1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brewers Association Lists Top 50 Brewers of 2013

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Boulder, CO - March 31, 2014 - The Brewers Association — the trade association representing small and independent American craft brewers—today released its annual lists of the top 50 craft and overall brewing companies in the U.S., based on beer sales volume and the craft brewer definition in 2013¹. Of the top 50 overall brewing companies, 38 were small and independent craft brewing companies.

"In 2013, craft breweries reached new all-time highs in production volume and dollar sales," said Bart Watson, staff economist, Brewers Association. "Beer lovers continue to demand high-quality, fuller-flavored and local beers from small and independent craft breweries."

(Link: http://www.brewersassociation.org/attachments/0001/4531/CBP13-Top-50_HR.jpg or click to expand.)
    [​IMG]
    ¹The definition of a craft brewer as stated by the Brewers Association in 2013: An American craft brewer is small, independent, and traditional. Small: Annual production of beer less than 6 million barrels. Beer production is attributed to a brewer according to the rules of alternating proprietorships. Flavored malt beverages are not considered beer for purposes of this definition.Independent: Less than 25% of the craft brewery is owned or controlled (or equivalent economic interest) by an alcoholic beverage industry member who is not themselves a craft brewer.Traditional: A brewer who has either an all malt flagship (the beer which represents the greatest volume among that brewer's brands) or has at least 50% of its volume in either all malt beers or in beers which use adjuncts to enhance rather than lighten flavor.

Note: The Brewers Association updated the craft brewer definition in 2014. The new definition can be found on the Brewers Association website and will be used to collect 2014 data, published in 2015.

2Top 50 U.S. Overall Brewing Companies notes: (a) includes Bass, Beck’s, Bud Light, Budweiser, Busch, Goose Island, Landshark, Michelob, Rolling Rock, Shock Top and Wild Series brands. Does not include partially owned Coastal, Craft Brew Alliance, Fordham, Kona, Old Dominion, Omission, Red Hook and Widmer Brothers brands; (b) includes A.C. Golden, Batch 19, Blue Moon, Colorado Native, Coors, Keystone, Killian’s, Leinenkugel’s, Miller and Tenth & Blake brands; (c) includes Pabst, Schlitz and 28 other brand families; (d) includes Alchemy & Science and Sam Adams brands; (e) includes Dundee, Genesee, Labatt Lime, Magic Hat and Pyramid brands; (f) includes Kona, Omission, Red Hook and Widmer Brothers brands; (g) includes BridgePort, Shiner and Trumer brands; (h) includes Boulevard and Ommegang brands; (i) includes Mountain Crest and 10 other brand families; (j) includes Flying Bison, Saranac and Utica Club brands; (k) includes Casco Bay, Sea Dog and Shipyard brands; (l) includes Grain Belt and Schell’s brands; (m) private label brands, primarily for grocery store chains; (n) includes Long Trail, Otter Creek, The Shed and Wolaver’s brands; (o) includes Butte Creek, Kingfisher, Mendocino and Olde Saratoga brands; (p) includes Cold Spring and John Henry brands; (q) includes James Page, Point and Whole Hog brands; (r) includes Iron City and 17 other brand families.

# # #

2. Kanger

Kanger Savant (380) New York Sep 3, 2013

Good to see Sixpoint on there. And right below Bluepoint - interesting.

3. Always love seeing New Glarus in the top 25 on the overall list. Knowing that all that beer is distributed to only one state.

amano_h, timtim, Stevedore and 3 others like this.
  4. lic217

lic217 Savant (435) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Cool list

Unfortunately I have not had a single beer from many of those breweries. I need to get around the country more in order to try more beers (cannot trade as of now with two little kids).

Also I hope that New England Brewing Company shows up on that list soon. Those guys are brewing some world class beers. They have a few hoppy beers that can challenge Pliny the Elder and the Vermont big boys.

CTbrew32 likes this.
  5. I disagree with the Brewers Association omitting August Schell as a craft brewery.

6. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

That explains them being bought out by Anheuser-Busch.

7. mani

mani Savant (295) New Jersey Jun 16, 2012

I'm sure Ballast Point is happy to see their expansion make them jump up the list...

charger62790 and StroppyMare like this.
  8. Go Ballast Point! I love their Sea Monster and Victory at Sea so much, I may be solely responsible for their appearance here.

charger62790 and snohojimbo like this.
  9. That'll change with next year's list. Schell will be listed, and Blue Point (purchased by AB) will drop off, the "Craft" list.

TongoRad likes this.
  10. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Savant (290) Oklahoma Aug 10, 2013

No Oklahoma breweries, so therefore I don't give a fuck where anyone else places.

11. Drift

Drift Aficionado (105) California Mar 26, 2014

Meh I don't agree with that list for the most part

12. Sumdeus

Sumdeus Aficionado (245) California Mar 17, 2014

You don't agree with a list based upon statistics such as volume ofproduction?

13. mani

It's amazing how many people just skim the OP.

cjgiant and jcos like this.
  14. The first of many making their viewpoints known.

15. Benish

Benish Savant (480) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

It means one thing, that's what majority of Wisconsinites drink. Pretty awesome.

16. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Note: an update has been applied by the Brewers Association.

Danmullens1 likes this.
  17. Hubbs85

Hubbs85 Aficionado (105) Georgia Feb 5, 2011

Look at Ballast point go! They're new to us in GA, and Sculpin flies off the shelf. Our local boys, Sweetwater jumped up 5 also. Trying to do our part down here.

18. Troegs needs to break on that list. They make many great brews. Esp. Nugget Nectar!!

19. These "top" posts are always ass backwards. Im not even going to waste the time reading them anymore.

20. Number 2 of the many. Did you read that it was about volume of production? Probably not. You should not read them anymore.

21. They're still ass backwards. These are based on most accessible and "popular" demand. Not quality.

marleyr likes this.
  22. You should read that this list is about the top breweries by production volume. Nothing more than that. Please read the press release.

23. Ive read it....im not denying their sales......im simply saying that it has nothing to do with overall quality.....

24. Where did it say it had anything to do with "quality"? It was the top craft breweries by production.

wspscott, Providence and RandomExile like this.
  25. Did I say that that they were referring to quality......no i didnt. youre missing my point completely. Im saying the reason most of these breweries are at the top of this list is due to accessibility and popular demand. I know lots of people who are not into craft beers yet they drink Sierra Nevada, Goose Island, bells etc. (not discrediting the names mentioned)

MiWolfman likes this.
  26. He's right - the only reason BBC and SN brew and sell so much beer is because so many people buy it! :rolleyes:

27. You said quality there.

I have a lot of high quality beer in my homebrewry. For some reason it did not make this list,

Providence, Twal and RandomExile like this.
  28. How is that?

29. i said quality i wasnt stating this list was based upon it. And this is my point exactly.....there are a lot of breweries(home brews as a far stretch) that do not apply to this list simply because they arent so widely available. Like i stated before, There are alot of people who arnt beer advocates who are not big into craft beer but are huge consumers of some of the companies that are high up on this list.

30. The list is generated on the production volume, nothing more, nothing less. It comes out every year.

MiWolfman and RandomExile like this.
  31. List makes sense to me. I'll step out of the thread and let the poo flinging continue.

32. It doesnt stop me from complaining about the people who populate this production or the reasoning behind it.

33. People who drink Sierra Nevada, Bells,Goose Island ect are into craft beer.

BathSaltTrader likes this.
  34. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

They were/are a popular brewery. Anheuser-Busch wanted a piece.

35. Zorro

Zorro Advocate (705) California Dec 25, 2003

Without Sierra Nevada and Boston Beer I would have had some seriously miserable airport layovers. Usually if nothing else you can get a SNPA or a Boston Lager in every airport except Memphis.

36. Not to take away anything from New Glarus' amazing success in its home - and only- market in Wisconsin (I can never remember if Spotted Cow is the #1 seller in the state, or just the #1 draft beer), but "majority" might be a bit of an exaggeration. According to the Beer Institute's Brewers Almanac, total beer sales ("apparent consumption/wholesale shipments" in their terminology) in WI is around 4.9 million barrels a year, and New Glarus' barrelage is still under 200,000.

Well, "popular" is relative - when a brewery is in the #40-50 range on the B.A.'s Top 50 Craft, that puts it well under 100k bbl./yr. BP's around 60,000 bbl/yr, less than half a percent of total "Craft" sales. Once in AB's stable, BP added barrelage will be pretty insignificant considering their 98 million barrels. Obviously, AB hopes that changes.

Also, Blue Point had the second worst year of any of the Craft Top 50 as far as "rank" goes, dropping 6 places (only the multi-brewpub chain, BrewWorks, did worse). Part of that was probably because of capacity issues at their home brewery.

37. The last time I drank Toasted Lager the label read Blue Point Brewing Patchogue and Rochester NY.

38. Yeah, over the years they've done contract-brewing at a number of breweries. Off hand I seem to remember them using City Latrobe, Olde Saratoga (Mendocino) and a Baltimore area brewery*, besides Genesee in Rochester.

I supposed we'll see "Baldwinsville, NY" or "Newark, NJ" soon.

*EDIT- Oh, yeah - Clipper City.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  39. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

That 17 place jump was the most interesting piece of info I noticed. Also, Lost Coast being in there as well. They are a very underrated brewery that folks around here rarely mention.

40. mani

Agreed. After reading through the names on the list, first thing I did was look for the movers, see who's up, who's down.