1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brewery Ommegang re-branding

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Cinderbike, Aug 14, 2012.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Neither. If I were judging a beer by it's label (which I don't) I wouldn't even pick either of them up. They are both that unattractive visually. You can be bold and noticeable without being cartoonish and garish.
  2. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (250) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

$13.99/bottle? Wow, you're getting ripped off. I think most ommegang beers are like 9 or 10 here. Either way, they're fantastic.
  3. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I saw the first of these in Texas... Sunrise Mini-Mart got a new shipment of Hennepin with the new labels.

4. I don't know how old the article you copied that from is, but Ommegang has been brewed in Belgium somewhat recently. I remember seeing bottles of Hennepin and something else within the past 6 months which read PRODUCT OF BELGIUM.
  5. Sam21

Sam21 Savant (350) Connecticut Dec 14, 2009

I have the dubbel and Hennepin from Belgian. From June I believe.
  6. Although some of the older labels were a bit drab. I prefer them to these new ones, these animal and human outlines on the new ones come across as cartoonish to me. Aphrodite is an example of a label from them that I really like.
  7. Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make to refute points like this "Ive met people who thought Ommegang was Belgian until i told them "Dude, its from New York".
  8. since becoming the beer go-to-guy at stone liquor im noticing a trend with what people see and what they crave...for example, ive stocked many a case of left coast's voo-doo based soley on the " i like the purty picture on the bottle" uniform labeling creates an easily recognizable product, so being a beer geek, and a fan ommegang i say..good job gentlemen! i look forward to stocking your newly labeled products on my shelves.
    DanE likes this.
  9. No one else thinks that these are a direct reference to Cantillon? The silhouettes and all? Maybe it's just me. Either way, I like them and I totally fux with Ommegang (Hennepin especially).
    luwak likes this.
  10. Oh yeah, its totally is. It's smart too because Cantillon beers are both highly respected and expensive. It makes Ommegang appear better by association.
  11. I halfway agree, because I loved the old Hennepin label, I also really like the new unified scheme
  12. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

I think they look pretty good. Honestly, the old Hennepin label is one of the worst I've seen, and the uniformity they're introducing is pretty cool.
    fujindemon74, LarryAppleton and luwak like this.
  13. Hi All, I saw the first new packaging in the Corning, NY Wegmans last night. A 4 pack of Witte. I like the old and the new packing. They are both classy, but I think it was time for a change. The new packaging looks like it was all done at same time with same theme (coordinated), the old packing looks like it was done individually. Ommegang is awesome all around.
  14. I agree, I think this label could have been the inspiration for the neww ommegang packing. Good eye leedorham.
  15. BigPlay1824

BigPlay1824 Savant (390) New York Oct 13, 2010

I love the new labels on the bottles but they've also changed their tap handles, their old ones were extremely unique checkerboard pattern and they changed them to more of a generic across the board look. The bottles pop and the taps blend.
  16. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Yeah exactly! As soon as i saw them i thought...somebody knows that ppl go gonzo for Cantillion....

17. EdH

EdH Aficionado (220) Utah Jul 27, 2005

The new ones will probably look better on the shelf; but they're giving up what seems like a pretty iconic Hennepin label. That probably won't make much difference, though--existing "fans" will keep buying it regardless.
  18. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I like the new labels. Something about the older ones made them get lost in a crowd for me. The new ones remind me a lot of Great Divide's theme of having unique characters with a silhouette on the bottle.
    While the label art might not change the beer inside, it can make people notice them more. A lot of the CO breweries did some rebranding in 2007-2009 and I think that helped several really turn a corner.
  19. Listen its beer, so I won't get a lot of butt hurt either way, but that old Hennepin bottle is DOPE. Just as long as the product continues being high quality, its all good with me...
  20. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

It is the unified look theory as someone said. It would be great in a store that shelves by brewery...get this big block of Ommegang. It might help where product is shelved by style too, easier identify once people know Ommegang is using the same label design across their product line.

I like them. I thought the old Hennepin label screamed out, but their other stuff go lost. You do have to catch the eye.
  21. They look pretty slick to me.
  22. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

I think this was intentional, whether they would admit it or not.
  23. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Really like these new labels.
  24. Ommegang's new labels look good.
    Weyerbacher's...not so much.

Now Great Divide's labels...some of the best around.
    Iconic, informative, sharp looking, great design.
  25. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Intentional because they want people to make the association between Cantillon and Ommegang subconsciously, or intentional because they think Cantillon has a really snazzy logo and are emulating what they see as a good idea?
    LambicPentameter likes this.
  26. The new labels are cool, but I never thought about the old ones in any way until this thread. I have liked many Ommegang beers since 1999 or 2000, and think that the quality to price ratio is very nice (although the price used to be much better, relative to beers of similar quality). I can see how new craft beer enthusiasts could be swayed into buying these based on appearance (as some have mentioned), but I have liked their beers for many many a year, so it really doesn't matter to me at all. I can definitively say that the old labels did not bother me, even slightly.
  27. A few months ago I went into a beer store and asked one of the employees to recommend some good Belgian beers for me. One of the bottles he picked out was Three Philosophers. Ommegang knows how to wear its Belgian camoflage.
  28. Ive bought more Ommegang post re-branding, than I ever have. So theres that.
    fmccormi likes this.
  29. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I like the continuity of the new packaging, although I'm not blown away by the individual labels.
  30. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

[​IMG]

Nice, looks like they're working with what they did for Scythe and Sickle.
    luwak likes this.
  31. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

The new branding looks clean as hell, most of their old labels were kind of a confused mess. Hennepin anyone?
    LambicPentameter, luwak and vurt like this.
  32. Apom

Apom Disciple (60) South Carolina Mar 30, 2013

Just had my first ommegang and loved the beer And the labels.
    JxExM likes this.
  33. While I agree that the re-brand has product consistency beyond the old line, I will always, always prefer the look of the old hennepin.....it was just so visually striking. The rest of (outside of maybe Rare Vos) were designs i could take or leave. If you are listening Ommegang, Bring back the old Henepin logo!
    tzieser likes this.
  34. Cinephile

Cinephile Aficionado (105) Michigan Sep 25, 2012

Three Philosophers still tastes good.
  35. If labels didn't matter, every beer would look like this.

[​IMG]
  36. olfolxholme

olfolxholme Savant (285) California Feb 13, 2011

I liked the old ones better. The new ones strike me as too slick. But, if I'd never seen the old labels... who knows.
  37. Brewery Ommegang puts out amazing beers! Regardless of label design I will continue to buy it often.

Hennepin is the stuff!!!
  38. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

I kinda like the labels. They need more argyle though--I wish they had used the old taphandles as inspiration. The new taphandles are boooooooring.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    tzieser and fmccormi like this.
  39. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Savant (415) Connecticut Jul 16, 2005

Boring? The reason they probably changed is so bars can actually use their tap handles instead of having clunky handles banging into one another...
  40. I always liked the argyle style taps .
    However the new ones look more regal in a way to me ...
    Does appear harder to tell what beer it is for tho