1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brewery Road Trip

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by RichardMNixon, Mar 11, 2013.

1. I'm planning a trip some time in the next month through Connecticut and Vermont (from Delaware) and I'd like to try NEBCO, Lawson's, The Alchemist, and Hill Farmstead. Any special considerations I should take into account (e.g. canning days at the Alchemist)?

I think I've figured out the canning timing at Alchemist and the delivery schedule of Lawson's, but what is HF like? I know they're closed Sun/Mon/Tues with long growler lines Wednesday; what goes on there on Friday?

If I'm short on time, is NEBCO a place I need to go or is it easy enough to find on shelves in CT?

Any where else you'd recommend or advice you'd dispense? I was hoping to only pass through once (on the way to Montreal) since it's a 2 hour detour.

2. It seems increasingly impossible to visit NEBCO and HF on the same day... has anyone seen Gandhi Bot for sale this week along the I95/I91 path from NYC to VT?

3. Search is your friend, 800 topics on all of the things you are asking.

4. The last time I was at Hill Farmstead was on an early Friday afternoon in November. There were only a few people ahead of me in line for growler fills. I suggest getting the $5 samples while you wait. Makes the process much more enjoyable. Also, HF is cash only and there are no ATMs within miles of the farm.

In Montreal check out Dieu du Ciel. Tons of awesome beers on tap. Schwartz's Deli is also worth stopping at. Fantastic smoked meat sandwiches.

5. There's an ATM five minutes down the road at Willey's.

6. dunix

dunix Savant (460) Vermont Jan 26, 2011

It really is hit or miss. I've seen long(ish) lines on Thursdays and Fridays. Usually the lines are pretty quick even if they are long on non-special release days. If you go on a weekday you should be fine. Now is a good time to go, since it is mud season. Unless of course, you have a low profile car and you're nervous about driving through rutted roads. Then you should probably wait a month or so.

7. Thanks all for the tips. Just my luck HT sold out early and Lawson's took the week off... I can't win.