Brewery Visits

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerNut402, Jan 4, 2013.

1. What breweries have you been able to tour? What were your favorites?

2. I will start... Boulevard Brewery in Kansas City. It was my favorite of the five or six I have had the chance to visit. They have a whole floor of the brewery consisting of handcarved wooden tiles. One man and his assistant slaved away for about 4 months (if I remember correctly) carefully handcarving and placing the tiles one by one. Another cool thing is I was there when they finally decided to switch over from screw off tops to pry off. The reason: they said there is an important secondary fermentation process that takes place from the time it is bottle until the time it is opened. They screw off cap lets oxygen in which can ruin the process.

3. jrbchef

jrbchef Savant (265) Connecticut Feb 24, 2011

My first tour was Utica Brewery in up-state New York about 30+ years ago. Since I've been to a few including Redhook in Washington and New Hampshire. My favorite so far has been 7 seas in Gig Harbor Washington. They served there stout with mini snickers bars which was quite the match. This week i hope to go to Beer'd brewery in Ct, a small Nano that is not pretentious, just loves doing the beer thing.

Lordkrystic and BeerNut402 like this.
  4. rodlavers

rodlavers Savant (435) Pennsylvania Jun 20, 2012

Going to Bell's tomorrow.

donno005 likes this.
  5. A few weeks ago I hit up Lost Abbey, Stone, Green Flash, and AleSmith.

Of all the breweries I've been to, Lost Abbey is my favorite to visit.

6. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aficionado (205) Virginia Sep 26, 2010

I made a list of all the breweries and brewpubs/taphouses associated with one brewery that I visited on 2012. Tried ranking them based on beer, ambiance, food (when applicable), tour (when applicable), and other intangibles.

1. Andescher, Andechs, Germany
    2. The Alchemist, Waterbury, VT
    3. Alpine, Alpine, CA
    4. Dieu De Ciel, Montreal, CA
    5. Three Floyds, Munster, IN
    6. Ommegang, Cooperstown, NY
    7. De Halve Maan, Bruges, Belgium
    8. Alesmith, San Giego, CA
    9. The Brew Kettle, Stronsville, OH
    10. Stone, Escondido, CA
    11. Dogfish Head, Milton/Rehoboth Beach, DE
    12. Heavy Seas, Halethorpe, MD
    13. Troegs, Hershey, PA
    14. DC Brau, Washington, DC
    15. Port/Lost Abbey, San Marcos, CA
    16. Green Flash, San Diego, CA
    17. Hofbrauhaus, Munich, Germany
    18. Olde Saratoga Brewery, Saratoga, NY
    19. Weisses Brauhaus (Schneider), Munich, Germany
    20. Half Acre Brewing, Chicago, IL
    21. Revolution Brewing, Chicago, IL
    22. Union Craft, Baltimore, MD
    23. Coronado Brewing, Coronado, CA
    24. Mad Fox, Falls Church, VA
    25. 3 Stars Brewing, Washington, DC

Did the tour at Ommegang, De Halve Maan, Stone, Dogfish, Heavy Seas, and DC Brau.

7. godlessape

godlessape Savant (310) Georgia Dec 12, 2010

I've only toured the Red Hook brewery in New Hampshire, but I plan on touring SweetWater here in Atlanta and the Jail House brewery in Hampton GA.

8. Can't remember them all, I have been to a few. Youngs, Fullers, Cantillon, Spezial, Bells (old and new), Stone were all nice and stand out. Sierra Nevada beer camp was like going to heaven.

Edit - Firestone Walker, New Galrus, Anchor, Odells, Straffe Hendrick. There are more back in the memory banks.

9. Not counting brew pubs:
    In MN: Summit, Fulton, Indeed
    In AZ: Nimbus, OHSO
    In MA: Night Shift, Idle Hands, Sam Adams, Harpoon, Blue Hills, Wormtown
    In CA: Island
    Overseas: Carlsberg in Denmark

Favorites are Night Shift and Idle Hands, two nanobreweries in the same dingy warehouse in Everett, MA.

10. dna1964dna

dna1964dna Aficionado (185) Idaho Oct 2, 2012

Here's my current list:

Three Floyds
    Half Acre
    Revolution
    New Glarus
    Cigar City

New Glarus was a great experience – met the plant manager on a self tour and engaged in great conversation.

11. Been to:
    1. Stone
    2. Green Flash
    3. Mother Earth
    4. Tustin Brewery
    5. Port Brewing/Lost Abbey
    6. Alpine
    7. Coronado
    8. AleSmith
    9. Cismontane
    10. The Bruery
    11. Iron Fist

Overall favorite has always been Stone for their restaurant and garden. Great place to take chicks.
    I'm going to Russian River at the end of the month and I could not be more excited. Hopefully will hit Firestone Walker and Lagunitas on the way up too.

12. donno005

donno005 Zealot (90) Minnesota Dec 2, 2012

Surly. Mostly because the only thing better than a Surly, is 5 gratis Surlyes.

13. scud

scud Savant (335) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

As am I

14. djaeon

djaeon Champion (755) California Oct 2, 2006

I think the only one I've actually done the official "tour" of is Ballast Point.

15. New Glarus
    Lakefront Brewery
    Capital Brewery

16. The Samuel smiths organic choclate stout goes amazing with freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. A great pairing as well

17. Not exactly the height of craft beer but I really enjoyed visiting Yuengling; they take you down into a cave where they hid beer during prohibition. Have also been to Brooklyn, Sam Adams(Boston), Stoudts, Free Will, Yards, Forest and Main, Round Guys, Triumph(has a great restaurant), and Avondale.

18. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Been to quite a few top notch breweries, but rarely leave the pub.
    Crazy, I know.
    Love to belly-up. And stay put.

donno005 likes this.
  19. gos42

gos42 Aficionado (165) New Jersey Apr 30, 2009

Best brewery tour I've been on is Pilsner Urquell in the Czech Republic. Learned that the beer they drink in The Czech Republic, Germany and Slovakia is different than the beer everyone else gets. Also loved that they ferment the beer to these 3 countries in open fermenters. AND I got unfiltered Pilsner Urquell straight from the barrel--only place you can. Was fantastic.

20. donno005

donno005 Zealot (90) Minnesota Dec 2, 2012

Good man. Find the work. Do the work.

Casedogg43 likes this.
  21. I enjoy the belly up method as well but touring the place they were created has its own appeal ya know