to me I suppose. I'm well aware that I am in the vast minority here, the stuff just doesn't impress me much.
    EDIT: and Devil Dancer... Is quite possibly the most foul thing I've ever tasted. Bletch!
  12. Have you tried Cascazilla?
    cavedave likes this.
  13. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

Lmao.. Yea.. Founders stuff is awful. What in the world? Their porter IMO is one of the top 2 in the world. Dirty bastard is one of the best tasting flagship brews from anyone in the world and backwoods is even better. KBS and CBS(the hype speaks for itself). Harvest ale is another that's top shelf for harvest IPAs. Red's Rye Is fantastic. Their imperial stout is one of the best stouts I've ever had. Double trouble is another. Even their lesser brews like the pale ale, all day ipa, devil dancer, etc is better than most breweries best offerings. I mean when curmudgeon is your 9th best year in and year out offering you are doing something right. I can honestly say I've never had anything bad from founders and I've had about all of them. For me founders is in the very top tier of craft brewers and for me that top tier is a very smal tier. But hey, kbs sucks lol.
    SDG1070 and deuce9259 like this.
  14. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

I can't say Southern Tier is a one hit wonder for me though their 2x Stout is delicious. I like 5 or 6 of their brews a lot. The big stout(black water series) I believe they call it are all great. Choklat, Mokah, oat, jahva, etc. unearthly was good too. I can't say founders either lol as I love everything about founders. Maybe my favorite brewery. Actually I can't really picture any craft beer geek even thinking founders in this topic of post let alone actually posting them lol. But anyway, 1 brewer with 1 beer is hard as I can't think of one with just one. Maybe Samuel Adams with their Stony brook red barrel collection. I really enjoyed it and I can't remember the last time I said that about a brew from Sam Adams. I'm to the point with them that I don't even consider. Rogue is another brewery I like but it's only based on Shakespeare oatmeal stout, chocolate stout, and hazelnut brown nectar. How about duvel with the duvel? I know they have some other good offerings but I can't get them. The other few duvel products I've had haven't been great, but again there is a what if. Affligem?? I loved their noel thing but I had another brew and it was ridiculously.. Well not great. Matt brewing co definitely for me with the pumpkin ale they have. It's actually not that bad. But I've had other brews from saranac that were poured out.
  15. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Don't think I'm similar to any brewery at all.
    LambicKing and Bluecane like this.
  16. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I enjoy most, so no
    SDG1070 likes this.
  17. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Nothin wrong with #9. It's a tastey solid brew.
  18. Palo Santo Marron as others have said is damn good. And Bitches Brew is a must try if you've never had it. I happen to love a lot of the DFH brews (Burton Baton, WWS, Olde School, 75, 90 and 120 minute) but I know there is a DFH haters out there.
  19. Brenden

Brenden Champion (785) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

For the most part, you people are pissing me off.;)
    ditka311, FUNKPhD and deuce9259 like this.
  20. Sh*t!!! I missed that collaboration beer!!! :mad:
  21. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (480) California Aug 13, 2011

said no one ever.
    litheum94 and Brew33 like this.
  22. Deltoro

Deltoro Savant (260) Florida Sep 15, 2012

Magic Hat is solid and I gotta say I enjoyed the DIPA very much.
  23. I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink at Colorado Belle.
  24. Orval
    kcillini77 likes this.
  25. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

Green Flash - don't care for anything of theirs outside of Hophead Red (haven't had Silva)

Portsmouth - I think I've only had 4, but all besides Kate were almost drainpours

26. I used to think that until I tried their Indian Brown Ale. Truly amazing beer. Palo Santo is amazing as well. I love their Chicory Stout too!

27. Someone didn't get a bottle of Luscious!

28. I love their Maudite.

I find La Fin Du Monde to be pretty overrated. Its tasty and a really solid brew, but it hardly inspires awe.

29. I dig their Wildeman Farmhouse IPA. Spicy funk mixed with orangey hops. Yum.

30. Uh, calling Sculpin average is INSANE. Its by far the most unique purist styled IPA Ive ever tasted.

31. Ive only had Dorado on tap, but i loved it. A little hot though, in a good way
  32. kcillini77

kcillini77 Savant (285) Kansas Nov 26, 2004

Trumer
    Rau71 and hopfenunmaltz like this.
  33. sirsteve42

sirsteve42 Advocate (545) New York Jan 15, 2009

Its unfortunate that The Alchemist cannot produce the other 25 or so unbelievable beers anymore...
  34. ripps1

ripps1 Savant (375) New Jersey Aug 28, 2012

Taste is subjective. If he isn't a big fan of Founders so be it. They make a lot of top quality beers but perhaps they are not to his likings. That is the great thing about enjoying craft beer, its open to the interpretation of your palate. Everyone's is different. There is no real right or wrong.
  35. You must be drunk.

Thats a joke, I know taste is all relative. But still, FD makes some great beers.
  36. Popp24

Popp24 Savant (320) California Nov 5, 2010

Yeah I had a bomber of it once when it was released recently so it was fresh. It wasn't bad by any means just was expecting more I guess. May need to give it another try.
  37. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Its better than the canned Don Laughlins Lite beer. Jesus that beer was horrid. I didnt even want to waste the review or adding to BA.

Cheers!
  38. or This One Goes To 11
  39. mani

mani Savant (295) New Jersey Jun 16, 2012

So much better when it was Troy Pub. I really enjoyed their beers better
  40. Steven's Point Brewery has Cascade Pale Ale. It's the only offering I buy from them.