1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Brewers getting rare beers

Discussion in 'Beer Trading General / Help' started by dachshunddude86, Jan 15, 2013.

1. dachshunddude86

dachshunddude86 Member

So after perusing the trade forums for a little while I got to wondering: how hard is is for brewers to get their hands on other rare beers? I know the craft brewing community likes to help each other out, but do they share beers with one another or do they have to trade for stuff they want to drink just like the rest of us. For example if Joey Redner wanted a bottle of black note can he just call up Larry Bell and say "Hey Larry, its Joey. Is there any way you could spare a bottle of Black Note? You can? Awesome." Would you share if you were a brewer or would you make other brewers trade you for your beers? Discuss
  2. bryanole27

bryanole27 Member

How do you think CCB serves so much Three Floyds stuff at Hunahpu Day and vis versa:)

Lots of background trading go down I think.
  3. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Member

I would like to believe there is some trading going on between brewers, especially breweries that are somewhat local to each other; like Ballast Point and Stone. What better way to fine-tune your own proucts than by testing out the rest of the market for additional inspiration.
  4. jmw

jmw Member

No trading. I'd share.
  5. nulledge

nulledge Member

See this post from Joey Redner about shipping CCB to Vermont in trade for HF.
    chardlogic and Bluecane like this.
  6. koopa

koopa Member

Yes I would imagine it's like that, but it's much more likely to be an exchange of CASES than a bottle for a bottle :)
    jhartley and dachshunddude86 like this.
  7. dachshunddude86

dachshunddude86 Member

Good point
  8. jhartley

jhartley Member

I am sure trading or sharing occurs between brewers all the time. Why wouldn't they? They enjoy great beer too, not just drinking their own.
    dsal89 likes this.
  9. dsal89

dsal89 Member

Id like to thank FFF and Cigar City for having a good relationship. Because of that I was able to have Apple Brandy Zhukov
  10. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Member

I've traded with some brewers on BA before. Good people. They usually hook it up biig time.
  11. BrewsoBrewco

BrewsoBrewco Member

12. BobZ

BobZ Member

I'm pretty sure many brewers collaborate and share on some level.

I also remember when Urbain replied to Treyab's ISO for Dirty Horse and traded for some rarer US beers he was looking for. I think Trey ended up with two bottles of one of the whitest of wales, if my memory is correct he sent the original unblended. :)
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  13. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Member

Yes they do, just ask Shaun Hill and Jean Broillet IV. Two outstanding brewers with mutual respect trading for each others beers.
  14. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

Why wouldn't they? I assume they like to try new, rare beers just like the rest of us.
  15. pixieskid

pixieskid Member

Yeah and if my memory serves me correctly, he then ended up trading away the Dirty Horse...
    BobZ likes this.
  16. BobZ

BobZ Member

Yeah, allegedly he asked Urbain first before he offered it for trade but it still felt like a bit of a "dick move" IMO (Copyright/TM Mordor Mongo, all rights reserved)
  17. dachshunddude86

dachshunddude86 Member

I'd say more then a bit. Even if Urbain said it was cool what are the chances he will send something like that again. If I were a brewer with world class beer I'd be a bit hurt if someone only used it as a bargaining chip after I personally sent it to them.
    pixieskid and BobZ like this.
  18. awinkro

awinkro Member

Trading absolutely occurs. Someone already mentioned, and yes it's mostly a case or more than just bottle for bottle. I heard a rumor Russian River Xmas party had a case of M. I believe it.
  19. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Member

You know a bottle from that party would NEVER end up on Ebay :D
  20. claaark13

claaark13 Member

I would take a keg of AB Zhukov or Bourbon DL any day over a bottle of any of the top whales. I wouldn't show up to work for a couple weeks due to an initial hangover, and then my blood/sugar levels, but it would be worth it.
  21. wsnich

wsnich Member

They only had 6 ;)
    CityofBals likes this.
  22. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Member

i was at a brewery when the brewer opened up a box of beer from another brewery right around christmas. he mentioned it was a trade off between several breweries, all sending a box to the others. (kegs got involved)
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  23. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Member

For the sake of clarifcation, I remember that he got 2 bottles from Urbain, tasting group opened one, and he ended up trading away the 2nd bottle so others would have the chance to tick it as well...
  24. pixieskid

pixieskid Member

Don't remember that being the case but if so, that is much less shitty than the impression I got of the whole deal...
  25. tobelerone

tobelerone Member

Last time I was in tired hands they gave me a pour of hardywood park bourbon cru they were sharing behind the bar. Nice fellows those!
  26. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Member

Why else would you hold back 150 bottles for your 'personal library' of a 300 bottle release of Ann?
  27. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Member

I actually remember when this went down and I do recall treyab mentioning that he checked with urbain before trading the second bottle
  28. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Member

Brewery only BIF... sounds like alot of fun.