1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brewery that has the most cheap and very good beer in bombers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 19etz55, May 22, 2013.

1. i wanna live where you guys live. only place i can find bombers under $6 is trader joe's. and their selection certainly leaves a lot to be desired
  2. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Of course if they would print a damned bottle date we would ALL be a lot happier.
  3. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

I think the OP was specifically looking for bombers at a good price/quality. Most of us know that 6-packs give better price per ounce than most any bomber. Most of Lagunitas and to a lesser extent Stone offerings in bombers are ONLY in bombers. I would have to echo Lagunitas and Stone as the top two that come to mind for top to bottom value and quality in 22oz format.
    Bosoxfan20 likes this.
  4. I'd give it up for growler fills :)
    Lefty's ~5 ea.
  5. Stone and Lagunitas by a mile. Most of the Victory bombers are pretty well priced being in the state. Helios is real cheap and Baltic Thunder is usually like $7. I think I paid $9 for some White Monkey and Old Horizontal too.
  6. Another vote for Lagunitas.
  7. Dude cmon its the best lubricant......2nd to tears that is.

But actually drunk thinkgs that I think are funny (that actually aren't) aside, as everyone else has said: Stone, Lagunitas, and Bear republic fasho! Cali has some of the best beers for the value, as well as some of the most ridiculously overpriced, yet equally awesome brews *COUGH BRUERY COUGH*
  8. Lagunitas bombers are top notch fo sho but gotta go with Stone for both the breadth and depth of their offerings!
  9. Agree with Lagunitas.......excellent quality, Hop Stoopid and Maximus for $3.99 at Trader Joes, right along side the Arrogant Bastard for the same price. Bear Republic is also quite reasonable, as is Green Flash.
  10. When I buy Lagunitas bombers I feel like I am cheating at life.
  11. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Quality vs price I agree, Alpine makes stellar brews, mostly 8 bucks or so.
  12. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Stone puts out plenty of beer and have really become known for their aggressive hoppy ones, but as it turns out, their Smoked Porter is still my favorite from them, and it happens to be the cheapest. 4.99$ in most places and even 3.99$ in some. Can't beat that.
    TongoRad likes this.
  13. Lagunitas has the bomber for cheap program on lockdown for consistency it seems. Who can argue a WTF or Imperial Stout for under a 5er. Stone has the Smoked Porter hanging out in its bomber program that is a 5er. Anchor Steam has all of theirs under 5.
  14. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (660) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Totally agree with Bear republic. Lagunitas is probably second for me, but only Hop Stoopid is a frequent buy for me. And for people that are paying under $5 for Unibroue bombers, I envy you.
  15. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Great beers, only two even remotely worth the price. I like Port Brewing, the fact that they don't have 12oz to compare, but Old Visc for $5.99? Oh hell yeah. Big fan of Mongo, Fresh Tide, and their Anniversary held up great after long periods of time.
  16. For me, I'd say Victory. The value of Helios is unmatched, and the other 22oz-ers they release aren't badly priced (for MA anyways).
  17. bobv

bobv Savant (460) Vermont Feb 3, 2009

Ten Barrel bombers here in VT are $4.99 and so are most of VT's Rock Art bombers!?!?!
  18. Not in the US.
    SABERG likes this.
  19. The Sierra Nevada's Southern & Northern hemisphere harvest ales are always reasonably priced.
  20. danmcg62

danmcg62 Savant (400) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2006

Berkshire Brewing Company in MA has very good beers in bombers. Their Coffeehouse Porter is excellent and retails for about $3.99. They also have a Raspberry Barleywine that is solid too.
    RyanLigeia likes this.
  21. SABERG

SABERG Savant (460) Massachusetts Sep 16, 2007

Agree with above

BBC
    danmcg62 and RyanLigeia like this.
  22. Infinite1

Infinite1 Savant (310) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

Clown Shoes
  23. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (335) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Wipe Out is good stuff!
    HopsintheSack likes this.
  24. Well generally Lagunitas probably but considering its getting hot, and sometimes I want something refreshing and super cold..
    I'll say it...
    RED HOOK
    their ESB or pilsner sooooo cheap and pretty good.
  25. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Savant (495) Missouri May 11, 2012

Lagunitas. duh
  26. oya1time

oya1time Zealot (95) California Dec 23, 2010

Most Bombers from Oregon
  27. BeastLU

BeastLU Savant (485) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Hop stoopid, stupid.
  28. GA_SIPPER

GA_SIPPER Aficionado (140) Georgia Feb 24, 2013

Lagunitas...
  29. BeastLU

BeastLU Savant (485) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

I'll take a Ranger bomber for 3.29 all day!!
  30. RyanGoodman

RyanGoodman Savant (300) Bolivia Nov 16, 2011

Bear Republic @ $6 in Pennsylvania. Stone is my go to, but at nearly $10 here, not as often as I'd like. How's is Bear Republic so much cheaper than Stone here?
  31. Yaulp!
  32. Stone has an organic farm to pay for.
  33. I get stone, Firestone, lagunitas and Anderson valley all <$5... I got 4 espresso ris for $20. That's a steal
    highdesertdrinker likes this.
  34. Bear republic.
    L.a.g.u.n.I.t.a.s.
    Stone.
    Alesmith.
  35. Good call- I forgot about that one.

Another east coast beer I like is Cisco's Captain Swain Export Stout in the $5-6 range- don't know how far it's distributed, though. Very solid stout around 8%, I wish there were more in that 'in between' range with that kind of flavor.
  36. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (570) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

when in the hell did you see a La fin du Monde bomber for $3.99....I mean, they arnt outrageously expensive up around $9, but $4 is just rediculous.
    bobv likes this.
  37. Mshull

Mshull Aficionado (195) Ohio Mar 26, 2013

Lagunitas with out a doubt. Hop stoopid for 4.99, there is no better deal
  38. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (570) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

i want to move to Canada.
    dar482 likes this.
  39. dougfur

dougfur Savant (310) New York Jan 24, 2011

Apparently in the rest of the country, Stone bombers are reasonably priced. Not so much around here... Here, it's tough to beat Hop Stoopid, but honestly, I have a hard time buying bombers these days. It's just not a good deal in general.
    I should add though, that if Kern River ever starts releasing bombers of citra in NY, I will take out a second mortgage if need be.