Brewers Association Lists Top 50 U.S. Breweries of 2014

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ovaltine

ovaltine Grand Pooh-Bah (5,911) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

A couple of interesting things from here in "The Upper Midwest" .....

1. As pointed out, New Glarus is amazing. Only distribute in Wiskie and #19. That's astounding. It just proves, "If you brew it, they will come." Literally, to Wisconsin (or use Wiskie mules to traverse state lines).

2. Love seeing two Minnie brewers that have been doing their thing for a long time (in the case of Schell's, since 1860). If Summit ever releases Wet Saga, Yuengling, BBC, and SN are in T-R-O-U-B-L-E. :slight_smile:

3. No Surly on the list. Hmmmmm. I'll bet The Mothership fixes that.

Have a terrific Tuesday, BA's.

2. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Grand Pooh-Bah (3,593) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Glad to see Great Lakes on the list....almost in the middle

Surprised that Anchor is just ahead of GLBC (thought Anchor was much bigger)

3. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Pooh-Bah (1,999) Mar 19, 2012 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Never heard of Matt Brewing, Stevens Point Brewery, and a few others. Learn something new everyday...

4. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,245) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Matt Brewing's main label are all of the Saranac beers. Competitively priced "entry-level" craft beer. Some of the stuff that got me into better beer during college in upstate NY.

QuakeAttack likes this.
  5. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,727) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

Woody is awesome!!! is he still cannin it out!!? I hope he is still kickin the can!

breadwinner and BBThunderbolt like this.
  6. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The Canquest continues, except now that cans are popular he is rightfully proud of himself for his part in their ascendance.

7. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Point is a Wisconsin regional that's been around since 1857; well known in the Midwest. It's been brewing some better beers recently, while still brewing their local favorites.

NotHereForGold and QuakeAttack like this.
  8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I'd love to find out how much of the NG beer is actually consumed in Wisconsin. Every one of us who has visited that state has taken a bunch home, plus I'll bet a bunch of it is outbound in trades too.
    The real issue here is whether or not the brewer realizes how bad their stuff is and how badly it is perceived by us BA members. Do they not care? Doesn't the brewer drink his own beer to know this? :grimacing:

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Pooh-Bah (1,999) Mar 19, 2012 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Cool! It's neat to hear the regional/local aspect of beer. Living in California my whole life, I obviously got the West Coast perspective, but I have been learning over the past couple years the other regions of the country...

10. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,727) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

gotta love it!

cavedave likes this.
  11. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,245) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Well considering it looks like their flagship beers are all "Premium" category Lagers, I don't think Beer Advocates are the target market.
    http://minhasbrewery.com/our-brews

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  12. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

IMHO his reviews of beers he dislikes are some of the best reading anywhere, not just on BA, he is a mix of James Thurber, Robert Benchley, and Michael Jackson. And when he likes a beer his palate is just killer, very useful reviews.

Canada_Dan likes this.
  13. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

Not to mention those of us who live a stone's throw away.
    I have honestly wondered this myself.

14. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

The other side of Minhas is that they contract brew for other "craft" breweries who haven't opened their own facility. 5 Rabbit was one of them (sorry Randy, the beer was pretty insipid), but I understand they've since started their own brewery -- I hope they didn't buy out the proprietary yeast from Minhas...

Redrover and cavedave like this.
  15. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

These lists would be a lot more interesting if they included each brewery's barrelage.

aratcliffe and jmdrpi like this.
  16. islay

islay Savant (1,187) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

Distributing only in Wisconsin is a big part of New Glarus' marketing shtick: Play up the "ultimate Wisconsin beer" angle in order to get carried in every gas station and cheese shop in the state. It helps a lot that it brews legitimately fantastic beer (well, aside from its flagship, but even Spotted Cow lets every swill-chugging retiree feel like a locavore craft beer aficionado at the lake cabin fish fry). New Glarus has worked this angle so well that it has convinced people who live thousands of miles away to praise it specifically for its refusal to distribute near them. Deb Carey by all accounts has a razor-sharp business mind, and Dan Carey picked up both nearly flawless production technique and an appreciation for the importance of image and marketing during his years at Anheuser-Busch. They know exactly what they're doing by limiting their distribution to Wisconsin; it's a contributing reason for, not an obstacle to, New Glarus' commercial success.

17. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Utah

Uinta is +8!

I may pick up a Baba at the supermarket on my way home to celebrate.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1416/73965/

jmdrpi likes this.
  18. Wobbly

Wobbly Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2013 Missouri

Wow. Amazingly off base. Lobbying, anyone?

19. hustlemuscle

hustlemuscle Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2004 Ohio

It makes me realize/think about how small the craft beer scene really is. How many on that list are national brands? How many are even bi-coastal? And you think about how the AB family of beers is everywhere.

20. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Pooh-Bah (1,977) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Who on earth would name a brewery "Minhas"??? I mean what is that??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.