1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brewery Ommegang & HBO Announce First "Game of Thrones" Collaboration Beer: "Iron Throne"

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Red Wedding Ale!

Even better, a beer that allows you to take one drink that's amazing, but before the next one the beer falls flat.

ISO: Beer and glass, seriously
  2. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

Charlie_Hoss likes this.
  3. IronThrone

IronThrone Initiate (20) California Mar 17, 2013

I'm from California and they don't carry the game of thrones "iron throne" here yet. I'm looking to buy 2 bottles. Can anyone help? Would also love to get 2 glasses if possible.. Looking to pay retail plus a little extra for shipping fees and gas money!
  4. dieBlume

dieBlume Savant (280) Virginia Mar 18, 2013

I can't wait to try this. I've been looking forward to it every since I saw they were going to release it. The beer/wine place I go to in Arlington is supposed to have it, but I won't be there until this weekend. The guy we talk to who orders their beer said they'll have it soon. (Then again he said the same about getting in more La Terrible...which made me sad when they didn't.)

Crossing my fingers here. Hoping to pick up a bottle or two for myself. Also would be interested in getting the special glass.
    seakayak likes this.
  5. ZPag

ZPag Zealot (95) New York Dec 3, 2012

It is hitting national distribution, so don't go trading like crazy for it. I will say I went to the brewery and bought 5 bottles of it as soon as they opened on Saturday, and they had TONS of it. It is also relatively inexpensive as far as Ommegang limited releases go. The brewery price is $7.99 and the glass is also $8. So if people really can't find it, I live about 20 minutes from the brewery and can get it and the glasses, send me a message if you need it right away and I will try and help you out. Ommegang has stated that it should be in all markets by April 1st though.
  6. Wonder if a 2012 Huna could land this and the glass?
  7. Saw it on shelves here (MO) last week. Not sure about glassware though.
  8. What about grog?
  9. Its even coming into Canada ie Ontario, whats up with that?

Probably wont see the glassware but I have seen collectible ceramic GOT steins.........hmmmmm....is that allowed?
  10. Mag00n

Mag00n Savant (355) New York Nov 21, 2008

hahah, lol, haha
    kirbmeist likes this.
  11. Whats so funny?
  12. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I want a Dornish spicy lager or lambic
    codasnap52 likes this.
  13. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

It's not funny if you have to explain it.
    Lare453 likes this.
  14. braugon

braugon Savant (355) Connecticut Mar 14, 2013

we got it here in connecticut
  15. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

cnbrown313 likes this.
  16. tbjj4life

tbjj4life Zealot (75) California Oct 22, 2012

that's gonna be dope!
  17. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Has anyone tried this yet? Is it more than just a gimmick? I trust Ommegang to make good beer, so I sure hope so.
  18. Anyone seen this in the Hamilton, NY area? I know I'm less than 50 miles from the brewery but I haven't had the time to check the local purveyors.

I caught Bon Iver at Ommegang's brewery grounds last year and I'm a fan of their brews although I've only had the Witte.

And another name... "Sansa Saison"
  19. on my facebook feed, ommegang just listed a bunch of bars that should be carrying it this weekend.
    lucky for me, i had plans to hit one of them tonight
  20. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

Your awesome, I'm doing this too. I do want the glass though...
  21. lic217

lic217 Savant (410) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Just saw it in Hartford county CT.
  22. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

I tried it here last week. It tastes like somebody sprayed me in the mouth with perfume. Its interesting at first and then it becomes undrinkable. Glad I didnt pay for it. Drainpour for sure.
  23. When you play the game of brews, you drink or you drain pour.
    beerindaglass, Bubbalito and gpawned like this.
  24. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

Picked up a bottle at Whole Foods this morning. Hoping I can get one of those glasses to drink it out of.
  25. Thought it was alright, nothing too great though. Definitely not getting again at the price point.
  26. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

I heard the taste quality triples once the new season starts!!!;)
    Charlie_Hoss likes this.
  27. Need.dat.glass.
  28. HookemHops13

HookemHops13 Advocate (515) Texas Mar 21, 2013

Has anyone found where to get the glasses yet? Checked the online store but nothing there...
  29. Dag87

Dag87 Disciple (55) California Dec 18, 2012

I just saw this in a Total Wine by my house. Should have picked up a bottle.
  30. riemster

riemster Advocate (535) Ohio Mar 17, 2011

LetsPour had a deal for it today. Limit 1 per customer though :[
  31. Goes on sale at 5 at the Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont for interested people in MA
    AGuyNamedTom likes this.
  32. AGuyNamedTom

AGuyNamedTom Initiate (20) Mar 27, 2013

I am indeed interested in that information. Thank you Beers Morgan.
  33. mnguyen281

mnguyen281 Initiate (0) Texas Apr 9, 2009

Wasn't bad, but wasn't very good either. Mainly got it just for the bottle.
  34. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

When did we get extra states?
    DerekMorgan, Earlycsquid and fmccormi like this.
  35. Weter

Weter Aficionado (155) Michigan Oct 24, 2011

KING OF THE NORTH!!
    Charlie_Hoss likes this.
  36. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Bubbalito, Charlie_Hoss and gpawned like this.
  37. Bubbalito

Bubbalito Savant (435) Virginia Jan 2, 2012

Picked on up today at Wegmans, paid $8.50. Comparable to many other corked n caged bottles. Worth it for the label alone (instead of searching for the best bottled on date, like i sometimes do on IPA's, I picked up and put down about 5 bottles looking for the cleanest label, doh!).
  38. Bubbalito

Bubbalito Savant (435) Virginia Jan 2, 2012

Great Review! I haven't cracked mine open yet, but I am even more excited now that I was when I purchased the bottle. I firmly agree that when it comes to many great beers, often belgians, less is more. Looking forward to this one.
    fmccormi likes this.
  39. We found it here in Brighton, MA at Walsh Liquors. The owner had just unpacked it moments ago. And by a happy mishap, we previously bought some other Ommegang beer, thinking we weren't going to be able to find it anywhere.
  40. oN3xM

oN3xM Aficionado (180) Illinois Mar 22, 2013

Where's my Breaking Bad blue crystal meth variant?