1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brewery and U.P tour in Michigan

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Aditya3110, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Aditya3110

Aditya3110 Initiate (15) Jan 30, 2013

Hi guys

I am doing a tour in Michigan early august and plan to go to as many breweries as possible. I have founders and bells on my list as much go but there are quite a few out there.
    I was just wondering if anyone has been to a few of them to vouch for their quality of beer and food somewhere close by maybe.
    This is a trip around the perimeter of Lake Michigan. so i will also be driving through wisconsin also.
    Any input is greatly appreciated.
    This is a 8-9 day trip so i have plenty of time. but i do not want to detour too far(not more than 75 miles) from the lake to get to a place.

I did a similar tour in Colorado and it was the best. we had a DD each day and went to 17 breweries in 8 days and lots of sight seeing along the way.

2. Aditya3110 likes this.
  3. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

BM sent.

JohnB87, Aditya3110 and raymo55 like this.
  4. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Is your tour solely based around beer stops? Or is it a scenic tour, vacation?

5. Starting in SW Michigan: Greenbush, then go to The Livery, then detour to Bell's, then north to Founders, then back to the lake to New Holland, then north to Jamesport, then at least three places in the Traverse City area: Right Brain, North Peak, and Jolly Pumpkin. Go northeast to Short's in Bellaire, then northwest to Petoskey Brewing just north of Petoskey.

Then head for the bridge (I'm not well schooled on which of the UP breweries are the best choices, but you'll hear other chime in about them) and meander up to Marquette where there are at least three breweries from which to choose. Then head for the Keweenaw Peninsula. At least two good breweries (Keweenaw and The Library) are up there, but again I'm not well schooled on which other ones to hit. From there you can drop down to Escanaba to Hereford & Hops, but it's just an average place. Then to Wisconsin where I can't help you at all among those along the lake.

Have a nice trip.

Aditya3110 likes this.
  6. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

I am hoping to do a similar tour this summer with the family!

7. I forgot to include Saugatuck Brewing and Odd Side Ales, so insert Saugatuck before New Holland and Odd Side after New Holland in my post above. There are other breweries in between all of those that I mentioned, but these are the most worthy ones. Brewery Vivant can also be added while in Grand Rapids. It's only a mile or so from Founders.

8. The Filling Station in Traverse City is worth a mention, as the beers were clean and to style.

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  9. Aditya3110

it is both in a way. we have done this before in colorado. we have a DD for each day and we stop for scenic sights and beer. typically we have been able to do 2-3 breweries in a day while squeezing other stuff in. if we cant stop at a beer to grab a pint we take some to go for the night stop.

10. Aditya3110

since i have not mentioned i am from chicago and plan on starting and ending there. its going to be friday to the next sunday. 8-9 days

11. atone315

atone315 Advocate (680) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

My wife and I did this same trip over Memorial Day weekend last year, although it included a day of wineries on the Leelanau Peninsula and a lot of hiking!!! So, we were only able to hit FFF, Bell's, Founders, New Holland, Short's, and a ton of bottle shops. (Make sure you stop in Escanaba-http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/21125 Well worth the stop and you will be surprised what they have on the shelf!!! Awesome trip, looks like it is going to be an annual event now!!!

Last note, do you have 4wd? The lake effect snow looks like it's pounding MI pretty good this year!!!

Mothergoose03 likes this.