1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brewers Association Releases Top 50 US Breweries in 2011

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Apr 17, 2012.

1. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Not very surprising to me. I know a lot more people (non-beer geeks) who regularly drink Lagunitas than Stone, let alone Dogfish - Brooklyn's not distributed here, so I can't speak to that. And I think it's more widely available on tap as well.

2. Huh?

Deschutes Brewery Bend OR - 223,000 bbl.

Stone Brewing Co. Escondido CA – 157,000
    Dogfish Head Craft Brewery Milton DE - 144,000
    Brooklyn Brewery Brooklyn NY - 140,000
    Total of above 3 ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 441,000 bbl.

3. BrewDogRocks

BrewDogRocks Aficionado (140) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Hello. Well I was looking at the chart posted by leedorham in post #8 on this thread and that says that brewer #5 (Deschutes) had a total of 487,000. Is that chart not correct then?

4. That chart is based on a different list - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/07/top-20-craft-breweries_n_1238076.html which includes two non-craft (according to the Brewers Association) breweries, CBA (#4) and Magic Hat (#6). Deschutes is #7 on that graph.

5. BrewDogRocks

Hello. OK, thanks for clearing that up. I'll go look at that list.

EDIT: So the #5 on that list is actually referring to Shiner (Spoetzl-The Gambrinus). That makes more sense now.

6. trbergman

trbergman Savant (450) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_law

daysinthewake likes this.
  7. BrewDogRocks

Hello. So in layman's terms???????

8. TheBeerGuyLOD

TheBeerGuyLOD Aspirant (30) Apr 23, 2012

I think the fact that craft brewing has gone from one percent of the overall beer market to almost six percent, in the last 15 years, is quite significant...and more craft breweries continue to open. The future is bright!

9. dbossman

dbossman Savant (430) Nebraska Apr 27, 2009

Stone is not in every state. I know it's not in Nebraska, Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota (but what is), Oklahoma, for sure (and I don't think I have seen it in Kansas either). Boulevard, though not distributed much out of the Midwest, is HUGE in these parts. You will have a tough time finding a bar between Omaha and Kansas City that doesn't have a Boulevard on tap (usually the Wheat, of course, but still).

10. abraxel

abraxel Savant (385) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

To oversimplify a bit, a power law is basically where in a large group, a few items dominate and then there's a "long tail" of items that are pretty even (the graph sort of plateaus out). There are lots and lots of situations where power laws show up, including (from Wikipedia) the sizes of earthquakes, craters on the moon and of solar flares, the foraging pattern of various species, the sizes of activity patterns of neuronal populations, the frequencies of words in most languages, frequencies of family names, the species richness in clades of organisms, the sizes of power outages and wars, the populations of cities, and lots of others.

Basically, this sort of behavior (where a few breweries dominate and there are a large number of smaller breweries that are relatively similar in size) is pretty unsurprising, and it might actually be weird if it weren't the case.

11. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Some of them do lie to the BA, however. I know of one specific case, but I wont name them. Why? No clue, makes no sense to me at all.

12. rlcoffey

Im stunned every year by the people stunned by the Founders numbers.

They just arent that big. They are growing fast, however. They were 9 spots behind St Arnold last year. In 2006, Founders was under 5k barrels. Come on people, give them some time to grow up.

13. rlcoffey

The power law was broken for breweries for a few decades, as a result of the beer wars. Even still, there arent enough between Yuengling/Sam Adams and BMC to properly make a power law. I think that is part of what is happening with the craft expansion...filling in the power law.

14. rlcoffey

Okay, one more post on Founders. I have last years #s and can make a good guess at this year.

Founders production (in thousands)

2006: 4.4
    2007: 6.1
    2008: 11.9
    2009: 17.3
    2010: 24.5
    2011: ~32 (based on being above St Arnolds, who has a flat trend)

Bells, for comparison:
    2006: 73.9
    2007: 90.6
    2008: 111.3
    2009: 125.1
    2010: 154.0
    2011: between Minhas and Matt, so I would guess about 180

Not even in the same ballpark, size wise.

15. abraxel

abraxel Savant (385) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

That makes sense, I like that explanation of the craft expansion.

16. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

No shit.

17. Stone and Lagunitas are on the rise with expansions going on. Good to see several California breweries make the list. Dpn't forget some very small breweries are making super awesome beers- Russian River.

18. If you know that they just had a big expansion and then just made it on the list, you get an idea that they are not that big in volume, but are growing fast. Bells is >3 times the size of Founders.

19. divineaudio

divineaudio Savant (400) Michigan Dec 7, 2009

Yeah, seriously.

I also never would have guessed that Bell's outsold Stone.

20. The fact is that Bells is much bigger than some think here, and Founders is much smaller. Founders will have some bigger numbers due to their brewery expansion which gets them a capacity around 50,000 barrels.

If you look at the Larry Bell thread on this forum category, teh m-live article states the following numbers for Bells, and your estimate is spot on. "Bell’s, which produced more than 180,500 barrels last year and are projecting to make more than 230,000 this year". The growth in one year will be about equal to the total volume of Founders.

21. This makes total, reasonable sense to me-

All of the top ten breweries make their bread and butter selling approachable beer in six packs, at reasonable alcohol content. Boston Lager, SNPA, Flat Tire, Shiner Bock, Mirror Pond, Saranac Pale, Oberon, UFO, Lag IPA, Boulevard Wheat. Tons of non beer-geek-fuckwits like us know and drink those beers. None of these breweries sell a majority of their beer in bombers, as six packs are what most people buy. Hell, I grew up in MI drinking Oberon, but didn't know that was the beer, not the brewery.

We geek out over CBS, but Founders makes their living selling Centennial IPA. Beer nerds scrambled for Bitches Brew but DFH makes their cash on 60 Minute. This is a list of barrelage, and selling approachable beer in sixpacks and kegs empties those bright tanks pretty fast

Things that do surprise me? That Rouge is so high on the list. Outside the west coast you rarely see them on tap, only in expensive bombers. Also how high Stone is, because most of their beer isn't very approachable to craft dabblers.

22. rlcoffey

About a decade ago, I use to see Rouge on tap here in KY all the time. Dead Guy. As more craft options have become available, its disappeared from taps.

23. For any that still think that Founder should be higher, some data just came out for 2011 production volumes here in Michigan. Data were based on the state excise tax paid.

Bells = 180,504 bbls
    Founders = 40,937 bbls

Bells is about 4.5 times the size of Founders in terms of volume produced, which was the way the origianl list is ranked. Bigger difference than I had thought.

The source for this is the state craft beer publication. There is data in there compiled veral different ways, note that there are numbers for in state and total sales/production volumes. Click "View Michigan Beer Guide" to view online.

http://www.michiganbeerguide.com/

24. rlcoffey

Looks like I was a bit low on my estimate of Founders, but dead on with Bells.

25. Founders will grow some more this year, but will start to get into the capicaity constraint. IIRC their last expansion got the capacity to about 50,000 per year.

Bells will get over 200,000 this year by a lot of barrels. The capacity of the new brewery expansion gets them to a much bigger level than that - can't remember how big, but big.

26. mfdish

mfdish Aficionado (120) Nevada Oct 30, 2011

I'd be willing to bet that if MillerCoors wasn't a team then Pabst would be #2... Speaking of Pabst, made in IL? That's news to me.

BrewDog, I buy more Deschutes than I do DFH and Stone combined, it looks like I'm not the only one. We don't see DFH at 7-11 here, but most places have Mirror Pond and Black Butte, though it takes a liquor store to find any of their other brews :/

27. Hmm... better reconsider that bet. MillerCoors sold over 61 million bbl in 2010, Pabst sold 5,675,000 bbl. At the time of the merger, Miller was around the 40m bbl range, Coors in +20m. Heineken and Crown (Corona) outsell Pabst. Pabst has shrunk so much they're considered "Small" by the Brewers Association's standards.

Pabst's headquarters was formerly in Illinois - briefly - after having left Milwaukee for Texas and Pearl's headquarters in San Antonio in the late '90's. (It's since moved to Los Angeles, after being bought by the Metropoulos family).

The Pabst brands are brewed primarily at MillerCoor breweries around the country.

28. mfdish

mfdish Aficionado (120) Nevada Oct 30, 2011

Whoa, that's a big difference.

See, I always assumed PBR was made/owned by Miller, in WI. The less you (I) know the more you believe.

29. I legitimately had no idea Deschutes was that big already. They need to get bigger still so I can get them here in Pittsburgh =)

30. BlueOkie

BlueOkie Aficionado (155) Oklahoma Jun 19, 2008

A single, pervasively available beer can really elevate a brewery's ranking. Bells (Oberon), New Belgium (Fat Tire), Boulevard (Boulevard Wheat). Sounds like Spotted Cow belongs on this list too. All beers that sit squarely across the BMC/craft divide, in terms of style. Gateway beers in other words, which are a good thing.

31. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Widmer Hefeweizen, DFH 60 Min, and Sam Adams Boston Lager are all more examples of this. Maybe not all gateway beers, but they pay the bills.