1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries with only one beer to your likening

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bellce0, Jan 2, 2013.

1. nberna19

nberna19 Aspirant (25) Colorado Jul 2, 2012

Being from the south I'd have to say Abita Turbodog. Everything else from them is mediocre at best

2. RyFikes

RyFikes Savant (280) New York Jan 3, 2013

Perhaps its my affinity for doppelbocks and strong ales, but I love Long Trail Double Bag. The best six pack that you can get for under $8 in my opinion. There is nothing special or standout about any other beer Long Trail makes.

3. Popp24

Popp24 Savant (330) California Nov 5, 2010

Palate Wrecker and their Imperial IPA are very good as well.

4. You didnt even mention Founders Breakfast Stout, one of the most widely available/highly acclaimed beers of this forum.

All day is good but might not even be top 10 best beers I've personally had from founders.

5. I have disliked every beer from North Coast except Acme IPA , loved it , the rest I just didnt enjoy

6. phildo7pt9

phildo7pt9 Zealot (85) California May 1, 2011

Southern Tier for me as well. But the beer that I adore the most is their Pumking. One of my favs ever!

7. For me it's bootleggers. Knuckle sandwich is a great beer but the rest of their line up is just kinda whatever...their black Phoenix is pretty good but that's really about it IMO.

8. phildo7pt9

phildo7pt9 Zealot (85) California May 1, 2011

For anyone who thinks Founders is awful should really stick to the Bud Lights and the Coors Lights of the world... Founders is so great!

9. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (455) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2011

Duck Rabbit. Baltic Porter is outstanding, everything else I've tried is way below average

10. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

There are a few beers that I haven't had from them that look decent, but I passed them over simply because their beers never did much. Last thing I had was Double Dog and it was very below average DIPA.

11. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (540) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Magic hat HiPA is the only beer I have ever really liked from them. The awful part is its only avalible in variety packs around here...

12. To each his own. I suppose im a bit of a FD fan boy, I can admit it.

13. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Old Rasputin for me, though I haven't had that 2009 Brandy Old Stock or whatever..

14. Flying Dog. Never had anything that knocked me out until Underdog Atlantic Lager (in cans), which is now my go-to daytime session jam. Love it!

HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  15. Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic.

...and since it only comes in mixed 12 packs, I simply drain pour the other 10 beers. ;-)

16. Well, thats a huge fucking waste.

17. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (540) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

You need to find a store with a pick six pack man!

18. Shipyard. I dig the Smashed Blueberry, don't care for anything else.

19. I agree they dont have a lot, but if you havent had the Krampus or the Creme Brulee theyre pretty good

20. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

River Horse. their regular line up is good but the oatmeal milk stout is the only one I look forward to every year.

21. Docer

Docer Savant (415) Washington Nov 20, 2008

Haven't had much from 21st Amendment, but so far I only really dig their back in black CDA. Have their saison in the fridge now... hoping it will make #2

22. MarkJBurch

MarkJBurch Savant (485) New York Jun 24, 2012

Haven't tried everything but you should definitely give Oat a try. 2X IPA is another good one.

23. I've had both of them. 2x is solid but it's got nothing on some of the other DIPA's around. Oat is forgettable. Krampus is King! Ha ha.

24. Considering how much I love Milk Stout, Left Hand's other stuff drastically falls off.

DFH, ST & Green Flash being on here is ludicrous.

25. MarkJBurch

MarkJBurch Savant (485) New York Jun 24, 2012

Ever try Three Heads Brewing out of Rochester, NY? Not sure if they've made it to Rhode Island, but I know they collaborated with Clown Shoes on a beer, who are somewhere out of Massachusetts. Anyway, they just re-released Ontario Coast IPA, a Belgian yeast IPA, very very good. They're also releasing a double IPA next weekend, very excited about it. If you haven't had them, give them a try. If you have had, drink more.

26. adamette

adamette Advocate (560) Ohio Aug 23, 2007

Orval.

Until I am able to try more of their beer, Columbus Brewing Company's IPA is the first one that I would have if I visited there (and I loved it!).

27. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (405) California Nov 2, 2012

I sat down at the bruery about a month ago and was disappointed with their 22 beers I sampled. Granted I have not tried all their stuff but after that sampling I'm pretty sure I got a good representation of what they are about. So for me it's the bruery with black tuesday being their only great beer.

28. blatchy

blatchy Aficionado (100) New York May 3, 2010

I liked their Ontario Coast a lot before. I love it now. They filtered it this time and I think the yeast offers much more balance to the flavor. It was a bit overpowering for me in the first version. It's a fine beer.

Wait until you taste Too Kind. I don't know if it's an everyday drinker like The Kind (because it is a double after all), but I think in some ways it's even better than its predecessor.

29. The name doesn't ring a bell and looking at the labels, nothing sparks any memories. I will have to keep an eye out for them. I feel like there are probably some kick ass beers in New York that I am missing. I dig the shit from the city, Brooklyn and Sixpoint, but NY is a big place....

Thanks for the heads up!

30. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

So does the Backwoods Bastard, and the Hopslam, and Harvest Wet Hop Ale, FBS. :)

31. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (675) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

IMO, I would hardly call fresh Sculpin and Victory at Sea average...but that's just me.

32. nc41

With regards to Ballast Point I love Knuckle Sandwich as well, I usually pass on Sculpin as well. I'd rather drink Caldera if I'm looking for an everyday IPA.

33. You mean Bootleggers?

34. nc41

My bad i was looking at the post above in regards to KS. But I like the DD, and usually pass on Sculpin, but I think all their brews are slightly over priced.

35. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Heh.

I haven't had every one of any brewery's beers, but my best answer atm is Terrapin. I LOVE Wake n' Bake, and the other things I've had from them have been just okay.

36. nc41

I agree about Terrapin, I used to drink a lot of their Rye Pale Ale, don't like the side car brews either. W&B is outstanding.

37. While I personally disagree that there isn't anything else stand out by Long Trail (there Pale Ale is awesome and their Coffee Porter is phenomenal in my opinion), I completely agree on the awesomeness of Double Bag. That is my favorite beer to tailgate with. I get the buzz of a six pack and only have to pee like a man that's drank a couple of beers. Lovely.

Also, have you had Triple Bag? It's bad ass.

cavedave likes this.
  38. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (525) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Not a big IPA fan so I like their spirit of adventure & discovery with their other offerings. Having said that the Chicory Stout has been my only repeat purchase save for singles of Palo, Burton, Midas, Indian & Raison which are nice but have yet to buy 4s or 6s.

39. ScottUCF84

ScottUCF84 Savant (255) Florida Apr 7, 2006

Magic hat. I was pretty surprised this winter trying their Heart of Darkness stout. Other than that... don't care for them. I will drink their #9 every now and then, there's a special at a local bar that sells them for 2-3 bucks during Orlando Magic games, but it's mainly because I'd rather have it than BMC.

Sam Adams, while getting me into craft, really only has one or two. I haven't tried their Utopias, though.

40. bellce0

bellce0 Aficionado (220) Georgia Feb 20, 2010

TongoRad likes this.