1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Breweries with only one beer to your likening

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bellce0, Jan 2, 2013.

1. No. 1 pick goes to Cream Stout by Sam Adams. It's been awhile since I've had it but I remember it being phenomenal, and I haven't liked anything else by them.

Milk Stout by Left Hand - I haven't had anything else by them but I loove this brew. Have seen bombers of their imperial stout and have thought about picking one up but haven't taken the plunge yet. Think i might when I get home from vacation.

Bedlam by Ale Asylum. I used to like ambergeddon quite a lot but in the last year or so it's been tasting rather watery. Hoping the expansion might take care of potential QC issues.

Bridge Burner by Lakefront. Everything else has been just aight.
  2. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Blue Point, Toasted Lager.
  3. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

That's probably why Hopslam is brewed by Bell's! :D
    cavedave and jhartley like this.
  4. Two Brothers. So far, I've been unimpressed with everything I've tried by them with the exception of Cane and Ebel. Outlaw IPA and Hop Juice were complete drain-pours for me.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I can't think of any breweries that I only like one offering from, I guess I could say The Alchemist since all I have had from them in Heady.
  6. Gannon81

Gannon81 Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 5, 2012

Dunno if it's been said, but Heart of Darkness is all that Magic Hat is good to me for.
  7. Oskar Blues: Dales, everything else was so underwhelming or overpriced.
    Gritty Mcduffs: Black Fly Stout
    Red Hook: Winterhook
    southern tier (only had a 4) Pumking
    Shipyard: Smashed Pumpkin
  8. Left Hand has my vote. Milk stout is awesome, however the Black Jack porter was pretty tasty, too.
  9. I don't know how you could seriously say that, man, taste is subjective but I can't believe this statement at all.
    I got 3 words for ya: TRY DOUBLE TROUBLE
  10. Nothing wrong with #9. I don't think I've had a bad beer from them, except for that awful Odd Notion witbier from their fall sampler a couple of years ago.
    I think Encore and HiPA are pretty solid IPAs.
  11. Krampus is a wonderful beer! cheers!
  12. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

I don't care to have any more beers from The Alchemist, if I could have at least ten more Heady's I would die a happy man!! Well, in terms of beer helpings from The Alchemist of course!!
  13. Had Sculpin and Victory At Sea from the Source a few days back ;)
  14. Holy shit... ;)
  15. I have yet to try V@S, but the store I work at just got some in! I cant wait to try it!
    RaulMondesi likes this.
  16. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Wake Up Dead Stout and Smoke Jumper Smoked Imperial Porter are wonderful. I'd go so far as to say Smoke Jumper is my favorite smoked beer.
  17. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

My answer is a local one: Rahr & Sons.

I literally hate everything from Rahr besides their Bourbon Barrel Aged Winter Warmer, which tastes like it was made at another brewery it is so wonderful.

I think it's something about their yeast strain, but their beer always has this weird peppery aftertaste that BBAWW doesn't have. It's brilliant!
  18. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

What? You haven't ticked Celia yet? And you call yourself a ticker. :)
    Hanzo likes this.
  19. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

Wait wait.... So let me get this crazy shit straight, you love a whole mess of beers that I'm not into? What in gods name is this bizarre phenomenom??? The sky is fucking FALLING!
    Shit happens man, someone several hundred miles away doesn't like any of your favorite beers, don't be so flabbergasted. I don't understand the love you have for Founders and I honestly feel that if those beers you mentioned truly are some of "the best you've had from any brewery", then one of two things is going on. Either you need to get out more, or we like different beer. I'm guessing it's actually a bit of both considering you believe that Devil Dancer is "better than most breweries best offerings". See, to me that's like calling the sky green and the leaves blue.
    Edit: just to confound you a biy more, I think I'll unleash this lil' tidbit on Ya as well...
    Sophie is the only GI beer I've had that I'm a fan of as well. SNAP.
  20. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I guess I'm an idiot too, I think Devil Dancer sucks.

However, gotta say I love about every other Founders beer I've tried. Doesn't mean I'm right, or you are wrong, peoples' differing taste enjoyments is the reason there are more than one style, and variations with those styles
  21. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

I've always gottenthe impression that the one Founders beer Most people agreed with me upon was Devil Dancer. I'm well aware that I stand pretty much alone in my views about Founders but I have to say, if someone tells me they love Devil Dancer I immediately begin to discredit their opinion.
    cavedave likes this.
  22. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I enjoyed Devil Dancer (only had this years version). Not that you can go by ratings but it is sitting at a 89/84 right now with 1155 ratings. So I guess there are quite a few opinions you have to weed through before you get to the ones with pro palates.
    commis and cavedave like this.
  23. Magic Hat #9 (Although I wanna give Heart of Darkness a shot since it's being so highly rated), Blue Point White IPA (wanna give their Sour Cherry Stout a try), Left Hand Milk Stout (done with 'em).
  24. kotayk

kotayk Aficionado (180) California Feb 22, 2011

Firestone Walker -- DBA