1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brewers getting rare beers

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by dachshunddude86, Jan 15, 2013.

1. So after perusing the trade forums for a little while I got to wondering: how hard is is for brewers to get their hands on other rare beers? I know the craft brewing community likes to help each other out, but do they share beers with one another or do they have to trade for stuff they want to drink just like the rest of us. For example if Joey Redner wanted a bottle of black note can he just call up Larry Bell and say "Hey Larry, its Joey. Is there any way you could spare a bottle of Black Note? You can? Awesome." Would you share if you were a brewer or would you make other brewers trade you for your beers? Discuss

2. How do you think CCB serves so much Three Floyds stuff at Hunahpu Day and vis versa:)

Lots of background trading go down I think.

3. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Aficionado (190) Virginia Nov 23, 2012

I would like to believe there is some trading going on between brewers, especially breweries that are somewhat local to each other; like Ballast Point and Stone. What better way to fine-tune your own proucts than by testing out the rest of the market for additional inspiration.

4. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

No trading. I'd share.

5. nulledge

nulledge Aficionado (170) Florida Jul 14, 2008

See this post from Joey Redner about shipping CCB to Vermont in trade for HF.

chardlogic and Bluecane like this.
  6. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

Yes I would imagine it's like that, but it's much more likely to be an exchange of CASES than a bottle for a bottle :)

jhartley and dachshunddude86 like this.
  7. Good point

8. I am sure trading or sharing occurs between brewers all the time. Why wouldn't they? They enjoy great beer too, not just drinking their own.

dsal89 likes this.
  9. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Id like to thank FFF and Cigar City for having a good relationship. Because of that I was able to have Apple Brandy Zhukov

10. I've traded with some brewers on BA before. Good people. They usually hook it up biig time.

11. BobZ

BobZ Advocate (530) Massachusetts Jun 24, 2009

I'm pretty sure many brewers collaborate and share on some level.

I also remember when Urbain replied to Treyab's ISO for Dirty Horse and traded for some rarer US beers he was looking for. I think Trey ended up with two bottles of one of the whitest of wales, if my memory is correct he sent the original unblended. :)

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  12. Yes they do, just ask Shaun Hill and Jean Broillet IV. Two outstanding brewers with mutual respect trading for each others beers.

13. Why wouldn't they? I assume they like to try new, rare beers just like the rest of us.

14. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Yeah and if my memory serves me correctly, he then ended up trading away the Dirty Horse...

BobZ likes this.
  15. BobZ

BobZ Advocate (530) Massachusetts Jun 24, 2009

Yeah, allegedly he asked Urbain first before he offered it for trade but it still felt like a bit of a "dick move" IMO (Copyright/TM Mordor Mongo, all rights reserved)

16. I'd say more then a bit. Even if Urbain said it was cool what are the chances he will send something like that again. If I were a brewer with world class beer I'd be a bit hurt if someone only used it as a bargaining chip after I personally sent it to them.

pixieskid and BobZ like this.
  17. awinkro

awinkro Savant (275) Texas Oct 15, 2008

Trading absolutely occurs. Someone already mentioned, and yes it's mostly a case or more than just bottle for bottle. I heard a rumor Russian River Xmas party had a case of M. I believe it.

18. You know a bottle from that party would NEVER end up on Ebay :D

19. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

I would take a keg of AB Zhukov or Bourbon DL any day over a bottle of any of the top whales. I wouldn't show up to work for a couple weeks due to an initial hangover, and then my blood/sugar levels, but it would be worth it.

20. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

They only had 6 ;)

CityofBals likes this.
  21. i was at a brewery when the brewer opened up a box of beer from another brewery right around christmas. he mentioned it was a trade off between several breweries, all sending a box to the others. (kegs got involved)

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  22. For the sake of clarifcation, I remember that he got 2 bottles from Urbain, tasting group opened one, and he ended up trading away the 2nd bottle so others would have the chance to tick it as well...

23. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Don't remember that being the case but if so, that is much less shitty than the impression I got of the whole deal...

24. Last time I was in tired hands they gave me a pour of hardywood park bourbon cru they were sharing behind the bar. Nice fellows those!

25. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Why else would you hold back 150 bottles for your 'personal library' of a 300 bottle release of Ann?

26. I actually remember when this went down and I do recall treyab mentioning that he checked with urbain before trading the second bottle

27. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Brewery only BIF... sounds like alot of fun.