1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Brewery Ommegang re-branding

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Cinderbike, Aug 14, 2012.

1. emannths

emannths Member

Fine--make em skinnier. But the argyle was great, and it made the Ommegang handles particularly distinctive.
  2. fmccormi

fmccormi Member

I'm with you—I really like the new labels to be honest, because they're slick, still distinctive, and actually project a singular sense of branding, but the argyle was boss. Should've made argyle a bigger part of the new labels. Like, use the labels they have, just make an argyle pattern in tones of the current labels' colors.
    tzieser likes this.
  3. Herky21

Herky21 Member

They are cool, however, I wish they would rebrand with some 12 oz. bottles.
  4. YieldToNothing

YieldToNothing Member

their big 6 come in 12 oz bottles

yea, it would be nice if the limited releases came in 12 oz too.
  5. fmccormi

fmccormi Member

Well, to be fair Gnomegang was put in 12oz bottles in the most recent mixed 8-pack, and Scythe & Sickle came out in 12oz bottles as well as Fleur de Houblon, coming out in May.
  6. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Member

I too like Ommegang's new labels. I didn't think of the similarity to Cantillon's until it was pointed out on this thread, but that only increases my appreciation for the new style.

Great Divide has some good looking labels as well, and like Ommegang and Cantillon, they prominently use silhouettes.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  7. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Member

That would have been freaking sweet. I agree that the new tap handles are a little plain--the colors without the distinctive silhouette design are a little less impactful.
    fmccormi likes this.
  8. Herky21

Herky21 Member

Really? I've only ever seen the 750s in Iowa.
  9. YieldToNothing

YieldToNothing Member

that's good news.
    i wish gnomegang came out in 12 oz 4 packs on its own. that beer blew me away
    fmccormi likes this.
  10. Rob315

Rob315 Member

Love the new labels, I really like the more simple graphic approach.
  11. PhilLesh

PhilLesh Member

Regardless, they should get away from pushing BPA and rally around Ommegang Abbey as their flagship. I like the new labels over the old
  12. YieldToNothing

YieldToNothing Member

couldn't disagree more. i think abbey is their weakest offering. that's why this is fun though, we all have different palates.
    but yea, bpa isn't their best tasting beer imo either. three philosophers>rare vos>hennepin>witte>bpa>abbey
  13. fmccormi

fmccormi Member

Ditto. I echo that sentiment, on both counts.

Also, I appear to be one of the few who thought that Duvel Rustica was outstanding. I think people were thrown off by the name "Duvel," because it was so different from Duvel, even though it was never their intention for it to be the same.
  14. getinked

getinked Member

I was thinking it looks exactly like a new brewery in San Diego that popped up not too long ago. Societe Brewing Co??

[​IMG]
  15. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

Or "Old Topper" from Rochester Brewing Co. (NY).

[​IMG]
  16. HeyitsMainey

HeyitsMainey Member

Say What you want but from a beverage management Prospective the old Bottles where a nightmare! They all had the same pattern and logo just different colors. The new bottles show character.

The all have a story of how the label was created and the history behind the beer. From a restaurant point of view it makes it easier to manage and sell.

It is a shame about the handles though...
  17. Sam21

Sam21 Member

This is my opinion as well, to an extent. With the old bottles, it was if every bottle had a completely different label/approach. All of those season special releases also had different labels and approaches. While I liked them, there was a lack of consistency even to the way Ommegang was printed on the bottles. Some had one lion, some had two, etc.

This new and more consistent labeling is definitely a good move on their part - I am happy to see the use of argyle on their website, but do wish they used it on their tap handles. In the end, I don't care that much because the beer is damn good.
  18. fmccormi

fmccormi Member

I mean, they kinda do. It's on the lion and on branded shield or whatever. Although, I think you were saying that you wish the whole handle was argyle, still—and that I agree with.
  19. Sam21

Sam21 Member

Exactly - they just stood out, but it wouldn't be consistent with their bottles, so I get their approach.
    fmccormi likes this.
  20. fmccormi

fmccormi Member

Agree. The taphandles are plenty slick, they just don't stand out the way the old ones did.
  21. AHood

AHood Member

I had to tell many a customer this when they went looking for Ommegang in the import section.
  22. AHood

AHood Member

The old labels were nice, but I agree with you totally here. They're a good American brewery and shouldn't be afraid to tell it so. Personally, I like the direction they are headed with the redesign.
  23. Knapp85

Knapp85 Member

I prefer the new labels. I actually thought that Ommegang had released a ton of new beers until I read the labels and saw it was just a new design. I think they're really nice looking personally.
  24. Sesmu

Sesmu Member

You can't fault people for expecting it to be similar to Duvel.
    From the website:
    Duvel Rustica Golden Ale is our long-anticipated collaboration with Duvel. It's our first Belgian-style Golden Ale, a elegant ale noted for using simple ingredients to create complex flavors and aromas. We worked closely with Duvel on the recipe and processes, yet added our own signature notes. This Duvel collaboration created a fine ale, one with all the depth and breadth of Duvel's classic Belgian Golden Ale, along with rustic notes, including fruity esters from our yeast.
  25. fmccormi

fmccormi Member

I get that, but I don't understand why someone would have thought it would be a clone of Duvel. What would be the point in that? And it is similar to Duvel in a lot of ways—just different in some other aspects, as well.

Reviews I've seen where it sounded like people were thrown off by it seemed like they expected the beer to be super crisp, super peppery, not particularly fruity, and super, well, Duvel. I didn't understand why they seemed to be upset that it was different than Duvel.

But, that's just my opinion, my perception, and my interpretation. I could very well be in the minority here, and I'm fine with that.
  26. HectorB

HectorB Member

Store I buy beer at sells Hennepin and Abbey Ale with two different style labels on the 12 oz bottles.

Wondering when the brewery switched labels, and which label style is older/newer?

None of the bottles have any kind of freshness date on them.

Thanks!
  27. RichD

RichD Member

The newer labels (the hennepin with the grey packaging, and the Abbey ale with the similar packaging to hennepin) are the newer style and Ommegang changed to that style at least a year ago.
  28. KegKicker

KegKicker Member

Ommegang bottling date should be on the neck in black ink. Most of their beer ages rather well, so you should pick up some of the older stuff to compare with the new.

Not sure when the labels changed as time simply melts into one big pot for me anymore. Could have been one or two years ago.
  29. rgordon

rgordon Member

Yes. I had a supplier of great French and Spanish wine once tell me that the package/label is meaningless, only the contents matter. That is simple, foolish thinking.