1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brewers Guild of Indiana Winterfest

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by hurricanelars, Jan 22, 2013.

1. I have seen the list of breweries that are going to be there but have yet to see any of the actual beers that are going to be present. I'm kind of hoping to get a list prior so as not to go into the fest blind. Anyone have an idea of what some breweries are bringing? Probably end up spending a majority of my time outside by the firkin tent regardless.

2. CWBlues

CWBlues Savant (320) Indiana May 4, 2011

3. denimdemon

denimdemon Savant (420) Indiana Mar 8, 2009

Bell's is bringing BA Batch 9K, so if anyone wants to meet me, I'll be the guy standing there for the first couple hours of the fest. After that, I'll be the guy laying under the table, snoring loudly, possibly covered in his own vomit.

smchenry75 and Rempo like this.
  4. myersk27

myersk27 Savant (410) Indiana Oct 21, 2011

Bells bringing BA Batch 9000 makes me pretty sad that I won't be there.....seems that's a beer that will continue to elude me. maybe Twenty Tap will have a keg of it at their next anniversary party in august-ish....

5. WoodburyMN

WoodburyMN Savant (340) Indiana Aug 5, 2012

Is this unlimited samples?

6. CWBlues

Bell's bringing BA Batch 9000 makes me suddenly not worry about getting pours of all the other amazing beer that's going to be there.

myersk27 and WoodburyMN like this.
  7. denimdemon

Limited only by one's own steely determination of willpower or one's egregious display of public intoxication leading to dismissal and/or arrest.

lurchingbeast and CWBlues like this.
  8. WoodburyMN

Thank Goodness.

What is everyones to drink list?

For me, upland gilgamesh and other lambics, BA 9K and flat 12 Wintercycle.

Really hoping there are some surprises.

9. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

Unfortunately I can't go this year, but for those who can you don't want to miss Against The Grain's Bo & Luke. Fantastic beer.

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  10. genglish

genglish Disciple (65) Indiana Apr 30, 2009

Will have to give that one a try it sounds interesting. Looking forward to Gilgamesh, BA9000 and trying some of the new breweries that are popping up to see what they have to offer.

11. Jkoeneman

Jkoeneman Aficionado (160) Indiana Jul 30, 2010

Here is my key list for Saturday. Obviously, there will be others with the cask tent and the ReplicALE, but I will be seeking these:
    Against The Grain - Bo and Luke
    Bell's - BA Batch 9k
    Daredevil - Muse
    F12 - 23 Pappy Pinko, Brandy Barrel Half Cycle
    Founders - Backwoods Bastard
    FSQ - Rise N Shine
    Iechyd Da - Want to try all of their stuff. They got great reviews in the Hoosier Beer Geek readers poll
    New Day - Vicious Cycle, Breakfast Magpie
    Union Brewing Company - New guys in Carmel, IN doing all cask

12. myersk27

myersk27 Savant (410) Indiana Oct 21, 2011

i really enjoyed their Amber and the Revolution IPA. They are really doing some good things up there....

13. Where in the hell is the FFF beer list? I might join you all at the BA Batch 9,000 shit-show after I drink all of the Hell's Black Intelligencer...

CWBlues likes this.
  14. CWBlues

I haven't tried anything from Iechyd Da, but I was really intrigued after I saw the HBG poll results. Definitely want to try them out. Breakfast Magpie sounds up my alley too. And of course, I'll be spending my typical amount of time in front of the Flat 12 table.

jtosh and myersk27 like this.
  15. Breakfast Magpie is excellent, as is the majority of New Day's offerings... Well worth a trip if you live in or near the city.

16. CWBlues

Yup. Been to New Day multiple times, just haven't gotten to try Magpie yet.

17. Talking to the guys at Flat 12... they said that they'll be bringing a lot more than advertised and it will be worth your while to stop by. Also, normally don't love Sun King but VERY excited to try Pink Taco - their sour, fruit infused Sunlight Cream Ale... and Batch 333 The Velvet Fog (quad) and 777 (tripel).

aasher likes this.
  18. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Advocate (540) Indiana Jun 15, 2010

I was told FFF no longer does the Indiana/local brewfests. I can confirm that they have not appeared at the ones in Crown Point (May) and Valpo (September) which are only about 30-40 minutes from the brewery.

19. Wow... That's news to me. Didn't make it to the microbrewers festival in Broad Ripple this year, but thought I remembered seeing their line up posted in multiple places. That will be disappointing if this is the case.

20. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Savant (490) Indiana Mar 30, 2007

They were at the summer fest for sure.

21. robboyd

robboyd Savant (295) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

And winter fest last year for sure.

22. you guys are smoking crack. FFF was indeed at this past Summerfest. They were at the very end of the line down by the river.... they didn't bring anything terribly exciting though. Just in... I have confirmed from the organizer that FFF is indeed going to be there on Saturday and that Barnaby is already in town.

aasher likes this.
  23. wish I knew what they were bringing!

24. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

FFF was definitely at Summerfest

25. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Then I need to hit up Barnaby

26. Jkoeneman

Jkoeneman Aficionado (160) Indiana Jul 30, 2010

FFF is definitely going to be at Winterfest on the same corner where they always are. Conveniently located behind Sun King.

CWBlues likes this.
  27. Anyone know what they are bringing?

28. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Advocate (540) Indiana Jun 15, 2010

Obviously listing the brewfests that FFF has not been at and their omission from the Brewery list for Winterfest has everything to do with my crack smoking habit.

29. ISO: BA Black Sun w/Cocaine & Cherries

30. robboyd

Just throwing this out there but does anyone have an extra ticket or two? I was caught between three events on this weekend, and by the time I worked everything out accordingly, it was sold out. I'm now having major regret and want to go.

31. denimdemon

32. rcgerard

rcgerard Aspirant (40) Michigan Jun 5, 2010

Look at Bare Hands Brewery's list. Small brewery, but they are the real deal. Also looking forward to the usual suspects, the replicales, and the cask tent.

33. robboyd

myersk27, denimdemon and CWBlues like this.
  34. robboyd

Early observations: Bare Hands and Flat 12 are killing it. The BA Big Black Dog Rye is king, better than the pinko pappy IMO. PB stout and Mole Stout were amazing. Double 574 has been my favorite IPA. The blueberry randal of pumpkin from Bier was incredible. Perkilator from Dark Horse was my favorite from the cask tent. More to come.

myersk27 and jtosh like this.
  35. robboyd

Lots of great beers. I would add a few others in addition to what I named above, as far as outliers in excellence. The double galaxy from Bare Hands was outstanding, as was the brandy barrel half cycle from Flat 12. Union brewing had a beer, named "hoppy" something or another that was very very good. Lambics from Upland were as to be expected and tremendous but my favorite sour of the day was Saint Dekkera from Destihl. Holy mother of sour this was amazing. My hands down favorite beer of the day was the Rye Big Black Dog from flat 12. I hope everyone had as much fun as I did.

36. CWBlues

I'll definitely agree with Bare Hands and Flat 12 killing it. I hadn't tried anything from Bare Hands before, and I impressed by everything I tried. Finally got to try Sun King's Velvet Fog, and enjoyed it. Pink Taco was really good too. I was also pretty impressed by ZwanzigZ. I didn't even realize Destihl was there until the end of the fest, and wish I would've spent more time there. And the casks were out of control this year. Every one I had was fantastic. Definitely a good time this year.

37. robboyd

The Ghost pepper stout was the only beer I tried from them and it was good. I missed Pink Taco, unfortunately. I don't think I can say I had a bad beer all day. The home brewers from Great Fermentations had some nice beers as well.

myersk27 likes this.
  38. WoodburyMN

Bare Hands Brewing was incredible. Their Thai pa was the best beer I had at the fest. Absolutely outstanding.

39. Agree with everyone on Flat 12. Always love their stuff. Their snickerdoodle was really good. Didn't think Pink Taco from Sun King was all that great... but after having Upland Raspberry Lambic... that's a tough act to follow. The BA Batch 9000 was flipping incredible. Was carrying my fourth sample of 9000 to the cask tent... topped it off with Schlafly's Pumpkin (about a half/half mix). That was pretty amazing.

40. visualmartyr

visualmartyr Savant (385) Indiana Oct 22, 2012

is the Thai.p.a distributed?